• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Can catted down pipes general any smell?

Started by MKS Tom, June 21, 2019, 05:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKS Tom

Quote from: ZSHO on July 26, 2019, 07:01:56 AM
Quote from: MKS Tom on July 26, 2019, 04:45:11 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on July 25, 2019, 01:58:48 PM
Quote from: MKS Tom on July 25, 2019, 03:22:49 AM
Mine has gone away too.  They are awesome pipes so I am glad it was not a long-term thing.

What do you contribute the smell going away to?

I am assuming it was gasket material as ZSHO alluded to.  I'm not sure exactly. I did notice that the charge pipe was not put back flush against (thought I had it very tight) from when I had removed it to gain access to the rear plugs when I changed them all the night before dropping it off to have my mechanic install the downpipes.  I doubt it was that, but I do think it seemed stronger when I had the AC on too on those few times I had happen and less of a smell when it was off.  Who knows.   The first night I had pulled logs for you I had ran logs on the other tune and didn't notice it, but that was an very long night as I ran those logs, returned to stock, took 3 hours for the update the SCT, loaded your tune, and ran logs.  All the while trying not to hit deer or alert my local police with my excess speeding at 4-5 am to get log info.  lol
They needed some time to "break in" as these are catted DP that's all! Z

The reason he is asking me is I approached him with the issue prior getting his tune.  I was keeping it out of boost as it was only at WOT in the event I had a tune issue before switching to his.  I began to drive it like a grandmom for 7-10 days prior so it may have cleared out by then without me knowing it.  When I got on it for datalogs for both tunes the one night of getting on it I didn't notice anything but I had also tightened up my charge pipe too that wasn't flush.  I am guessing it is simply the break in for the pipes/gaskets but we were trying to source this for a bit. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.