• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Coolant smell and loss of coolant; engine running too warm?

Started by Primalzer, May 26, 2017, 03:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Quote from: Primalzer on June 01, 2017, 10:58:54 AM
Little update: Talked to the dealer, and he said he wouldn't be able to do anything unless the idiot gauge on the dash gets to the red. I REALLY don't want to wait until that occurs...220 is too hot @SHOdded would you be able to confirm the 3.5 EB Flex fan activation? In theory it has the 190* stat.

Give me your strategy and i will try to look tonight....many stock tunes have the fans set to come on full at 224 and nothing below that
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Primalzer

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 01, 2017, 07:09:34 PM
Little update: Talked to the dealer, and he said he wouldn't be able to do anything unless the idiot gauge on the dash gets to the red. I REALLY don't want to wait until that occurs...220 is too hot @SHOdded would you be able to confirm the 3.5 EB Flex fan activation? In theory it has the 190* stat.

Give me your strategy and i will try to look tonight....many stock tunes have the fans set to come on full at 224 and nothing below that

Pardon my ignorance, what is the strategy and how do I get it to you...? Haha, fairly new to the EcoBoost realm
2011 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost
-2013+ PP SHO front brake conversion

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on May 26, 2017, 03:59:05 PM
Quote from: Primalzer on May 26, 2017, 03:50:55 PM
So I had the car in for some brake system work at the dealer a week or so back. I had them take a look at the cooling system as after a longer drive, I get the distinct smell of coolant. Now the fluid level, when taken to the dealer was on the low side; at the bottom-most acceptable cold level, when warm. They topped it off, but I'm still getting the smell. I've also noticed that the car runs pretty warm, especially in traffic. I have an Ultragauge, and consistently see 220* in traffic, which seems high to me (even though it doesn't register on the dash's idiot gauge.) And it's not like I'm in warm/hot climate, it still Chicago spring, and we're still in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

Dealer did a pressure test, and the system holds pressure. Worthwhile to replace the reservoir cap?

Monitor the fluid level... the smell could be from one of the techs spilling it everywhere... it takes a long time for that smell to go away...

As the motor warms up so does the smell...

Where is the needle on the temp gauge?

A VERY long time..  I spilled maybe 1/2 a cup doing my thermostat swap.  And I still smell it after a nice alcohol/windex bath in the morning.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Primalzer

Quote from: Primalzer on June 02, 2017, 08:35:32 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on June 01, 2017, 07:09:34 PM

Pardon my ignorance, what is the strategy and how do I get it to you...? Haha, fairly new to the EcoBoost realm

OK, figured out what the strategy is, but I don't think I have any way of getting it to you, without a tuner, correct?

In other news, threw on a new rad/expansion tank cap.

SHOdded

Correct, need a tuning device to pull the current strategy code from the PCM.  Might be physically on the PCM or in the vicinity, but no way to know if that stategy is current.

I don't think Forscan Lite pulls that info, but I'd have to check.

Let's see how the new cap does.  The water pump does have a weep hole.  The smell might be from coolant escaping via that route.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Primalzer

Coolant smell is less pronounced, but temps still do creep up when the AC is not on. When keeping an eye on the temps, it does go up to about 215, and then back down to 190-195 and cycles back up. Could that be a stock 190 t-stat? I get conflicting information on what the stock temperature for the t-stat, either 190 or 180.

Also, I picked up a used LME myCal, it hasn't been "unlocked" but should it be able to pull the strategy still?

SHOdded

Sounds like a stock tstat to me.  I believe the cooling fans come on around 220F. 

Might want to take the bellypan off and check the waterpump weephole.  If that looks good, most likely a hose-related issue, or the radiator has a pinhole leak.  Neither of these is common at all, but maybe some work done in the past is not holding up.  Also, check the degas bottle thoroughly for cracks, as that was an issue on some Fusions in years past.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Primalzer

I'll be underneath hopefully tonight or tomorrow night for an oil change anyways, so I'll take a gander.

Primalzer

Everything looked clean underneath last night and the coolant tank level has remained steady on the high side while either cold or hot. Maybe I'm just imagining the smell. :bangin:

SHOdded

I would keep an eye on it but not worry till some concrete evidence surfaces or symptoms get worse.