• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How To Install a PTU Drain Plug - Done on A 2010 Lincoln MKS - UPDATED 10-24-22

Started by irondoor19, June 26, 2017, 11:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irondoor19

We did this on a Stock 2010 SHO, Took about 2 Hours Maximum, and a Lift is Recommended....

ALL Or Most ALL of the Tools Required to do this Upgrade:

1/4" X 18 NPT Drain Plug (P/N 37-8961, Motorcycle Part, on Ebay) Under 10.00 Delivered
Teflon Tape, PB Blaster or Penetrating Oil, AND Your Favorite 75/140 Gear Oil
1/4 X 18 NPT Tap & 7/16" Drill Bit (for the 1/4" Tap)
1/8" Drill Bit (Pilot Bit So any Small Size)
15MM Shortwell Socket X 1/2" Drive and the Same but 3/8" Drive
1/2" Drive Ratchet, 6" Extension, Various other Extensions
3/8" Drive Ratchet, 6" Extension, Various other Extensions
Large Punch and a Big Hammer for Marking the Drill Point
Large Pry Bar (for Exhaust Section Removal)
Corded 3/8" Variable Speed Drill... AND
New Gaskets for the Exhaust Sections that are removed (?)

Drive the Car to reach Operational Temperature, We also Sprayed the Exhaust Bolts with PB Blaster a Few Times to Help in Removal

Remove Lower Engine Shroud, Locate Both the Front and Rear Flex Pipe Exhaust Sections (Eight Nuts/Bolts),

Spray all Eight (8 ) Nuts/Bolts with PB Blaster Or Other Spray Pent. Oil, AND / Or Get the Map Gas Torch out, Heat before removing...

Break all Eight (8 ) Nuts/Bolts Loose Prior to removing any (in case You Break any) IF SO a trip to the parts Store may be required...

Remove the  Six (6) Nuts and Two Bolts and set them in the parts tray, Remove the Flex Exhaust Sections and set aside. remove any

gasket Material that may be left Behind... It is also necessary to Loosen the Rear Cat. Converter Bolts (DO Not Remove them) so the cat

can be moved to Mark and Drill the PTU Hole location:  1/1/2" From the Split Case Edge  & Center of the Ribs (Please see Next write Up)..

LAST Picture: The Drilled Area Is to the Right of the Factory Green Mark (this Puts the Drilled Hole Directly Between the Gear Sets). We

Verified this whe we had the 2011 PTU apart to Replace the Seals (1-1/2" Dim is also a guide, You Can Be off by a Bunch - no interference)

10-24-22 UPDATE:...
DONE on a 2010 Lincoln MKS with 66K Miles on the Clock
THIS TIME Tools Required to do this Upgrade:

Dorman 090-026 Oil Pump Pipe Plug C.S. Hex 1/4-18 Npt X 1/2 In. Ford P/N 2003-8 6.00 Delivered
Teflon Tape, PB Blaster or Penetrating Oil, AND Your Favorite 75/140 Gear Oil
1/4 X 18 NPT Tap & 7/16" Drill Bit (for the 1/4" Tap)
1/8" Drill Bit (Pilot Bit So any Small Size)Portable Drill (With Small Chuck)
...Various 3/8" Long Extensions and Sockets, W Ratchet.

1) Get her up on the Lift.
2) Remove the Front Two (2) Nuts (only, This May require PB Blaster & Heating the Nuts)
from the Drivers Side FLEX Exhaust, Lower the Exhaust out of the Way (Via the Flex).

3) We had Pre-Marked the Location, SO drill Away with the Small Drill BIT. AND after about 3/8" Depth
Utilizing the Large Drill Bit, Continue to Drill thru the Case. (remove the bit, and shavings as you GO).
4) Once thru, Clean the Hole Utilizing the PB blaster, and A Rag, until Cleaned Out.

5) Tap the Hole, Clean Out Again, Install Pipe Tape on the 1/4" Plug, Insert the Plug & Tighten.
6) Reinstall the Driver side Flex Pipe, Install the Nuts and Tighten.

7) Remove Passenger Front Wheel, Open the Fill Plug, and Utilizing a Long 1/4" Gas Line or Hose
   Fill the PTU with 16 OZ of your Favorite Gear Lube. Clean & Re-install the Fill Plug.

Total Time to perform the above: 30 - 45 Minutes,
NOTE: based upon the Type of Drill U utilize the Drain Hole & Plug
MAY BE on a Slight Angle.(and after doing 4 of these We Do Not Care)
Also utilizing a Portable Drill May Require More Muscles than Normal or Two (2) People
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

irondoor19

Next: 

"Also Have an oil Pan, Some Dirty and Clean Rags and Wear your OLD Work Shirt/pants"

Clean Off the PTU Hole Location Prior to Marking the Drill Area

Mark the PTU Hole Location (1-1/2" From the Split in the Case, Center of the Ribs, See Pics)

Once this is Done, Get out the Center Punch, and Mark the Location for your Starter Bit

We Used an 1/8" Bit, Drill in about 1/4" or So (all you are doing is insuring the Correct Location for the Large Drill Bit).

THE HARD PART:  The Case is Quite Thick, So it Takes a Bit to get thru (Seems like 3/4",  Drill Strait and Have a Buddy Help).

Drill, Drill, Drill, This Is a Work out, Be Prepared to get Covered in Shavings (we Tried using a 1/2" Single Speed Drill, way to heavy)

Once you get Close to Popping thru, Cover the Drill Top with a Rag, Get your Buddy ready with the Oil pan (Be prepared to get oiled down)

Using the 3/8" Drive Remove the PTU Fill Plug (to aid in the Oil Removal) Once all the Gear oil is out, Slowly Ream the hole with the Drill Bit

Next the 1/4 -18 NPT Pipe Tap, Using a Socket and Ratchet, Tap, Tap, Tap away Slowly, Pull it out Several Times and Clean the Tap Off,

make Sure you Tap all the way Thru the Case, AND Remember Clean, Clean, Clean Several Times to remove any and all Aluminum Shavings,

Then spray Some Penetrating Oil in the Hole, Clean Out with a Rag, Inspect to insure No Shavings Remain. Teflon Tape the New Drain Plug and Install.

Fill with Approx. 18 Oz of your favorite Gear Oil, Teflon Tape the Fill Plug and Re-install.  Re-Tighten the Rear Cat. Converter, Install the New Gaskets

on the Exhaust Sections, Re-install these and you are good to Go. We had Trouble with a Exhaust Nut, but had spare Nuts in House, Enjoy

irondoor19

Again:

Many thanks to All you Ecoboosters for all the help you have provided to Us in our journey to get the 2011 Up and running again...

SOO.. I am thinking PTU Party in Columbus ohio (South Side), You Bring a 1/4-18' Drain plug, Your Favorite Gear Oil and Your Favorite Beverage,

We will Provide the Food, the lift and the Tools, Probably Can do 4 SHO's During that Day, So I am Thinking On a Saturday, In The Near Future,

You Guys that are Close, IS This is a Good Idea, and UP TO U.. Open invitation, Date to be agreed upon by the Guys that can make it. "Pic of the Drain Plug"

Let Me Know :drunk:

Do not Know if you can do the PTU Breather / Fill Upgrade (with the PTU in the Car)
but if so, then PTU oil Change can be done in 30 Min or Less,  AND Sorry about my Fuzzy Camera Work

SHOdded

You weren't kidding about the detailed writeup :D  Thank you for doing this.  Long overdue!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

And please folks, if you like what you see, please do take the time to thank the author(s).  We the staff of the forum appreciate it, and are sure the authors do as well!  TIA :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

X2 Thanks irondoor19 for keeping the Ecoboost platform.community up to Speed with your Detailed writeup. Z  :thumb: :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: irondoor19 on June 26, 2017, 12:35:43 PM
Again:

Many thanks to All you Ecoboosters for all the help you have provided to Us in our journey to get the 2011 Up and running again...

SOO.. I am thinking PTU Party in Columbus ohio (South Side), You Bring a 1/4-18' Drain plug, Your Favorite Gear Oil and Your Favorite Beverage,

We will Provide the Food, the lift and the Tools, Probably Can do 4 SHO's During that Day, So I am Thinking On a Saturday, In The Near Future,

You Guys that are Close, IS This is a Good Idea, and UP TO U.. Open invitation, Date to be agreed upon by the Guys that can make it. "Pic of the Drain Plug"

Do not Know if you can do the PTU Breather / Fill Upgrade (with the PTU in the Car)
but if so, then PTU oil Change can be done in 30 Min or Less,  AND Sorry about my Fuzzy Camera Work
I would bring the MKS up for that but I'm afraid I'd leave with my pockets turned out and an extra car to get home, lol

SHOdded

irondoor19

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 27, 2017, 01:44:30 PM
Quote from: irondoor19 on June 26, 2017, 12:35:43 PM
Again:

I would bring the MKS up for that but I'm afraid I'd leave with my pockets turned out and an extra car to get home, lol

Yea: I will just hide it before you Get Here!

pejohnson

Thanks iron door. Awesome write up. I need to get down to your shop and check out your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

88rxna

Very nice! I don't have access to a lift but I could possibly mark it for a garage and have them do it. I'm super nervous about getting shavings in the case. I suppose grease could help on the drill??
What happens if you do lose some shavings?

Super nice write up!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

irondoor19

Quote from: 88rxna on August 26, 2017, 06:24:38 PM
Very nice! I don't have access to a lift but I could possibly mark it for a garage and have them do it. I'm super nervous about getting shavings in the case. I suppose grease could help on the drill??
What happens if you do lose some shavings?

Super nice write up!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We Did Use Grease on the Bit, Also wiped the bit off Completely Prior to Penetration,
and We also Sprayed out the hole with brake Clean, Wiped it out, ETC, IF you are really
anal about it you can flush the PTU out with Motor Cleaning treatment or other Detergent..

IF there were any Aluminum Shavings Left in there the Gears would paste them any way....!

Night Hawk

2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

SHOdded

Jay Jay was kind enough to make that video for us, I will have to query him to see how it is holding up.

irondoor19

Hello All:I updated this Post as We found a Simpler and Faster Way to
DO this. AS i have not been on here in A LONG While, Hope
this is the Correct way to achieve the Goal......