• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Basic Breather mods (intake/ exhaust)

Started by J-Will, March 12, 2014, 02:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Will

As I am playing catch up to find out what the aftermarket environment is like for my SHO, I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews as far as intakes go.  Is the consensus that all intakes provide little performance to potentially even power loss?  The recommendation being to go with just a replacement filter?

I see a lot of people going with the Corsa cat back.  Is this considered the best cat back right now because it removes the third cat, and acts as the only true dual exhaust cat back option? 

I'm diving into the mod world for this car, I figured I'd start with some of the basics that lay the ground work for future mods.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

yowen

As for air intakes they seem to be mostly for noise-fluff at the moment. K&N's version seems to add the most air-sucking fx to the SHO soundtrack, I personally went with the Airaid though, as they offered a dry-filter design (no oiling). It only added a little bit of turbo noise.

There are some more advanced air intake designs in development, as I understand it, but I haven't seen any products come forth from those efforts just yet.
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

BiGMaC

If you want some more sound from under the hood or like it as eye candy... go for it, nothing wrong with that.  :beer2:

But currently I can't personally recommend anything over the stock box based on the data if performance is the issue.  :naughty:

4DR has documented instances of performance declining. 

Here's the post with back-to-back dyno testing: http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=2270.msg32717#msg32717

Don't know if there is consensus....  just be happy with your mods and personally understand what your doing!   Keep Modding!   :thumb:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

CAI choice is primarily at this point really about what looks and sounds GOOD to you , eye-candy and/or noise fluff.

Corsa is the only full catback on the market  , they also have a new offering with Black Exhaust tips .

Quote from: SwampRat on February 26, 2014, 09:25:02 PM

New Product : Pro Series Black Tip

http://www.corsaperformance.com/viewpart.aspx?year=2013&make=Ford&model=Taurus&partnum=14315BLK&cfg=378

2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BigPelo

Quote from: SwampRat on March 12, 2014, 03:02:30 PM

Corsa is the only full catback on the market

Isn't Stainless Work also a complete catback that flange to factory downpipes?
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

SwampRat

Quote from: BigPelo on March 12, 2014, 03:12:18 PM
Quote from: SwampRat on March 12, 2014, 03:02:30 PM

Corsa is the only full catback on the market

Isn't Stainless Work also a complete catback that flange to factory downpipes?

No , it has a resonator  ...

2021 Edge ST

yowen

I was under the impression that any exhaust system that replaces everything form the cat and beyond is considered a catback exhaust, regardless of the amount of mufflers and/or resonators it might add.
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

SwampRat

Quote from: yowen on March 12, 2014, 03:30:41 PM
I was under the impression that any exhaust system that replaces everything form the cat and beyond is considered a catback exhaust, regardless of the amount of mufflers and/or resonators it might add.

Valid point ..  these other systems are using a resonator .. But is it a combined or straight through path ?

2021 Edge ST

SHOmanMike84

Borla and Magnaflow also make cat-back systems for the SHO's.

2013 SHO, PP, Unleashed E25 tune, 3bar, aFe panel filter, 170* thermo, PPE catted DP's, 3rd cat delete, Eibach springs, Black powder coated flower wheels.

BiGMaC

:jacked:

Apologies J-Will... first two posts do have opinions you asked for.

All good info, ut hard to find in the future.  Maybe the catback discussion should continue on one of the 6 or so threads that exist on it in the SHO/MKS Intake/Exhaust section... options are here: http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?board=22.0

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock