• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Time for new tires... Input needed

Started by ecobeast13, July 23, 2017, 07:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

I run Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's which is a summer tire only.  Very happy with them so far.  I've put about 14,000 miles on them since mounting them back in April, rotated them once and really don't notice much wear yet.  I feel pretty confident I'll get 35,000-40,000 miles out of them.  Now I just need to get some 18" All-Seasons for the winter.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

avidmotion

Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

bpd1151

I recently parted ways with my tried, true, and long trusted Continental Extreme Contact DWS's and have chosen to replace them with a new set of Nitto NT555 G2's instead.

The Conti's served me incredibly well I must say, and I highly recommend their use.

However, this change was prompted primarily due to the fact that I no longer drive my SHO in the winter, and also no longer use it as a DD.

Opting for a performance only rated tire, rather than a dedicated all season variant, was appropriate given my aforementioned change in driving habits.

Initial reactions are the Nitto's seem quieter,  and more controlled/responsive than the Conti's

Don't really have enough mileage on them to report anything more than that at this time. The sidewall design does look more appealing IMHO.

StealBlueSho

I have BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2 Summer Tires... 245/45/20's. They are OK for daily driving and do well in the rain. They are terrible in the snow (but the are summer only tires sooo can't hold that against them) and DECENT at best on the track.

They handle much better in the twisties than they do in a straight line. For 1/4 mile runs they really need to be warmed up which we can't do, so no matter how I launch I always get some wheel spin.. frustrating to say the least.

IMHO I would NOT recommend these tires. 

AJP turbo

Quote from: bpd1151 on March 26, 2018, 03:12:05 AM
I recently parted ways with my tried, true, and long trusted Continental Extreme Contact DWS's

Probably because they were old and crusty and dry rotted from lack of use lol
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

derfdog15

Quote from: Agentlongwood on July 24, 2017, 12:37:05 PM
I'm in Florida so I run can run a summer tire all year.  I stay away from All-Seasons since there is no need in my climate.  For a summer tire, I cannot recommend the Michelin Pilot Super Sport enough.  I ran them on my previous car (Lexus GS430) and they actually do live up to the hype.  The car stopped HARD during the 2 real panic stops I made while running that tire.  They have amazing grip in the wet, which does matter a lot in Orlando.  That's my $.02

I still usually run all seasons on cars that don't see winter, for daily duty anyway, since they handle wet conditions much better than pure summers. That said, I am going to be running NT555s on my mustang in 315/35 on the rear and I enjoy the nittos. I would have gladly gone to a nitto on my SHO if it wasn't a DD.

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 26, 2018, 08:38:33 AM
I have BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2 Summer Tires... 245/45/20's. They are OK for daily driving and do well in the rain. They are terrible in the snow (but the are summer only tires sooo can't hold that against them) and DECENT at best on the track.

They handle much better in the twisties than they do in a straight line. For 1/4 mile runs they really need to be warmed up which we can't do, so no matter how I launch I always get some wheel spin.. frustrating to say the least.

I ran the sport comp 2 A/S and they actually handled snow pretty alright. Hooked pretty nice as well. To warm mine up I would hot lap the car with a few hard launches. If it was a slow night you could do some john force length launches and back up to staging again.

2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

StealBlueSho

Quote from: derfdog15 on March 26, 2018, 10:23:26 AM
Quote from: Agentlongwood on July 24, 2017, 12:37:05 PM
I'm in Florida so I run can run a summer tire all year.  I stay away from All-Seasons since there is no need in my climate.  For a summer tire, I cannot recommend the Michelin Pilot Super Sport enough.  I ran them on my previous car (Lexus GS430) and they actually do live up to the hype.  The car stopped HARD during the 2 real panic stops I made while running that tire.  They have amazing grip in the wet, which does matter a lot in Orlando.  That's my $.02

I still usually run all seasons on cars that don't see winter, for daily duty anyway, since they handle wet conditions much better than pure summers. That said, I am going to be running NT555s on my mustang in 315/35 on the rear and I enjoy the nittos. I would have gladly gone to a nitto on my SHO if it wasn't a DD.

Quote from: stealbluesho on March 26, 2018, 08:38:33 AM

I ran the sport comp 2 A/S and they actually handled snow pretty alright. Hooked pretty nice as well. To warm mine up I would hot lap the car with a few hard launches. If it was a slow night you could do some john force length launches and back up to staging again.

The A/S are a completely different tire than the summer ones. I would guess for our application the A/S would actually perform better at the track...

Agentlongwood

I still usually run all seasons on cars that don't see winter, for daily duty anyway, since they handle wet conditions much better than pure summers.

Huh?  Summer tires are better in the wet than all seasons.  It rains all the time in summer, so they need to handle water.  The advantage of all seasons is that they maintain traction when it gets colder.  Good summer tires will destroy all seasons in wet traction.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

derfdog15

Quote from: Agentlongwood on March 26, 2018, 11:19:43 AM
I still usually run all seasons on cars that don't see winter, for daily duty anyway, since they handle wet conditions much better than pure summers.

Huh?  Summer tires are better in the wet than all seasons.  It rains all the time in summer, so they need to handle water.  The advantage of all seasons is that they maintain traction when it gets colder.  Good summer tires will destroy all seasons in wet traction.

Probably should clarify. My 'pure summer' definition is restricted to tires like NT555s, which are HORRIBLE in the wet, especially when they're almost 11 inches wide (315/35/17). I'll take an A/S in the wet anyday over an NT555. I guess a legit summer like a pilot sport, or goodyear F1 would be a different story, but I've never run something like that on the back of my stang.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SilvererSHO

That may be true, but I can't see a dedicated summer tire resisting hydroplaning in HEAVY rain and/or standing water like an All Season tire will.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

Agentlongwood

Quote from: SilvererSHO on March 26, 2018, 04:10:42 PM

That may be true, but I can't see a dedicated summer tire resisting hydroplaning in HEAVY rain and/or standing water like an All Season tire will.
Summer tires are designed to resist hydroplaning. Their compound and tread pattern specifically, are what allow that. All seasons give up wet traction and hydroplane resistance in order to gain cold weather traction and some snow capability. Track tires are an exception. But any summer tire should have better hydroplane resistance than it's all season counterpart. (Pilot super sport vs pilot sport a/s 3, for example)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Leadfoot

I'm on the second set of Continental DSW 06 tires. the first set lasted 40K but started sounding like a bad hub when they were worn. They're much better than the original Michelins that came with the car, softer ride but holds the corners much better. I upsized to 255 45 20s, fills the wheelwells and no rubbing.
2018 Taurus SHO White, non pp (ACC) 20/35% tint, ceramic coating, hot pipes, PPE catted down pipes, GH Auto tune, 170 degree t-Stat. Anthony DiCunzolo gen 2 rear mount.

lamrith

While I have not changed tires on the SHO, I put new tires on my V before I sold it.  I went with the Conti DW (now called Extreme Contact Sport I believe), which is the summer performance version.  I can tell people that they handled rain and wet very very well and they are on the short list of tires for when I need new tires on the SHO. (DW, firehawk Indy500)  I never tracked that car though, so cannot vouch for straight line launch grip.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

TopherSho

I *WANT* those Conti-DWs more than anything.. but they are expensive to replace every 12-18 months..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

avidmotion

I really had good luck and loved the gmax 03 on my G8 gt rwd, so I was going to do the Gmax 05, then I got the ok from the wife to go summers.....I think i will do 245 45 20 with the new GMAX RS summer tire, word is they are awesome. Walmart online 135 shipped for the 245, 360 AA A
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/game-changer-new-g-max-uhp-breaks-pricegrip-barrier/
Also found a 70 dollar rebate on 4 generals until 4-15-18, form on general site
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.