• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Wrapping the OEM intake

Started by TopherSho, June 14, 2017, 04:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown9999

Quote from: TopherSho on June 14, 2017, 04:43:30 PM
Anyone do a wrap and see any drop in IAT temps?  or does heat soak still set in regardless ..  or would it be better to port the airbox and route intake tubing from a better source?
So, I know everyone keeps saying "No, not worth it" and "Don't bother" but Ford seems to think it works when it counts.

2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

boosted4SHO

What types of IAT's are you guys seeing? I'm seeing 3-5 degrees over ambient temp with a K&N FIPK style intake with a green filter. This was today in 94 degree Atlanta weather with major humidity. Granted the intake is powdercoated wrinkle black with heat resistant tape on the filter side of the heat shield. The only time my IAT's rise considerably is when idling.I saw 124* at idle. As soon as I'm back on the throttle for roughly an 1/8th of a mile the IAT's settle back to the 3-5 degrees over ambient temp I mentioned earlier. I can see how on the dyno, a typical cold air intake for these cars would yield less than favorable results. In the real world I don't see them to be a problem. My data is from the Torque app with a bluetooth OBD2 reader. I never logged my stock intake to compare; but what are you folks seeing with stock intakes? IAT wise? At idle and while cruising.
CW III
2011 non-PP SHO - tuxedo black
custom CAI w/Green Filter, SP534's @ .030, JLT catch can, switchback LED's, 20x8.5 +35 Ruff 959
in the works...

TopherSho

always about 10f above ambient here in Oregon,  on colder days that drops.  but right now i'm 20f above ambient for 130f driving down the street at 40mph.

At the PIR dragstrip i see 160-170f AIT's all day long.. and it MURDERs my 0-60 and 60 foots thus kills my 1/4 mile

At woodburn where lineups are quicker i still see 140-150f temps at start..

Lamrith pointed out that with this DI engine the throttle is closed at idle or near idle. So any time you stop even if you wrap,  the air does not flow through the intact all that much at all and it will still climb in temps, just slower.  So for a drag strip and or x-cross your first run might be good,  but going back to the line up you will see higher and higher idle temps waiting to launch until it is like you did not wrap at all.

For street driving it might help a bit.. but street racing is not my thing so it is no use to me..

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

boosted4SHO

I see... Ever thought about icing your intake pipe between runs at the track?
CW III
custom CAI w/Green Filter, SP534's @ .030, JLT catch can, switchback LED's, 20x8.5 +35 Ruff 959
in the works...

TopherSho

Quote from: boosted4SHO on August 05, 2017, 10:28:32 PM
I see... Ever thought about icing your intake pipe between runs at the track?

Yup.. if you wait 30 minutes with the ice i dropped from 150-120.. but by the time i lined back up i was back at 140.  and i hate waiting between runs that long.   for 30$ i want to run 20+ times.

in the end i went meth.. and eventually i will go e30 AFTER the meth is dialed in /looks at AJP/ .. :D

pretty much you'd need a chiller killer for 900$ to get the results that would be ideal (sub 100 IAT)
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

AJP turbo

Quote from: boosted4SHO on August 05, 2017, 09:24:37 PM
What types of IAT's are you guys seeing? I'm seeing 3-5 degrees over ambient temp with a K&N FIPK style intake with a green filter. This was today in 94 degree Atlanta weather with major humidity. Granted the intake is powdercoated wrinkle black with heat resistant tape on the filter side of the heat shield. The only time my IAT's rise considerably is when idling.I saw 124* at idle. As soon as I'm back on the throttle for roughly an 1/8th of a mile the IAT's settle back to the 3-5 degrees over ambient temp I mentioned earlier. I can see how on the dyno, a typical cold air intake for these cars would yield less than favorable results. In the real world I don't see them to be a problem. My data is from the Torque app with a bluetooth OBD2 reader. I never logged my stock intake to compare; but what are you folks seeing with stock intakes? IAT wise? At idle and while cruising.

I would say you are NOT logging IAT2
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on August 06, 2017, 12:40:44 AM

pssst ... AJP ... your mailbox ... :D

boosted4SHO

You are correct. I will start logging both. IAT1 is near the intake filter and IAT2 is at the charge air cooler? Or vice versa?

Edit: while searching the forum, I found it. IAT1 is directly after the intake air filter and IAT2 is part of the MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold. This forum is a wealth of knowledge!
CW III
in the works...

Brucelinc

At the track in this hot summer weather, I see IAT2 temps in the 150-180 range.   As mentioned, you can do all you can to cool things down while in the pit area but at my track, it is common to wait in the staging lines for 20 minutes or so - sometimes longer.   Temps just keep rising.  I don't think the intercooler on my Conti is as efficient as on my old MKS.  I don't recall seeing IAT2 temps as high with it.  I know the lower grill area on the Conti is much smaller than the MKS.

I would kill for a cool day and having the track all to myself!

AJP turbo

Quote from: boosted4SHO on August 06, 2017, 07:06:08 AM

You are correct. I will start logging both. IAT1 is near the intake filter and IAT2 is at the charge air cooler? Or vice versa?

Edit: while searching the forum, I found it. IAT1 is directly after the intake air filter and IAT2 is part of the MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold. This forum is a wealth of knowledge!

Yeah I'd say IAT is the airbox and CAC temp is the TIP sensor between the throttle body and intercooler and IAT2 is the MAP sensor on the manifold.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

irondoor19

OK:

I was toying with the idea of a Water to Air Intercooler in leu of the CAI,
and not sure that the Temp Drop would be of benefit (versus the weight)..
SO i found this, Very Similar to the DIM's of the Mdesign... Installation and
use would be for the Track Only. Removable and Water Ice Lines with Quick Disconnects

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/front-mount-intercooler/long-flow-style-water-to-air-intercooler-p-219.html

If not in the Air inlet, Maybe jammed in the Intercooler outlet and back into the intake...? Comments
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

Macgyver

So you want to mount this on the intake side. Wouldnt the lower intake temp this creates just be offset but the restricted flow?

I would mount it. If possible. Replace the intake pipe before the Throttle body. Is it small enough to fit there ?

irondoor19

Quote from: Macgyver on September 22, 2017, 11:31:06 PM
So you want to mount this on the intake side. Wouldnt the lower intake temp this creates just be offset but the restricted flow?

I would mount it. If possible. Replace the intake pipe before the Throttle body. Is it small enough to fit there ?

This intercooler only has a .1 PSI loss, So the only downside is the heat up after the turbos,
and the install looks to be very simple, Must move the AITemp Sensor to the Elbow, and the
quick connects and the mounting are the only engineering hurtles, NOW is it worth the weight gain
i do not know....

the only way to get it in before the Intake would be: Mount in between the radiator and motor and pipe back to the Inlet, a Tight fit but i think do able, SO first up is the Remote front mount 3 7" fan set, Working on that today, Details to be up on the forum by the end of the Week....!

gtmorgan23

IAT1 is directly after the intake air filter and IAT2 is part of the MAP sensor on top of the intake manifold.

So I know the IAT1 can be monitored on the SCT X4 and mine is usually just a few degrees higher than outdoor temps. I will have to tinker with my SCT to see if I can find the IAT2 or TIP sensor.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

irondoor19

SO what is the Temp Sensor in front of the Radiator Stack....?
(between the Grill and the Trans Cooler...)..?