• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Hawk hps pads correct pad for 2013 pp

Started by avidmotion, October 10, 2016, 04:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sholxgt

It's insanely complicated.  There are at least two different pad designs for our cars.  The OEM PP pads seem to have more material (less dead space) than the OEM non-PP pads.  Once you start looking at aftermarket options, some are one design, some are the other, and some are different all together.  All work with PP or non-PP calipers since they are the same caliper body.

I changed to PP calipers and used Raybestos police spec rotors and pads.  The pads ended up being the non-PP shape despite ordering them for a PP car.

If I had it to do all over again, I would go with OEM PP calipers, pads, and rotors.  Just get a VIN from a PP car and use that to get the correct parts from a dealer or online Ford parts supplier.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

avidmotion

AgentLongwood you are correct. I eventually got EBC RK Sport rotors with EBC yellowstuff pads. PP and NON-PP pads are interchangeable on 2013+, only difference is  the pad material. The EBC set up is beyond my expectations,  yellowstuff pads are awesome, work well wet or cold. About 30% stickier then the stock PP pads, which to me were plenty good.
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

Agentlongwood

That's good to hear.  Glad to get that clarified between the different pads.  I'm looking into buying a set now, so that makes things easier.  I'm leaning towards the EBC red stuff, and USR rotors.  From reading the EBC website, it looks like EBC outsources the RK rotors and then does their quality control stuff, and surface finishing to make them black.  While it looks like the USR rotors are made by EBC... but then some of the language is a bit ambiguous and they might both be outsourced, lol.  I may give them a call later today and find out for sure. 

EDIT:  I called EBC and it turns out that there are some rotors that they buy from OEM manufacturers and then do their own quality control on.  The rotors for our cars specifically do NOT fall in that category.  Ours are manufactured in house, from scratch.  It took a while for me to get across what I was asking to the rep, but once it was cleared up she knew exactly what I was talking about.   She looked it up and said that since these rotors were shared by so many Ford vehicles, it made sense for them to manufacture them instead of source them.  Phew...
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

SHOdded

I would skip right over the Redstuff ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Just note that the USR rotors do make noise.  We have them on another car and I'm a huge fan.  They do as advertised and are good to over 100,000 miles.  Just be aware that the slots do cause additional noise.

EBC has brought out a new rotor (BSD) with a different cut pattern to lessen the noise.  I don't know if they are considered higher or lower level than USR's.

I'm in the middle of a brake upgrade on the the other car and going USR's again.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

Agentlongwood

On the EBC website they list 2 types of "regular slotted" rotors, under the USR button.  They say USR is their newer, silent slotted rotor, and the GD rotors are ones with straight slots that are wider "for better cooling."  The BSD rotors have that "blade shaped" slot that they say wipes away gasses more efficiently and provides some wind noise reduction.  So it looks like the new USR rotors are supposed to be their quietest.  Though they call them USR ultimax, and do not carry anything called just USR without the ultimax name...  Just to make 100% certain to frustrate their customers, lol    https://ebcbrakes.com/product/usr-slotted-rotors/

Agentlongwood

Quote from: SHOdded on November 20, 2017, 05:57:41 PM
I would skip right over the Redstuff ...

What makes you say that?  I was reading a bunch and currently Red Stuff is a ceramic pad, while is used to be a different material that was not ceramic.

SHOdded

Simply that Redstuff will disintegrate under heavy duty use, Yellowstuff is really what is suitable for these cars.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

avidmotion

I got 12,000 miles out of redstuff on my heavy G8 gt. The stock PP pad is roughly equal to the Redstuff in performance. I got 25,000 out of the stock PP front pads. I am using the yellowstuff and am REALLY impressed with them, no negatives at all and after full break in I'd say 40% stickier then the stock PP pads, which were sufficient for my needs anyway. So far yellowstuff- no squeaks, squeals or noise at all, equally as dusty as the stock PP pads, work significantly better when wet and no change with cold weather. Do yourself a favor skip the redstuff....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.