• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 Explorer Sport: Is replacing front sway bar bushings difficult?

Started by JimBob_SF, August 14, 2017, 01:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBob_SF

Sorry for the layup question, but every time I think something is easy on this car, I get educated.  Has anyone replaced the front bushings?

I've got clunking and i'm just gonna replace the sway bar bushings and end links because they are cheap and should be easy to do.  I've done this on tons of cars, but asking ahead always helps.

Thanks!

pmezo33

Clunking can be a few things in the front end.  Like you mentioned, end links and sway bar bushing are a few options.  End links are torn when they're bad.  You can also wiggle them around while up in the air.  If they wiggle, they're shot.  If you're not getting any play and the boots are good, they're probably fine.  Sway bar bushings start to dry rot and you'll see space between the bushings and the actual bar when they're bad. 

Check the lower control arm bushings as well.  You'll just need to get the car in the air and test with a good pry bar for play.  You can also get under the car while someone turns the wheel.  You'll be able to see play in the bushings as the wheel turns side to side.  Those bushings will cause clunking too either going forward and coming to a stop and/or going over bumps depending on which bushing is bad.

For your original question, i don't know the exact set up for your car, but they shouldn't be too hard.  It helps if you've got some good swivels, but it's pretty straight forward.  Loosen the bracket and pop off the bushings.  I like the bushings that come in two pieces.  Makes them really easy to install.