• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

14-psi tune update .. followup.

Started by TopherSho, June 09, 2017, 02:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Quote from: TopherSho on July 21, 2017, 10:13:22 PM
Running 13.4x at Woodburn today.

Temp of box asphalt is 140f,.  Lanes are 110

IAT sensor is only recoding a 40f.  Drop from 160f

I have to drill and tap my intake .. since snow mentioned 6" from IAT to get it wet that's my only option as next nozzle is to big

Slips and a log later

Your mission should not be to get the MAP/IAT2 sensor "wet"....I wouldn't drill anything into the intake manifold...Just not necessary..I would put the nozzle in the inlet pipe just before the throttle body like most people do...You want to cool the air not get any sensor "wet"..When the mix gets cooled the IAT2 sensor will see it and spark compensations will be applied.

Without the Meth "tune" you are only going to get a little extra spark from what the IAT comps are giving you back...The tuning would add some spark to the base spark tables and take advantage of any boost in octane from the meth that is in your washer fluid
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

No one has needed to drill into their manifold for meth... unless you are doing direct injection....

I spray right before the throttle body... like most do...

Could see if brad is willing to ease up a hair on the IAT comps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polskifacet

Also think about adding a second nozzle a little bit further away so the water has more time to mix with the air. Unfortunately the plastic pipe near the throttle body is fairly small. another idea would be to have a couple solenoids to purge or recirculate fluid so you can put ice in that tank.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

TopherSho

Thanks guys, i totally get what you are saying.  I am plugged in about 4 inches back from where most are plugging in.  I have a bung in a collar that we spliced into the rubber hotpipe... i wonder if it is too far away. (picture later... tired)

Snow was very specific that the IAT2 was to get damp.. but not soaked.  so i am confused a bit as their install guide was very specific to be before the throttle blade. And also wondering if 4 additional inches makes that much of a difference ??  /shrug/  I was avoiding the need to replace the plastic portion of the hoptpipe but it may be i need to after all.

Water injection WAS doing a good deal of the intended work, I was beating out cars above my weight class because they were running much hotter.  I could see it drop from 160 to 120 about 50% into the run. 

I was expecting a greater drop sooner i guess..

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

TopherSho

Log. 

it does show the IAT dropping from 150 to 112.  So i get my spark back.. But it is much to late to be of serious benefit i think.  the initial spark at launch is what killed my times a bit i think.

this pretty much settles it.

I need to either get a CFN card and pump my own fuel for e30 and use the kit for temps.  or go balls deep into a meth tune.

i hate to spend the $$ on the kit and not tune for it but i am terrified of a pump failure taking out the pistons/rods/crank with massive pre-ignition.    in my head the e30 tune is a safer deal... ??

thoughts???

I do think tonight was a success.  i beat out some decent rigs,  amg c55, modded sti's, 2 g8's, RT challengers, the water was helping, but i think it is not ideal. yet.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

TopherSho

TopherSho

Here is where the bung is located... Bad? OK? good? cheese?

StealBlueSho

I personally like it in front of the noise maker... that has to disrupt the airflow in order to make the noise... which means meth is probably getting sucked into it...

AJP turbo

I think you are fine....No need to tap your mani...You are a bit further downstream than most but I don't think it's bad because that probably gives it time to mix more evenly in the air charge.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

TopherSho

Outside of e30 or tuning the meth or hardware am I at my limit? 

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on July 22, 2017, 03:13:18 PM
I think you are fine....No need to tap your mani...You are a bit further downstream than most but I don't think it's bad because that probably gives it time to mix more evenly in the air charge.

I would be worried about loosing effectiveness due to the noisemaker... it's a big hollow piece of plastic made for air to travel through to make noise... I bet you take off the noisemaker after a pull and it's wet... through and through.

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 22, 2017, 06:27:20 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on July 22, 2017, 03:13:18 PM

I would be worried about loosing effectiveness due to the noisemaker... it's a big hollow piece of plastic made for air to travel through to make noise... I bet you take off the noisemaker after a pull and it's wet... through and through.

hmm i bet it is.  what is the point of it?  Cant i seal it ?

lamrith

Just put a plug in place of that noisemaker.  $3.99 @ Orielly's.  There are links on the forum for the part you need.

That said you really just need to bite the bullet and get a meth tune, I know you don't want to, but peace of mind and realistically it is the only next step.  Doing any other installs would be a waste of $.  Your meth kit is working, you are down to 112* that is huge from where you started.  Congrats btw, seriously, your setup is working well.  Only way to get better is tune for the added octane and cooling. I view it sort of like adding high perf air filter and colder plugs without doing tune.  you just won't see much benefit without the tune.  Talk to Brad, he will get you dialed in.

If I were in your shoes I would get a tune made for your racedays.  Have it setup so you start to spray much earlier.  IE when you are brake boosting @ 3psi.  Load the tune before you head to the track, and play around a bit on the way, pretty easy to get over 3psi boost on street, let the tune and OAR settle in on the drive, then HAVE FUN!
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: lamrith on July 22, 2017, 07:47:47 PM
Just put a plug in place of that noisemaker.  $3.99 @ Orielly's.  There are links on the forum for the part you need.

That said you really just need to bite the bullet and get a meth tune, I know you don't want to, but peace of mind and realistically it is the only next step.  Doing any other installs would be a waste of $.  Your meth kit is working, you are down to 112* that is huge from where you started.  Congrats btw, seriously, your setup is working well.  Only way to get better is tune for the added octane and cooling. I view it sort of like adding high perf air filter and colder plugs without doing tune.  you just won't see much benefit without the tune.  Talk to Brad, he will get you dialed in.

If I were in your shoes I would get a tune made for your racedays.  Have it setup so you start to spray much earlier.  IE when you are brake boosting @ 3psi.  Load the tune before you head to the track, and play around a bit on the way, pretty easy to get over 3psi boost on street, let the tune and OAR settle in on the drive, then HAVE FUN!

I would not have it spray while break boosting... you stall out your engine... 5psi start MAYBE...

lamrith

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 22, 2017, 08:00:54 PM
Quote from: lamrith on July 22, 2017, 07:47:47 PM

I would not have it spray while break boosting... you stall out your engine... 5psi start MAYBE...

good point.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.