• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Wrapping the OEM intake

Started by TopherSho, June 14, 2017, 04:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Anyone do a wrap and see any drop in IAT temps?  or does heat soak still set in regardless ..  or would it be better to port the airbox and route intake tubing from a better source?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

AJP turbo

I think the OEM gets the fresh air from good location...The air is drawn from outside via the inlet near the grille
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 15, 2017, 01:26:28 PM
I think the OEM gets the fresh air from good location...The air is drawn from outside via the inlet near the grille

AJP your alive!!  hope all is well..

Hey would you be offended if i had a friend print a chrome decal titled "TUNED BY AJPTurbo" ?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

FearlessAZ

You saw some logs from when my scoop was screwed up vs when it got replaced. That inlet makes a huge difference.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

TopherSho

Quote from: FearlessAZ on June 15, 2017, 02:19:55 PM

You saw some logs from when my scoop was screwed up vs when it got replaced. That inlet makes a huge difference.

Are you saying the side port you installed yielded better than OEM results?  I removed the from weather strip in front of the snorkel,  but left the other for better idle breathing.  but was thinking like you of maybe putting a port on the right side (facing the front of the car) and then stuffing that tube down behind the lights into that cranny may be better.

AJP turbo

Quote from: TopherSho on June 15, 2017, 01:36:26 PM

Hey would you be offended if i had a friend print a chrome decal titled "TUNED BY AJPTurbo" ?

No I wouldn't be offended lol...One day I'd like to get some stickers made, I have a couple ideas in my head..Need to find a local artist...I know how to draw stick figures

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FearlessAZ

Quote from: TopherSho on June 15, 2017, 02:25:44 PM
Quote from: FearlessAZ on June 15, 2017, 02:19:55 PM

Are you saying the side port you installed yielded better than OEM results?  I removed the from weather strip in front of the snorkel,  but left the other for better idle breathing.  but was thinking like you of maybe putting a port on the right side (facing the front of the car) and then stuffing that tube down behind the lights into that cranny may be better.

Negative. When I had that really warped intake inlet scoop from mdesign. IAT was pretty high. Got it replaced from MDesign and it dropped the temps considerably.

Because the scoop was cracked and warped, it wasn't pulling in all the fresh air. Probably was even letting some of it out while pulling in hot engine air.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

TopherSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 15, 2017, 02:29:59 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on June 15, 2017, 01:36:26 PM

No I wouldn't be offended lol...One day I'd like to get some stickers made, I have a couple ideas in my head..Need to find a local artist...I know how to draw stick figures

LOL!

dubcitySHO

Quote from: AJP turbo on June 15, 2017, 02:29:59 PM

Consider me the first in line for an AJP sticker, if TopherSHO is having a friend make him one.
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

Agentlongwood

So about heat shielding the stock intake... Was there ever any feedback on this?  From reading around on here it seems like the stock airbox flows plenty of air.  Enough that people don't typically see gains when swapping to aftermarket intakes.  Would adding some sort of heat shielding to the outside of the airbox and tubing help?  Maybe use Mylar or something similar? 
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

AJP turbo

Quote from: Agentlongwood on August 04, 2017, 08:37:03 PM
So about heat shielding the stock intake... Was there ever any feedback on this?  From reading around on here it seems like the stock airbox flows plenty of air.  Enough that people don't typically see gains when swapping to aftermarket intakes.  Would adding some sort of heat shielding to the outside of the airbox and tubing help?  Maybe use Mylar or something similar?

I'd say not much to do...You could wrap the intake and exhaust all day...But the speed the turbos have to spin to compress the air to give 15 psi and 40lbs per minute of air will make all other efforts futile because the intercooler sucks

Enter Meth injection and Ethanol blends....The Meth gives the cooling and octane and the Ethanol gives more octane.

Heat in and of itself is not bad. But it requires lower spark advance to avoid pre-ignition. It's the low spark that kills power.....Meth injection lowers intake air temps which will give spark back and gives more octane which allows you to disregard the heat and still run more advance....Ethanol blends give more octane which allows you to disregard the heat and run more spark advance which gives power back.

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Agentlongwood

Ah ok, so regardless of air temp at the airbox, the turbos themselves would heat the intake air before it gets to the motor.  I do see a lot of posts where people look for ways to lower intake air temp... does it really not make much difference?  Either way I really appreciate the info, and having a community where folks answer questions with legit info and data.  This forum is so much better than the Lexus one I came from with my previous car. 
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Macgyver

Plus a "wrapped" engine doesnt look pretty.......

What about WWF sprayed on the crappy IC during WOT? Wont that help lower IAT as well?

TopherSho

It might a bit but you'd not be able to track it.

SHOdded

Extend the intake to the drl/fog light area.  bamsho has had success with that.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!