• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PP rear shocks vs HD rear shocks

Started by avidmotion, December 18, 2017, 11:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avidmotion

I just got new front struts, MC PP struts for 2013, sag on springs are fine, 61,000 on the car's OEM suspension. Looking at rear shock replacement, not many options for the +PP 2013 SHO. So, choice to match the MC front struts?... just get MC PP rear shocks or these HD for Police Interceptor, which look meaty and accompaning description reads really nice. Anyone have opinions or past experience?

MONROE 550058 - Gas-Magnum Severe Service
Rear; w/ Police Package

Gas-Magnum Severe Service
The Monroe® Gas-Magnum® truck shock absorber is designed for mid to full size, hard working pick-up trucks and vans. These units provide firm control without a harsh ride. With up to twice the fluid capacity of standard 1" bore shocks, Monroe Gas-Magnum truck shocks work more efficiently with less effort.
Features

All Weather Fluid: Contains special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction.
Full Displaced Valving: Better valving range on both the compression and extension cycles of the unit for a smooth comfortable ride.
Sintered Iron Piston: Stronger than traditional metals, enhances durability for long service life.
Nitrogen Gas Charged: For improved ride and handling, helps maintain tire to road contact by reducing aeration.
2" Reserve Tube: More fluid for more consistent performance.
1-3/8" Bore: Lower operating pressure than standard 1" bore units.
Special Seal: Self-lubricating fluid seal designed to retain gas without excessive wear or friction.
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

kinder

I'm probably wrong but wouldn't the rears be built heavier duty because of the added weight they have from the gear they carry and modifications they have?

I would be surprised if they offered any added performance.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

kinder

So while looking for for some upgrades myself I found out that the struts for the police interceptor and the sho pp struts share part numbers.

http://www.fordparts.com
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

avidmotion

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that in my comparison. If more HD then the PP this might be to my advantage since I carry alot of weight typically. However I dont want it so stiff that it mismatches with the Front PP structs. The PP struts when new are pretty stout by my cushy standards. Now with 61,000 on the stock PP struts the dive on hard braking, lift on hard accelleration(ie: all the time), slam into pot holes but so far dont jounce or arent bouncy.
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

5ohSHO

I changed the shocks and struts at about 103k on mine. I'm not sure if they were original but they rode how I thought a Taurus would. I replaced them with the severe duty ones and I'm kinda regretting it. It rides way stiffer now than it did. Like you feel every small bump and rock kinda stiff. Handling does feel good though. It feels like my Challenger did when I put it in the track setting.