• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Help me Choose: Downpipes, Custom Exhaust or Electric Cut-outs

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, March 10, 2014, 12:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT82ECOBOOST

I just can not take it anymore as I need to add some noise to this car while still keeping my eye on the prize for performance on and off the strip. So here are the three options I am contemplating:
-PPE downpipes w/o cats ($600)
      -A solid base for other exhaust mods that will not have much of a change on exhaust note while picking maybe 20 hp.
-2.5" Custom Exhaust ($600)
     -Connected to stock downpipes will provide appreciable downstream flow and may get me 15-20hp. Great base for future mods and will definitely get me the sound I want.
-QTP Electric Cut-outs ($400 +$200 install)
     -Weld in (2) cutouts as close to downstream of the O2 sensors as possible. This will give me an nice option for dual mode exhaust that I can tune with the flick of a button. Not sure of exact gains to be had, but would think that this mod alone would yield more than either the downpipes or the exhaust system.
Right now it is a toss up between these three as they are all priced about the same. Additional tuning will be done to support the mods to yield the best results. Currently I am leaning to the electric cutouts due to performance gains and the race car sounds that I can turn on and off.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

BigPelo

Catless downpipes will increase sound a bit, remove the biggest restriction of the exhaust and increase turbo spooling. Seems like the best choice to me. That's what I will be doing next :)
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

QuickSilver

I have cut outs on a couple project cars and they are great for 'sounding angry' :o but the downpipes will be working for you all the time. Was both one of your options? 8)
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

SwampRat

I would do the Downpipes first .
Love the Corsa though , my PP catless are going on tonight
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

I agree with SW... Go down pipes first.... then it's your call on the cutout versus the catback, but I personally wouldn't do both of the latter two.

I do believe that you really don't need both a cutout and a catback....  if you go cutout just replace tips if you want. 
If you go with the Corsa they claim 120% increased flow.... so why do a cutout... the engine can only use (pump) a certain amount of air. 

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 10, 2014, 02:02:17 PM
I agree with SW... Go down pipes first.... then it's your call on the cutout versus the fatback.

Fatback   LOL

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

2021 Edge ST