• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lowering intake air temps with exhaust "mods"

Started by Agentlongwood, August 04, 2017, 08:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I saw, and commented in, a thread about heat wrapping the factory airbox to lower intake temps.  It got me thinking though... The exhaust is one of the super hot things under the hood, so what about addressing that?  In theory heat wrapping the exhaust manifolds and downpipes along with teeny-weeny turbo blankets for our little tubros, would cut down on the temps under the hood right?  I know it's a long shot but anyone ever actually try this? Do they even make blankets small enough for our twin turbskies?
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

StealBlueSho

There are a couple guys who have done that... not sure if they have posted lower IATs due to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macgyver

I know one thing. When I get home from driving. I pop the hood to let the heat out. There is a lot of heat and it stays hot for hours.

So doing the exhaust should help for the times when you are rolling up to the start line by keeping the engine bay a few(or more) ? degrees cooler.

AJP turbo

Quote from: Macgyver on August 04, 2017, 10:51:09 PM
I know one thing. When I get home from driving. I pop the hood to let the heat out. There is a lot of heat and it stays hot for hours.

So doing the exhaust should help for the times when you are rolling up to the start line by keeping the engine bay a few(or more) ? degrees cooler.

Grasping at straws
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress