• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Shift points?

Started by FiveLeeter918, July 07, 2017, 03:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiveLeeter918

Are you guys seeing any benefit to raising the shift points and rev limiters above the 6000 factory setting? Been looking at everyone's logs and it seems few go higher than the 6000 factory shift points. Any reason to that?
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on July 07, 2017, 03:56:34 PM
Are you guys seeing any benefit to raising the shift points and rev limiters above the 6000 factory setting? Been looking at everyone's logs and it seems few go higher than the 6000 factory shift points. Any reason to that?

LMS tunes shift around 6300 RPMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopherSho

With my limited mods of a tune and 3-bar i saw no benefit in my testing to shift late or early.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Josephm

These small of turbos run out of steam and start becoming inefficient thus blowing hot air.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Josephm on July 08, 2017, 02:13:38 PM
These small of turbos run out of steam and start becoming inefficient thus blowing hot air.
That feeling of being out of breath at high RPM disappears when you crank the spark.

If I had a choice I would rev to 6700 in 1st and 2nd, too bad my trans is a fickle beeotch...

StealBlueSho

100% agree with FoMoCoSHO... once you crank up the spark it's not an issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FiveLeeter918

Im currently 16psi and 15-16 spark.
- Lee

TopherSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on July 08, 2017, 02:24:53 PM
Quote from: Josephm on July 08, 2017, 02:13:38 PM
That feeling of being out of breath at high RPM disappears when you crank the spark.

If I had a choice I would rev to 6700 in 1st and 2nd, too bad my trans is a fickle beeotch...

Can't wait to test my meth kit fully.. I am eager to see what spark I get back at 5000+ rpm .. 
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

ncole

Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on July 09, 2017, 08:40:49 PM

The only means I currently have of seeing timing is via the Torque app on my phone.  The values range from 50+ to -10.  -10 shows rarely, and only under WOT.  -8 is pretty normal for WOT, but sometimes it won't muster more than -4.  50+ is when I am cruising.  What is the deal with these numbers and how does it relate to your 15-16 degrees you are referencing?  I have not noticed any correlation between timing and boost either.   

I see 16-17 psi occasionally, but would say 15 is my normal high.  Sometimes I shift 6200-6300 at WOT, sometimes at WOT it short shifts at 5700-5800.  I feel like this car has a very short memory.  Meaning if I don't run it hard all the time, it defaults back to grandma driving real fast.  I feel like if I want to get her going I need to do about three WOT runs before the car finally realizes I do want to get up and go. 
2011 black on black SHO.  MDesign CAI, Livernois 93 Stage 4 Plus X RACE 3BAR (running some E85 in to boost octane), 160° Thermostat, Livernois gapped plugs, 3 bar MAP

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ncole on July 13, 2017, 02:55:37 PM
Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on July 09, 2017, 08:40:49 PM

The only means I currently have of seeing timing is via the Torque app on my phone.  The values range from 50+ to -10.  -10 shows rarely, and only under WOT.  -8 is pretty normal for WOT, but sometimes it won't muster more than -4.  50+ is when I am cruising.  What is the deal with these numbers and how does it relate to your 15-16 degrees you are referencing?  I have not noticed any correlation between timing and boost either.   

I see 16-17 psi occasionally, but would say 15 is my normal high.  Sometimes I shift 6200-6300 at WOT, sometimes at WOT it short shifts at 5700-5800.  I feel like this car has a very short memory.  Meaning if I don't run it hard all the time, it defaults back to grandma driving real fast.  I feel like if I want to get her going I need to do about three WOT runs before the car finally realizes I do want to get up and go.
That -10 at WOT doesn't sound right but Torque is pretty slow so you could be seeing lag instead of real time values.

A used X4 might be a good investment if you want to be able to look at logs.

avidmotion

Is that a standard PID with the SCTX4? I have one not sure how to mess with it much, I have someone's PID file but not sure if that an option on it either.
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: avidmotion on July 15, 2017, 07:31:16 PM
Is that a standard PID with the SCTX4? I have one not sure how to mess with it much, I have someone's PID file but not sure if that an option on it either.
You will have a datagazm with the X4

There are a few missing but you can load custom pids to the X4 as well. Nothing missing that is needed for tuning though.

One of these days I will add TPMS and awd %

FiveLeeter918

yea not really sure what that -10 is, I don't typically log timing. Which selection are you displaying with the app? I can play with it after work and see if there is one more accurate. IIRC the Spark Advance V2 is something you had to custom add via the tutorial on here.
- Lee

Brucelinc

On the 2013+ SHOs and MKSs, does Sport mode shift at a higher rpm than Drive when at WOT?  I discovered that my Continental does.   With the tune I am running now, it shifts at about 5900 in Drive and 6100 in Sport. 

I knew part throttle shifts occurred at a higher rpm in Sport but I thought they were the same at WOT.  Not the case with my Conti.  Just wondering if you SHO guys had noticed a difference.

hawkeye93

I think Sport mode holds gears longer than Drive at WOT.  I have done 1/4 mile runs in both modes, I can check my logs.  My runs this past weekend were all done in Sport mode.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic