• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Avoided certain disaster today.

Started by SilvererSHO, June 09, 2017, 09:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

Well I picked up my son in town after work today and as I was walking out of the gas station after picking him up I get a text from the wife of our garage floor.  It's an oil spot I figure she's sending me but it's blurry and I can't see much as I'm getting in my car.  I didn't think much of it so I backed out of the parking spot and noticed a 2-3" puddle under the car.  It's hot out and my son was in the car so I left it running for 3-4 minutes while I was inside.  Ho lee chit.  I drive to the other end of the parking lot and back in to a spot away from traffic so I can have a look see.  It's motor oil and my filter is wet but so is everything I can see under the car too.  I grab a rag to try to tighten it but it's tight as can be and I don't budge it.  Then I grab the dipstick and it's only half a quart or so low after sitting 3-4 minutes.  So I figure I'll drive it a couple of miles and pull over.  Did the same when I pulled over and it was still only a half a quart or so low again.  So, I head for home which is another 3-4 miles away.  On the way home I'm second guessing myself thinking maybe it's tranny fluid too but I didn't smell anything.  I can't believe 1/2 a quart makes that much of a mess.  I also have an idea of what it might be ever since the wife sent the pic and am curious to get home and see if I'm right.  I parked over my pit and crawled under the car while I had the wife start the car up for me.  Sure as chit, it's just what I suspected.  The filter had a crack/hole in it.  I tightened it an extra 1/8 turn when I did an oil change 2,000 miles ago or so with one of those damn oil filter pliers.  I didn't have the right size 3/8" square drive filter socket style cup to do it properly.  I remember looking at it and didn't think it looked bad enough to toss a brand new expensive oil filter in the garbage and put on a new one just because it had a flesh wound.  I didn't think it would crack and/or have a pin hole in it but I was wrong.  I only lost a little over a quart so I dodged a bullet.  Man what a mess one quart of oil leaves.  It fanned right across the oil pan and coated the entire underside.  Even the wheels are a mess.  I've been swapping out my PTU lube so I've had the skid plate off of it for a couple of weeks too.  Probably a good thing it was off so it made the oil puddles that got noticed by the wife who I always tease that she wouldn't noticed if the sky had turned purple.  I turned the new one on as tight as I could by hand and left it.   
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

SHOdded

Ah, that sucks, glad you were able to catch the culprit and fix it in time, though!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SilvererSHO

I assumed the car has a warning light for low oil level?  But I dunno.  Does it?

SHOdded

Oil pressure (dumb switch) but not oil level.  Since mechanisms are in place to maintain oil pressure under varying conditions, you may not get that light to come on until too late in the process.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SilvererSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on June 09, 2017, 10:15:27 PM
Oil pressure (dumb switch) but not oil level.  Since mechanisms are in place to maintain oil pressure under varying conditions, you may not get that light to come on until too late in the process.

Uhhhg....well I guess I lucked out even more.  The only reason I drove it in the first place is I figured it was just a leak getting worse and not a catastrophic failure.  I put on close to 80 miles today before I knew it was leaking.

SilvererSHO

And when your hands are dry you can tighten a filter like that with the grip on the end as tight as it needs to be by hand.  But I seem to have some mental hangup with that and always think it needs to be tightened a little more for some reason.  At least with the right cup it wont cause this next time.

pmezo33

Always motorcraft and always change oil filters when i do oil changes.  Oil filters are cheap, engines are expensive.

And like you said, oil filters really don't need to be that tight.  Just lube the o-ring with some oil and snug it on.  I never got why mechanics found the need to torque those things on like they're axle nuts.  Same goes with the oil pan plug.  It only needs to be snug. 

ZSHO

X2 use a Oem Motorcraft 500S OIL FILTER and glad it was nothing serious.
Did you happen to check out the front 02 sensor which is susceptible to oil intrusion being right underneath the oil filter and check the harness/connectors for any evidence of oil. Z

Here's are a couple of good oil Filter PDF for comparison. Z
http://hillerford.com/resource_library/2010/motorcraftcompare.pdf

http://asset01.drivewebsite.com/Site/52987b61-2697-4ad0-9864-2b89db385c70/pdf/resource-center/filters/Ford_Oil_Filter_Cut-away_Comparison_2014.pdf?v=49

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SilvererSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on June 10, 2017, 07:00:22 AM
Did you happen to check out the front 02 sensor which is susceptible to oil intrusion being right underneath the oil filter and check the harness/connectors for any evidence of oil. Z

http://asset01.drivewebsite.com/Site/52987b61-2697-4ad0-9864-2b89db385c70/pdf/resource-center/filters/Ford_Oil_Filter_Cut-away_Comparison_2014.pdf?v=49

Thanks for the info.  The Fram Ultra filter I'm using is nothing like the rest of the Fram filters though which are junk.

Where would oil intrude into the O2 senser?  Are you talking about the plug or where the wire goes into the body of it?

ZSHO

Quote from: SilvererSHO on June 10, 2017, 09:04:08 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on June 10, 2017, 07:00:22 AM

Thanks for the info.  The Fram Ultra filter I'm using is nothing like the rest of the Fram filters though which are junk.

Where would oil intrude into the O2 senser?  Are you talking about the plug or where the wire goes into the body of it?
I had oil trickle down from the oil filter onto the 02 plug/connector on a couple occasions and used some electronic cleaner on the connectors while un-plugged which worked quite well. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|