• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is there any hope to rid myself of my Sync 1?

Started by Primalzer, June 08, 2017, 05:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primalzer

I know that Sync 2 is upgradeable, but from what I've seen, Sync 1 is stuck with factory updates, and that's about it.

Are there aftermarket options available? Crutchfield told me to go fly a kite (not literally, but that they don't recommend changing the stereo).

The system is seriously awful, even with the most up-to-date software (updated a month or two ago). I saw no appreciable difference after updating.

Throw me a bone here guys, am I stuck or are there options?
2011 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost
-2013+ PP SHO front brake conversion

SHOdded

I guess first we need to define the needs and wants so a few suggestions  could be made.  Tech in cars is always going to be behind that on the phone.

There IS an option to upgrade to Sync3 I believe about $2, 000 or so.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brucelinc

Please describe the issue you are having.   

Primalzer

Well the issue is mainly with the laggy software, the interface which is slow to react, the Bluetooth communication which can be spotty, I'll get the occasional crash, the USB connection will "lose" it's position (really annoying if you're listening to an audiobook, and there's no quick way of jumping to a specific spot).

Those are a few of my issues. So I have Sync 1, with navigation.

Is there a link to the upgrade to Sync 3? I know that there was the option in Sync 2, but through my investigation, it didn't look like Sync 1 had the option>? Honestly, I don't NEED navigation. I have my phone with Google Maps which serves me very well. I don't think I've ever used the integrated navigation. I need Bluetooth streaming and calling, USB and aux connectivity, and the radio. Nice to haves but not required would be interior media storage, navigation, CD player.

J-Will

there's always hope, if you throw enough cash at a problem.  I'm surprised Crutchfield didnt try to help you more, its as if they plan to essentially write off all Ford owners as customers... and I doubt that.

Worst case-
Sync uses an external and proprietary amp.  So if you change the head unit, you'll need to either use the new head unit's wattage to drive the speakers, or use/ purchase an external amp.  Either way, more wires will need to be run.  And if you get this far, you'll want to just change the speakers to better match the new amp's power.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

Primalzer

I mean, there's always the adage "Can it be done?""Of course, how much money do you have?"

I was looking for an aftermarket solution, that would limit the how much rewiring would need to be redone. I'd be fine redoing speaker wiring and bypassing the amp, but the CAN sort of scares me.

Primalzer

Also, here is the screen that pops up when I put my car details in Crutchfield...