• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Questions on rotors and pads before I replace them

Started by RockyMtnEcoBoost, July 22, 2017, 01:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockyMtnEcoBoost

Hello,

I have a 2014 ExSport at 45000 miles and am preparing to do the first brake service. I've read that most, or all, of the performance rotors are based on Chinese slugs that companies mill, drill and slot. Also, that I should stick with a rotor that was manufactured with OE specifications and that the best performance upgrade you can do is buy better pads. I'm sure there are numerous opinions, but is there any merit to what I read?

SHOdded

Can't speak for origin of the slugs,  but OEM rotors for your XSport are very good.  Its the specs and QC that matter not country of origin anyway.  Unless you are moving to a multipiece rotor or a BBK, or want an xdrilled/slotted setup, no need to step away from OEM.

Pads yes there are better ootions.  You can get police interceptor pads for one thing.  EBC now has Orangestuff their best pad for suvs/trucks, that outperforms their Yellowstuff.  There's Carbotech and Porterfield.  Many options, depending on what you are trying to achieve.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

RockyMtnEcoBoost

timbo

Agreed with SHOdded about the rotors.  A good quality OE replacement is all that is needed.  I did the same brakes from the 2014 onto my 2011 SHO (made part # searching more consistant) and went with the Raybestos Advanced Tech.  They are Coated rotors and look nice even after a good 10k miles.  Pads I went with are the Raybestos Enhanced Hybrid where they are a Metallic/Ceramic.  You really don't need to go crazy if you don't drive the vehicle crazy.  EBC are good, I just think they are overpriced and overkill for the majority of people who use them.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

SHOdded

No idea on mfr of the PI pads, sorry.  But I think they are a good alternative from Ford.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

RockyMtnEcoBoost

Thank you all so much, this is great feedback. Do you foresee an issue with different pads and rotors on the front and back of the vehicle?

Quinid

I bought stoptech brakes and rotors for my SHO. They so far have outlasted my stock ones. However, you can hear the slots and holes when you hard brake and gives you a slight pedal feeling as if they are warped. They are not warped tho. I later did some research and found that the slotted/drilled rotors are a joke. You really want to go slotted, drilled, or smooth. Going with both slotted and drilled at the same time has diminishing returns. If I were to do it all over again, I would definitely try the police interceptor setup or go with drilled only.
Just my 2 cents.
2014 Blue Flex 303A Appearance package all stock
2000 F250 XLT 7.3L 410k miles
SOLD--2010 nonPP SHO  Unleashed 93 tune, 3 bar map, K&N drop in filter. PPE Catted Downpipes. VTA mod
1957 Chevy 3200 pickup 3 speed stock straight 6
1968 Camaro RS 3 speed 350 sb with vortec heads.