• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Project: MKSinister

Started by Joleat, August 01, 2013, 10:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joleat

The EA package already comes with smoked housings, so I don't intend to go TOO dark. A quality tint like Lamin-X should also add a little protection. Ideally, I would like for the MKS to appear stock to the average Joe until it's actually parked beside a stock MKS.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

Joleat

I finally got around to painting the upper and lower grille yesterday evening and this morning. It came out good, but it took a LOT of time to mask the upper grille properly. I used satin black Krylon Fusion and applied about 10 light coats. I waited 3-5 minutes between each coat.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DJE624

Joleat

I inspected the grilles this weekend and found two small chips on the lower grille. Clear coat probably wouldn't have helped as the chips are actually into the plastic and are deep enough to catch a fingernail. With that being said, I think I'll add a couple more coats of Fusion and lay down a few layers of matte clear to help avoid other less severe chips in the future.

SHOdded

You are an exacting taskmaster, Joleat!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Joleat

It's both a blessing and a curse, haha!

Joleat

Since I bought this car back in May, I've been getting a really harsh bump within the first 10mph during rapid acceleration. It didn't happen every single time, but probably 3 out of 5 times. I searched TSBs for the car and found one that fit the description perfectly.

For interested parties, the TSB is 11-9-11 and states the following:

Some 2009 Edge, MKS, and Flex vehicles built on or after 5/4/2009, 2010-2011 Edge, Flex, MKS, MKT, MKX, Taurus, and 2011 Explorer vehicles built on or before 4/15/2011 may have a sluggish acceleration or hesitation feel during a rolling stop 0-8Km/h (0-5mph) followed by a harsh bump or feel like a slip on take-off from a stop followed by a harsh bump.

It took over a month to get the car in at my local dealership, but my appointment finally arrived yesterday. They had to order the parts to perform the TSB, but I got the car back today and it seems to have fixed the problem. What they found was interesting. Apparently, another dealership had applied this TSB, but they did it incorrectly. The resolution is to remove a check ball from the valve body and insert a plug into one of the holes in one of the separator plates. When that work is completed, the software is supposed to be updated. When the car was previously serviced, they updated the software, but didn't perform the mechanical modifications. This left the car with a VERY harsh bump at acceleration. It felt almost like the front wheels were hopping a curb. In fact, when the technician rode along with me, he said he wouldn't be surprised if the transmission would need to be replaced. He had never felt one that harsh.

When I dropped the car off, I also mentioned two other issues. On occasion, I hear a metallic ping/pop when I cut the wheel and start to move the car in reverse. As it turns out, there is also a TSB out for this issue. They have ordered the parts, but I'll need to bring the car back in another time to have this fixed. It looks fairly simple in that it is only a special type of washer that needs to be inserted between the hub assembly and the CV shaft.

The third issue was a crack in the driver's seat pad. It's not cracked along any visible wear lines, but seems to be totally random. In my research, I've become disappointed in the materials used in the seating of these cars. This seems to be a common issue. Thankfully, it is covered under warranty. The new seat bottom is on its way.

Between selling my house and trying to get the transmission issue resolved, it totally slipped my mind that the blend door motor is making a crazy scratching noise every time I start the car with the A/C on. From what I've read, this is a sign of failure. To be honest, that is pretty low on my priority list at this time, but I'll try to get it resolved as well.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was planning to install aftermarket rotors and pads. I figured I would go ahead and have them machine the factory rotors to extend the life a few more months, but they said their system is showing they have been machined within the last 12,000 miles, so they wouldn't do it. Oh well, the factory brakes are nothing to write home about anyway.

So, how was everyone else's day? Haha!

SHOdded

Updated the software, not the mechanicals.  Hmmm.  That's the SMART way to do it  :bangin:

Looks like you've gotten hold of a good dealer/service shop.  There is a writeup on the blend door for the SHOs, I believe, don't know how much transfers over to the MKS.

Joleat

All I can say is, WOW. After a couple of days of driving, it feels like a different car. Before, the power felt like it dropped off at around 70mph. The car now pulls hard until I lift. I also noticed the downshift is much quicker now. The car used to hesitate for a half-second or so.

TSS

I did a write up for the MKS blend door.  I think it's a sticky here.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

Joleat

Yeah, I remember seeing it. I figured I might be able to just have them order the part under warranty and I'll worth about installing it.

Joleat

I just thought I would add a new picture from my trip to the beach last month. A little has changed since my last update. I've since installed the slotted and drilled Power Stop brake kit for the front and rear as well as General G-Max AS-03 tires.

SHOdded

281Thunder

2011 SHO