• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Can you use a portable hard drive for music w/ Sync 2?

Started by 6500rpm, August 09, 2017, 09:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6500rpm

I've got a ton of music on flash drives that I use on my 13 SHO, the other day I purchased a Toshiba Canvio Connect II 1TB Portable Hard Drive, (HDTC810XR3A1) off Amazon to transfer all the music to 1 device, but when I attempted to play from it, the USB device was not recognized. Beside the music files the external hard drive has a "MAC Driver folder" and a "NTI folder" for backing up computer files. Is it as simple as removing those two files to allow Sync 2 to use the device or is the infotainment system just not going to be able to see and use the external hard drive? Work arounds?
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

TopherSho

Quote from: 6500rpm on August 09, 2017, 09:28:19 PM
I've got a ton of music on flash drives that I use on my 13 SHO, the other day I purchased a Toshiba Canvio Connect II 1TB Portable Hard Drive, (HDTC810XR3A1) off Amazon to transfer all the music to 1 device, but when I attempted to play from it, the USB device was not recognized. Beside the music files the external hard drive has a "MAC Driver folder" and a "NTI folder" for backing up computer files. Is it as simple as removing those two files to allow Sync 2 to use the device or is the infotainment system just not going to be able to see and use the external hard drive? Work arounds?

Sounds like the root of the drive is hosting the NTI backup software, and that it is not just a blank drive.   It will depend but you may be able to just plug it into the pc again and create a single folder on the root of the drive and then navigate into it manually..

if you cannot see the folder you just created on the root of the drive then the drive has some sort of a overlay that when it is mounted it tries to auto-run the NTI software.

you **might** grab gparted and use it to wipe all the partitions and the custom software partition and then just use it as a dumb drive.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Macgyver

I have TWO 128gb Thumb drives plugged in. Not sure how much music you really need.......

I would think that you could plug in two 256gb thumb drives. Not sure.

TopherSho

Quote from: Macgyver on August 10, 2017, 02:39:38 AM
I have TWO 128gb Thumb drives plugged in. Not sure how much music you really need.......

I would think that you could plug in two 256gb thumb drives. Not sure.

HMM it will depend in the number of BITS the OS is and the firmware/chipset of the entertainment system .. are the newer SHO models still using the Nvidia Tegra and Tegra2 mainboards ?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

Macgyver

Dont know. I was shocked the 2015 had TWO USB ports and both could be used for music.

LostnEye

I had an issue with one USB drive, I tried deleting everything and adding files again and no go. A have a couple others that work fine.
2013 Tuxedo Black/Mayan Grey PP, GH AO, GH IC, H&Rs, AD mounts

TopherSho

Another thing is you may need to format to FAT32 instead of NTFS