• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Any downside to ditching the engine cover?

Started by Agentlongwood, August 13, 2017, 02:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I just don't like the look of plastic engine covers.  Never have.  Pulled it off my previous car as soon as I got it home lol.  Is there any negative to taking it off and leaving it off?  I just ask because it has a lot of matting of some sort on the underside.  Is that heat shielding, sound deadening, fire retardant, or what?  I'd like to just leave the cover off, but not if it actually serves a purpose on these cars.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

bpd1151

Many have removed it.

It's primary purpose was duofold.

Eye candy & noise suppression.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

^^^^what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FearlessAZ

I have heard debates about how it traps heat. Not sure how true or not that is. At the end of the day, it is just a personal preference.

When you got one like BPD, I would rock it everywhere. Pop the hood just to go in the gas station and get a soda.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

ZSHO

The only down side it does get my engine a bit more dirty. Z  :D

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Vortech347

These engines are ugly as hell.  I'll gladly look at the plastic cover.  I used to think the 2v and 3v modulars were the worst, nope.

Carbon fiber hydrodipped ones look sweet.  Don't remember who it was on here that did it but man it was classy.   Loved it.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

bpd1151

Quote from: FearlessAZ on August 13, 2017, 03:40:00 PMWhen you got one like BPD, I would rock it everywhere. Pop the hood just to go in the gas station and get a soda.

Ha! That's actually happened! And more than one occassion at that! LOL. Oh the irony.

bamsho

Oh God,  Mike's getting a sweld head again.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: bamsho on August 13, 2017, 06:52:54 PM

Just keeping Dropbox in business... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpd1151

Quote from: bamsho on August 13, 2017, 06:52:54 PM
Brian enjoys a swollen head from what I understand.

He keeps more than Dropbox in business too, with his lofty fetishes/desires. Ha.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!