• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tuning the 3.0 Continental

Started by Brucelinc, June 27, 2017, 09:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucelinc

After months of driving a nice but boring stock Continental, I finally decided to work with our forum friend AJP Turbo to see if we could wake up my sleepy "quiet luxury" ride.  First off, BIG KUDOS to Brad for actually pushing SCT to support my car's strategy code.    I couldn't get them to do it and other tuners wouldn't even try. 

We ran a couple of logs and Brad explained what he was seeing and what could be done to safely improve it.  I have been driving with the first version of the tune and am very impressed.  The transmission tuning is exactly the way I like it - smooth as silk at part throttle and firm and quick at WOT.  BIG improvement over stock.  The car pulls harder now and I know there are more tweaks to be made with future revisions.

I am not sure if the 3.0 engine will respond to tuning as well as the 3.5 Ecoboost but I am sure that Brad will do all he can with it while retaining the luxury daily driving experience.   I look forward to future revisions and also taking it to the track. 

Thanks, AJP Turbo!!!   

hawkeye93

Good deal, Bruce.  Get that thing dialed in, and let's meet up at the track!

...or even a stoplight...
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

EcoPowerParts

Nice! Someone posted a silver one on facebook on airbags and it looks amazing!
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SHOdded

Great to hear, Bruce, here's to more great things to come!  :beer2:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

Quote from: hawkeye93 on June 27, 2017, 09:07:07 AM
Good deal, Bruce.  Get that thing dialed in, and let's meet up at the track!

...or even a stoplight...

LOL....I have seen your timeslips from Rock Falls.  I don't expect to be able to match those with just a tune.   If we can get the Conti consistently into the 12s without bolt-ons or meth, I will be happy!

TSS

Nice job Bruce. You are paving the way for other continental owners!
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

Brucelinc

Quote from: TSS on June 27, 2017, 12:31:15 PM
Nice job Bruce. You are paving the way for other continental owners!

Lol...I doubt if there is another Continental owner in the country who cares much about tuning.   

TSS

That's what that's they used to say about us MKS owners. :-)
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

donky4444

Great news!  It's cool to be the ones pushing boundaries.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

Brucelinc

Quote from: TSS on June 27, 2017, 07:52:07 PM
That's what that's they used to say about us MKS owners. :-)b

Excellent point.  I still hold YOU mostly responsible for me getting my MKS tuned.  You might have been the first MKS owner to get a tune.

Vortech347

Very nice!  If my next ride isn't an SS it'll be one of those.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

AJP turbo

Brucelinc thank you for the kind words. And I've been impressed with SCT's response time in adding strategies upon request even though in may have to come from dealers.

I do expect some moderate gains but I suspect that the 3.0tt ecoboost is pushed harder from Ford than the SHO was which is good. As far as specific output goes it's pretty impressive....35 more hp and .5 liter less displacement are nice gains.

The crappy thing about calibration development on new models is the learning curve...A lot is the same but atlot is different...And the controller within the 3.0tt is different than the SHO...Just like the gen 1 SHO's are different than the Gen 2 SHO's....Sometimes it's nice to have one of the vehicles in person and bang out tunes for a couple weeks but we don't have that luxury.

I'm excited to work on it...Always interesting to pioneer a platform.

At first glance I liked your first tune but we need to take a few baby steps.

I will say that a lot of the calibration is similar to the 2.7tt ecoboost and it's the same controller. And I have some dyno's and info on the 2.7tt ecoboost in my truck if I can ever find time to post it....I've really slacked off on the leisure posts lately because of time...But I still really enjoy giving insight into the tunes and some of the things that people don't normally get to see.

I put down 366whp/465wtq with no bolt ons but with E30 in my 2.7 F150 so I fully expect you to be right there. And I have also been running full E85 without switching tunes. I basically enabled flex fuel logic. And the Continental has that ability as well as the MKS I would think.

More to come.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Brucelinc

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 28, 2017, 02:57:43 AM

I put down 366whp/465wtq with no bolt ons but with E30 in my 2.7 F150 so I fully expect you to be right there. And I have also been running full E85 without switching tunes. I basically enabled flex fuel logic. And the Continental has that ability as well as the MKS I would think.

More to come.

Holy Mother!  That little engine is a torque monster!!  I want some of that!!

TSS

Quote from: Brucelinc on June 27, 2017, 09:26:51 PM
Quote from: TSS on June 27, 2017, 07:52:07 PM
That's what that's they used to say about us MKS owners. :-)b

Excellent point.  I still hold YOU mostly responsible for me getting my MKS tuned.  You might have been the first MKS owner to get a tune.

I might have been,  but that path for us MKS guys was was cleared by all the SHO owners.

And I attribute my taking the plunge to with the 3-Bar  tune to Don (Donky4444). I took a trip the  Detroit International auto show with him in his first SHO, and got on the phone with Livernois  VERY soon after that regarding upgrading to a 3-Bar 

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 28, 2017, 02:57:43 AM
Brucelinc thank you for the kind words. And I've been impressed with SCT's response time in adding strategies upon request even though in may have to come from dealers.

I do expect some moderate gains but I suspect that the 3.0tt ecoboost is pushed harder from Ford than the SHO was which is good. As far as specific output goes it's pretty impressive....35 more hp and .5 liter less displacement are nice gains.

The crappy thing about calibration development on new models is the learning curve...A lot is the same but atlot is different...And the controller within the 3.0tt is different than the SHO...Just like the gen 1 SHO's are different than the Gen 2 SHO's....Sometimes it's nice to have one of the vehicles in person and bang out tunes for a couple weeks but we don't have that luxury.

I'm excited to work on it...Always interesting to pioneer a platform.

At first glance I liked your first tune but we need to take a few baby steps.

I will say that a lot of the calibration is similar to the 2.7tt ecoboost and it's the same controller. And I have some dyno's and info on the 2.7tt ecoboost in my truck if I can ever find time to post it....I've really slacked off on the leisure posts lately because of time...But I still really enjoy giving insight into the tunes and some of the things that people don't normally get to see.

More to come.
that's incredible!
is there any other models that have the flex fuel logic capability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.