• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Extra Catch can installation?

Started by Macgyver, July 14, 2017, 12:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

I have a SAIKOU MICHI Company Catch can from another car I got rid of. It was a four banger engine. Can this be installed on the SHO ?

Pic is roughly what I have.

Macgyver

FiveLeeter918

Personally I wouldn't. On boost it'll just turn into a venturi tube and suck all the collected oil back into the engine. You really need something with a checkvalve to seal the can under boost.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

Macgyver

I can install a check valve. Thats easy.......

FiveLeeter918

- Lee

Macgyver

Back to the original question. How do you hook up just One catch can like this one with a check valve..................................

FiveLeeter918

Remove the PCV valve house going from the back valve cover to the intake manifold. Plug one side into the valve cover port going to the can, and the other going from the can to the the check valve then to the manifold.
- Lee

Macgyver

So thats the dirtier side and will yield the best results.

Thanks !!!

FiveLeeter918

yes sir. I installed my UPR can the other night and that's where they routed it. They also have a clean side which connects to the oil cap filler and to the bung on the charge pipe. But the manifold and rear cover is where the separation needs to happen.
- Lee

Agentlongwood

Wouldn't the separation need to happen on both sides?  The connection on the front side goes to the intake piping on the inlet side of the turbo.  So under boost the turbo creates vacuum on the inlet side, which sucks the oil/vapor/etc into the turbo... It then ends up as that gunk that pools in the intercooler.

I'd really like to find a system that eliminates any gasses at all entering the intake tract.  So far no luck.  I have seen some folks run a catch can between the rear valve cover and intake manifold and then just a breather filter on the front valve cover. 
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

FiveLeeter918

- Lee

Agentlongwood

I'm going to install a catch can of some sort sooner or later... but damn I wish they were so crazy expensive.  $350 just seems insane for a can and some tubing.  Unless they are using gold and platinum as the separating media, it just baffles me, lol
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Macgyver

Ok so now the last stupid question. Which way do you want the check valve to work. I assume the valve to stop the stuff from sucking back into the valve cover under boost?

And on to Agentlongwoods point. Since you can buy inexpensive Baffled Catch cans on Amazon or Ebay. I found one for $40 that is really well made. Can you just plumb two and call it a system? One on EACH valve cover combined with check valves? If the other one needs a check valve that is.

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: Macgyver on August 04, 2017, 10:27:32 PM
Ok so now the last stupid question. Which way do you want the check valve to work. I assume the valve to stop the stuff from sucking back into the valve cover under boost?

And on to Agentlongwoods point. Since you can buy inexpensive Baffled Catch cans on Amazon or Ebay. I found one for $40 that is really well made. Can you just plumb two and call it a system? One on EACH valve cover combined with check valves? If the other one needs a check valve that is.

Arrow on the check valve points to the intake manifold
- Lee

Macgyver

Roger that.

Thanks for the help.

Will be installing soonish. Sons are visiting on leave from the Air Force.