• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Are some catch cans way more complicated then necessary?

Started by Agentlongwood, July 18, 2017, 09:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

I recently looked at a diagram (See below) for one of the catch cans and immediately thought "Wow I need some education on this.  Half these lines seem unnecessary to me."  I figure there has to be a reason for the extra lines so here I am.  As I understand it the factory system is just 1 line from the valve cover to the intake manifold.  As I understand it the point of a catch can is to reduce "gunk" recirculating into the motor via that port in the intake manifold.  If that's all it is, why not just insert the catch can along that single line and be done with it?  That would solve the problem of gunk getting into the intake manifold, and thus intake valves. 

If that is the case, then what is the purpose of adding the lines from the turbos? and the clean side separator?  In all fairness the diagram lists the CSS as "optional" though it does not mark "Line A" as optional. If the factory system doesn't need Line A then what function does it serve?  I can't imagine it keeps more gunk out of the intake manifold...  But I admit it's something I don't fully understand, so I came here to learn up on the details.

2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

glock-coma

During turbo boost the intake manifold is no longer providing vacuum for the catch can. That's where the lines going to the turbo piping comes in. The passing air pressure inside the turbo piping  causes  a Venturi effect providing vacuum while under boost.
Also the check valves installed in the lines prevent pressurizing the crankcase.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

glock-coma

The CSS provides clean air from the filtered air side of the air box. It gives the engine somewhere to "pull" air from. 
Some people just put a breather filter on the valve cover but those often become saturated with oil.

Agentlongwood

You provide an awesome explanation of what Line A is doing.  I'm just wondering what the benefit of doing that is.  For example, why does the catch can need vacuum during boost if the factory system doesn't need it.  I get that it there would be no negative pressure to suck air through the can during boost, but why does that matter?  The vapors would just be wouldn't be collected until you got out of boost and returned to a vacuum condition, right?  You're only under boost for a few seconds at a time, which seems to be fine for the factory system.

As for the CSS, your explanation of what it does makes perfect sense.  I'm just wondering whats the point of giving the engine somewhere to pull air from.  If it was harmful for an engine to run without one, wouldn't they be common on factory set ups?

Last item that I'm confused about.  Line A attaches on the INLET side of the turbo, which raises 2 questions.  That air isn't pressurized, so is a check valve needed?  Also, since it's creating vacuum from a location BEFORE the turbo doesn't that mean that even if the catch can filters out 90% of the gunk, that means that 10% of it is being sucked into the turbo itself... that doesn't sound good.  And it seems so unnecessary since the turbos ingest ZERO of that gunk in a factory set up.

I feel like there has to be some critical info or concept that I don't understand yet. 

Agentlongwood

To be clear, I'm not intending to be a smart ass.  I genuinely don't understand the benefit of the functions these items perform, and challenging them is just a way to learn.

glock-coma

I'm by no means an expert on these occ designs, I'm just going by what I learned durning my install.
Tracy from rx was very active awhile back but hasn't been active for awhile. Maybe send him a message or post in the vendor area with specific questions.

Agentlongwood

Thanks man, I appreciate the help.  I may just send them a message because I've been reading old threads in the catch can section for over an hour lol.  I've learned a good deal about how they operate, and found some good info on other related topics.  But nothing to answer these specifics.  Best I can tell at the moment is that you get 100% of the effect of protecting the intake valves from buildup by just using lines B and C.  Adding Line A and letting the can operate while under boost doesn't increase the protection of the intake but it does evacuate blow by gasses from the crankcase more quickly, which improves oil life?  I'm about 70% certain I've gotten that wrong somehow but it's the best I can come up with lol. 

ZSHO

FWIW RX and Tracy are only a stone throw away from you in Sunny FL.   
It all boils down to customer service and support.
Do a quick Google search on Blow by!!! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Agentlongwood

Right on man, that's good to know.  What is Tracy's username on here?  I'll bother him with a bunch of questions, lol. Should I learn anything really useful, I'll be sure to share it here.

SHOdded

Tracy's RxP and the current RxP are not the same company.  The history is a bit tangled, but regardless. The current Team RxP offerings, at least for the Ecoboosts, remain based on Tracy's design.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!