• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Battery relocation

Started by Agentlongwood, August 04, 2017, 08:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

It's pretty tightly packaged in the 3.5 ecoboost engine bays, so are there any battery relocation options?  Seems like relocating it to the trunk would free up a good chunk of real estate under the hood.  Combine that with an intake like the MDesign and that's a ton of space you've freed up.  We certainly have the trunk space to spare, lol.  It also seems like it would be easier on the battery, since the trunk is so much less harsh of an environment.  Any reason this isn't a more common mod?  I'm not seeing a lot of downside. 

2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

AJP turbo

Quote from: Agentlongwood on August 04, 2017, 08:56:02 PM
  Any reason this isn't a more common mod? 

Diminishing returns....I can think of a few other ways to spend a couple of hours than relocating a battery...Most people don't road race these hogs so nobody really cares about the balance of the car. And the batteries last 5 years generally if not longer so if you get 6 or 7 from relocating I think most people wouldn't care.

And then if you have a new SHO or MKS you may have warranty problems when they see the battery in the trunk.

And the AWD system if front biased so for drag racing I'd rather have it up front.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Gjkrisa

Because no one thought of a reason for the space I guess I was thinking of ways of putting one twinscroll turbo in they say they are
Quicker boost response
• Increases power at all engine speeds
• Reduces mixing losses
• Maximizes pulse energy to the turbine wheel
• Increases turbine efficiency
• Improves "low-end" performance similar to a twin-turbo system
• Reduces pumping losses
• Reduces fuel consumption
Don't remember the brand I was going to go to think Garrett guess I didn't book mark it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

Agentlongwood

That makes a lot of sense.  I had read a couple threads where people had mentioned it was a tight fit to try and find places for meth reservoirs and what not.  I figured it might be a cheap (although kind of tedious) way to free up a good chunk of space.

For a minute I thought about that since you are essentially replacing a cubic foot or so of solid material with air, it would help with under hood temps and cooldown between runs at the strip.  But I figured the difference would be so small it may as well be zero.

So yeah I suppose the only real benefit would be freeing up some space.   
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

J-Will

Quote from: Agentlongwood on August 04, 2017, 09:33:42 PM
That makes a lot of sense.  I had read a couple threads where people had mentioned it was a tight fit to try and find places for meth reservoirs and what not.  I figured it might be a cheap (although kind of tedious) way to free up a good chunk of space.

For a minute I thought about that since you are essentially replacing a cubic foot or so of solid material with air, it would help with under hood temps and cooldown between runs at the strip.  But I figured the difference would be so small it may as well be zero.

So yeah I suppose the only real benefit would be freeing up some space.

if thats the only reason, its probably easier to just put the meth tank in the trunk
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

ZSHO

That's why many have taken the MDesign route to free up space in the front while gaining access to your trans fluid is a plus.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|