• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tuning the 3.0 Continental

Started by Brucelinc, June 27, 2017, 09:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

Brad,
Once again you go above and beyond in sharing the tuning experience with everyone.  Thanks.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Brucelinc

I just finished logging Brad's first revision on my Conti tune.    It is feeling really good!  The car is really waking up and becoming much more fun to drive.  Shifts great and pulls hard.   

Brad says we are taking baby steps and I appreciate that.  He clearly wants the tunes to be safe as well as powerful.  I actually asked him to take a pretty big swing at it - pressed him to advance the timing, raise the boost and give me more RPM.  I even jokingly told him that if I blew it up, we would just get another one!   I really do appreciate him protecting me from myself and doing only what the logs show can safely be done.

I was never much of a fan of datalogging.  I may have even referred to it as tuning by trial and error.  However, I was an idiot.  With a new generation engine like the Lincoln 3.0TT, the ONLY way to really dial it in is through the logging process.  With the 3.5 ecoboost SHO, tuners have tons of experience with multiple cars on the dyno and it is possible to get a good tune without logging.   I loved the LMS tune on my MKS.   However, I now understand why so many guys prefer to datalog and essentially tune their car in increments to achieve the final desired result.

I wonder what Brad will do with my tune next???  Such fun!!

SHOdded

Once you get it down perfect, go back to stock and compare ;)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on June 29, 2017, 12:12:09 PM

Reverting to stock after Brad is like driving through marshmallows and makes me cry inside...
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOdded

LOL.  Imagine the campfire stories afterwards tho!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

f8tlSHO

Can't complain.... ajp is the man....track times prove that pretty easily..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

Macgyver

Quote from: TopherSho on June 29, 2017, 12:45:30 PM

Reverting to stock after Brad is like driving through marshmallows and makes me cry inside...

LOLOLOLOL

Thats Funny

TopherSho

Quote from: Macgyver on July 01, 2017, 12:21:33 AM
Quote from: TopherSho on June 29, 2017, 12:45:30 PM

LOLOLOLOL

Thats Funny

Seriously.. its like ''stomp on the gas'' .... /car says/  wellll ... okay ... we'll go faster ... eventually... and make awful noises doing it :P
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

StealBlueSho

Yup, Brad is pretty good!!! Glad your seeing success Brucelinc!!!

Brucelinc

Brad is also pretty patient.  I am a complete rookie at using SCT, Livelink, SCT updater, building config files, and datalogging.   I was used to Livernois where even a drunken chimpanzee could flash the car with the MyCal.    I am no rookie with most technology but I typically like to know what I am doing before I do it rather than just blindly jumping into something with no clue about the end result.

I have had help from some people on these forums and the "How-to" section was valuable.  However,  Brad was very helpful in clearing up a few things that I was foggy on.    I also had to keep telling myself that I couldn't possibly be the stupidest human being that ever used SCT and the accompanied software.   :doh:

SHOdded

Yes SCT can make you feel pretty stupid.  Their user interface is stuck in the Stone Age.  Good to have a guide.

Brucelinc

Tune update:

I think we are extremely close to having my Conti tune near perfection for me.  Brad has tested a number of things and made appropriate tweaks.  The Conti ECU has some significant differences from the SHO/MKS so I appreciate Brad's willingness to tackle this when no other tuner would.

We are basically down to getting the shift points right.  The power and shift quickness/firmness are both present and accounted for!  Brad says we could definitely go further if I want to run E85.  Apparently, the fuel pressure is great.  I just don't have E85 close enough to make it convenient to use.

I am anxious to go to the track.  As usual, they are predicting extreme heat, humidity and likely thunderstorms for the street legal drags at Brainerd this week!    Even if not rained out, the DA will likely be in the 3000-3500 range so I won't really see the car's best numbers.

Brucelinc

After comparing the Continental dragstrip timeslips with those of my old MKS, it is obvious that the AJP tuned 3.0 in my Continental is making more power than the Livernois 4+X or race tune was in my MKS.

The MKS did run a 12.68 once on a very cool morning with around a 500 DA but in air comparable to what the Conti has been in, the MKS was not quite as quick in the 1/8 or 1/4.   The Conti is heavier than the MKS and cannot be launched as hard due to wheel hop.  Even launched at 12-1400 rpm, the Conti is comparable or better than the MKS launched at 2000 rpm.    I will give some of the credit to the 3.39 gear in the Conti vs 2.77 in the MKS.   Launching both from an idle, I know the Conti would pull away from the MKS quite easily.  Even when stock, I think the Conti would stay with my tuned MKS up to 30 MPH or so if both were launched from an idle.

The MKS was easier to launch and I think the transmission shifted a bit quicker and more firmly at WOT.  It also ran cooler and IAT 2 temps were MUCH cooler.  For those reasons, I loved running the MKS at the track.   The Conti is really not well suited for racing.  It is a heavy and softly sprung luxury car but with the tuned 3.0 it is one helluva sleeper and great daily driver.

Brucelinc

Livernois has FINALLY had a Continental 3.0 on their dyno and have developed a tune for it.    Since I have their MyCal device and have been a customer, I can get the tune for just $20 in shipping costs.   I like Brad's tune but it never hurts to have another option.   

SHOdded

Absolutely.  Then you can datalog it LOL.