• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

F-150 Overheating while towing

Started by DSMtuned, June 20, 2017, 01:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on June 29, 2017, 10:03:03 PM
Are you thinking of the grille shutters, Z, that are used to speed up warmup?
Correct! If closed will increase IAT Temps. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Looks like the 2015 MY has grille shutters, have to check on previous model years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uIy2Ofe9eo

Seems like it was introduced for the 2015 MY, and works this way:

Ford F-150 trucks equipped with EcoBoost engines also will benefit from standard Active Grille Shutters. Active Grille Shutters stay open when extra engine cooling is needed, such as during low-speed stop-and-go driving or while working in hot weather. They automatically close to reduce aerodynamic drag at cruising speed.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2014/01/13/all-new-ford-f-150-redefines-full-size-trucks.html

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099158_2015-ford-f-150-air-curtain-cuts-aerodynamic-drag

But the 2012 definitely has no AGS feature.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

Guy talks about towing with his 2013 EB F150
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FXP-4FCexc

Mentions shifting to a lower gear, lower boost to keep the temps down.  Has a 5Star tow tune.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

Wow, look at the difference in claimed AIT reduction in these two Mishimoto intercoolers:

2011-14
https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-f150-ecoboost-intercooler-2011-2014.html

2015+
https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-f150-ecoboost-intercooler-2015-2017.html

FearlessAZ

Quote from: SHOdded on June 30, 2017, 03:44:29 AM
Wow, look at the difference in claimed AIT reduction in these two Mishimoto intercoolers:

2011-14
https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-f150-ecoboost-intercooler-2011-2014.html

2015+
https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-f150-ecoboost-intercooler-2015-2017.html

If they made one for the SHO that cooled that much, I would be all over it!
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

SHOdded

Quote from: FearlessAZ on June 30, 2017, 07:16:41 AM
If they made one for the SHO that cooled that much, I would be all over it!
Would be like a line for a new Star Wars movie if that happened!

DSMtuned

Quote from: SHOdded on June 29, 2017, 10:03:03 PM
Are you thinking of the grille shutters, Z, that are used to speed up warmup?

Oh I know what you're talking about now.  No those grill shutters came on later years.  Mine doesn't have those.
2012 F-150 Ecoboost.  SCT Livewire TS+, 5 Star Tunes, Full Race catted downpipe, UPR catch can, Wagner Intercooler.  Uncorrected 6000' above sea level 294 WHP & 449WTQ, before the downpipe and the intercooler.

DSMtuned

Quote from: SHOdded on June 30, 2017, 03:14:26 AM
Guy talks about towing with his 2013 EB F150
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FXP-4FCexc

Mentions shifting to a lower gear, lower boost to keep the temps down.  Has a 5Star tow tune.

Yeah I saw that one.  My truck would be able to handle that short grade without a problem as well.  You have to remember, I was towing through the Rockies and the Sierra Nevada mountain ranges.  The grades are sustained for miles.  I couldn't see his IAT's in that video, but I suspect they were rising and if that grade were to keep up for another 5 miles, he would have a problem.  When searching the F150 forums, it sounds like people have had this problem stock and on other tunes as well. 

Downshifting is how I lower the temps.  It seems like once the boost was below 8psi the intercooler could recover and temps would slowly decrease. 
2012 F-150 Ecoboost.  SCT Livewire TS+, 5 Star Tunes, Full Race catted downpipe, UPR catch can, Wagner Intercooler.  Uncorrected 6000' above sea level 294 WHP & 449WTQ, before the downpipe and the intercooler.

DSMtuned

I made some ducting from the front bumper to the FMIC.  I used white zip ties to make it flashy.  :)

I'm towing 150 miles in the mountains today, so hopefully I'll see some difference in the IATs.  Although it's only 70* today.

SHOdded

Lets see if homemade wins over FMC!

ZSHO

It definitely looks much cleaner now and hoping you have a smooth Cool journey.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

DSMtuned

I thought I'd update everyone on this.  The ducting with the stock IC helped, but temps would still climb when towing up steep inclines.  I found a used Wagner IC and bought that.

Wow.  I can't believe how the Wagner changed the IAT2!  Towing through the Colorado mountains and over to Moab, UT with 102* on the display, I feel like I thoroughly tested the new IC.  Temps are now 20-25* above ambient temperature at the IAT2.  With the stock IC temps were 50-60* above ambient when towing.  The cylinder head temps now climb more slowly.  Keeping the truck out of the red is much more manageable now.  It goes up hills at 70mph and as long as I drop a gear or two manually, the coolant temps stay out of the red. 

I still think the cooling system in these trucks is inadequate.  I'd love to stay in 6th gear and keep the RPMs low when towing because I have the power to do so, but I have to downshift to keep the temps low.  I'm going to try a pusher fan on the front of the AC condenser first, but eventually will probably upgrade radiators.  BTW, I have the Max Tow radiator, which is the largest stock one.

The added power of the Wagner IC is nice too.  ;)

ZSHO

SHOdded

Well ... Keeping the gear out of 6th on long hills is a good thing as it saves the trans ...

Keeping it cool with Wagner :thumb: