• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

BOV operation

Started by Linemonkey, August 06, 2017, 05:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linemonkey

I have the stock BOVs with VTA mod. How often are they supposed to operate? Sometimes I'll be driving steady part throttle, down the road, and they blow quickly 4-5 times in a row. Is that normal? Something is amiss with this car, and I can't figure out what it is. I'm AJP tuned, but it's pretty conservative. Knock sensors keep giving us fits. I doubt the two are related, but its driving me nuts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP Tuxedo Black
3 bar
160 T-STAT
Catless DPs
Tune by AJP

StealBlueSho

Check all your vacuum lines... when I first load AJPTURBO tunes they do similar at part throttle but goes away after a short while of driving.. not sure what it is..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tihsho73

Quote from: Linemonkey on August 06, 2017, 05:56:14 PM
I have the stock BOVs with VTA mod. How often are they supposed to operate? Sometimes I'll be driving steady part throttle, down the road, and they blow quickly 4-5 times in a row. Is that normal? Something is amiss with this car, and I can't figure out what it is. I'm AJP tuned, but it's pretty conservative. Knock sensors keep giving us fits. I doubt the two are related, but its driving me nuts.

That's the main reason why I reversed that mod. It made my car sound as if it was sneezing all the time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

Quote from: Tihsho73 on August 06, 2017, 05:58:54 PM

That's the main reason why I reversed that mod. It made my car sound as if it was sneezing all the time.

If your car was sneezing at you it was sick and something was wrong. The only reason ever to do vta is if you want the car to make noise and announce your presence and broadcast you have turbo...which is fine also

Very little need to touch the 2 tables that control bov operation...i have never touched that stuff

Cold air kits can make "pedaling" the gas more noticeable and any noises in the intake more audible as you lose some of the intake muffling 
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Tihsho73

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 06, 2017, 08:59:28 PM
Quote from: Tihsho73 on August 06, 2017, 05:58:54 PM

If your car was sneezing at you it was sick and something was wrong. The only reason ever to do vta is if you want the car to make noise and announce your presence and broadcast you have turbo...which is fine also

Very little need to touch the 2 tables that control bov operation...i have never touched that stuff

Cold air kits can make "pedaling" the gas more noticeable and any noises in the intake more audible as you lose some of the intake muffling
Doesn't really matter to me now as I bought hot pipes and a Tial BOV. I find the Tial BOV sounds louder, but I could be imagining that.

ZSHO

I was never a big fan of the VTA Mod!
Is there any oil present around the BOV and such ? Z
Try disconnecting the front power harness from the BOV briefly to monitor for any changes and vice-versa .Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

polskifacet

Biggest reason for me to do the vta mod was simply to hear whats going on/working as expected. I do get a bit of oil around the BOV pipe fittings. I do occasionaly hear them blow off a couple times in succession but that is usually when ill going up and inline at partial throttle to where it builds some boost and then when the street levels out it will blow off a few times depending on how stable my foot is.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

StealBlueSho

I always go back and forth with the VTA mod..... sometimes not advertising that this Taurus has turbos is nice... but then... I do like turning heads...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linemonkey

I had assumed it was normal and I just couldn't hear it before, but I wanted to make sure.

2013 SHO PP Tuxedo Black
3 bar
160 T-STAT
Catless DPs
Tune by AJP