• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Stock, upgraded stock, or ATP turbos ??

Started by 68_GT, June 06, 2017, 04:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Maybe?  I do not know the metrics of the turbos Vs stock,  but they may be more efficient at the same turbine rpm and generate less heat,  they may spool faster,  they may be lighter (doubt that one)?

I'd talk to tuners who have experience with them specifically .. they re likely to know more.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

AJP turbo

Been meaning to reply to this for awhile...So busy I can hardly post anymore...I think there is benefit to upgrading the turbos even on a stock SHO...

I don't think the increased size of the wheels on the upgrades are big enough to cause adverse effects on spool..The stockers are so little they can actually spool too early if you want...I'd be willing to bet you could get full boost well before 3k on the bigger turbos.

Even the stock fuel system has plenty of fuel to spark above 4000 rpm so you will get more airflow at high RPM from the turbos which will get the HP up even without the extra torque down low...So you can have more power and not additional stress on the drivetrain or internals....Maybe even a couple hundred more RPM since the turbos won't be the choke point and that alone can be worth power.

I would upgrade if you have the money to spend.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

EcoPowerParts

IMHO after all I've seen and done I'd suggest the upgraded stockers. Why? Because the ATP's are overkill for this platform until somebody figures out how to keep the trans together.
On the upgraded turbos I made just under 500WHP on E85 which could also be done on race gas which is more than enough for the drivetrain without having long term negative affects. It also stops you from turning it up just a little more. We all know the stock block can't handle the ATP's for more than a few months on high boost. If you're building the motor and are prepared for semi-annual trans builds as a worse case scenario then the ATP's, if you want a fun daily then the upgraded stockers with the Tial WGA.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

StealBlueSho

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on June 09, 2017, 10:24:48 AM
IMHO after all I've seen and done I'd suggest the upgraded stockers. Why? Because the ATP's are overkill for this platform until somebody figures out how to keep the trans together.
On the upgraded turbos I made just under 500WHP on E85 which could also be done on race gas which is more than enough for the drivetrain without having long term negative affects. It also stops you from turning it up just a little more. We all know the stock block can't handle the ATP's for more than a few months on high boost. If you're building the motor and are prepared for semi-annual trans builds as a worse case scenario then the ATP's, if you want a fun daily then the upgraded stockers with the Tial WGA.

I know you have done a TON of work on this platform yourself and if you don't mind me picking your brain... at what hp/tq to the wheels would you consider max for a daily driver? I saw some post saying 500 hp / 500 tq is it... others saying 450 eitherway... at what point would you say is about it?

EDIT: Apparently I skimmed the part where you already said 500... nevermind!

EcoPowerParts

One more thing about upgraded stockers, I send you new CHRA sections to install on your existing turbo "shells", no down time, no shipping turbos, no core charges. ATP you'll have to send in your turbos after ordering and wait 1-4 weeks for them to ship you the new turbos. That alone is a huge consideration.
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on June 09, 2017, 10:55:45 AM
One more thing about upgraded stockers, I send you new CHRA sections to install on your existing turbo "shells", no down time, no shipping turbos, no core charges. ATP you'll have to send in your turbos after ordering and wait 1-4 weeks for them to ship you the new turbos. That alone is a huge consideration.

I thought we had to send the stocker to you for the new CHRA? That is a BIG plus that you send out just the CHRA section for install... I was unaware of this.. I have not found anywhere online that will send out just the CHRA....even stock... thumbs up!! You maybe getting an order soon..

EcoPowerParts

Nope, new CHRA sent out now, makes it super easy. You get two CHRA and two Tial WGA ready to install. :)
www.ecopowerparts.com -

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

68_GT

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on June 09, 2017, 11:51:57 AM
Nope, new CHRA sent out now, makes it super easy. You get two CHRA and two Tial WGA ready to install. :)
thanks for talking to me on the phone yesterday and explaining all this. I'll probably go ahead and order them today.

My only concern is having thrown a rod is metal fragments having gotten into my stock turbos. As I recall your CHRA replaces the seals and components that I would need to be concerned about where oil inside my turbos could have been contaminated by metal particles / fragments whatever ??

I like the idea of your turbos but I want all of the turbos to be fresh / new with this new longblock install.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

68_GT

is this all the CHRA is ?? basically replacing these internal sections ? I assume install is self explanatory or easy with the motor out ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

68_GT

Quote from: 68_GT on June 13, 2017, 02:42:20 PM
is this all the CHRA is ?? basically replacing these internal sections ? I assume install is self explanatory or easy with the motor out ?
so this is what you get with the upgraded turbos.
here is the process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwUFMoBZxTM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo_7AeO9g4I

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

griggs95

To the OP I was wondering what caused the engine failure? At 130k and minimal mods, I was thinking the dreaded internal water pump. Also, how is the car running now with the new engine and turbos?

I'm looking at upgraded turbo's myself soon and thought this was a good resurrection thread since many of us are approaching 100k miles or more.
2011 pp: lms 91 tune - ppe downs w/ kitties - Amsoiled myself all around - gapped 30 sp plugs - enthused driver, nervous passengers - aem drop in dry filter.

Macgyver

Its always good to discuss and reread thing from the past that got us here to today.

My question is. Just because you can. Doesnt mean you should.

Why not install the ATP total upgrade turbos. Run them at a Daily Driver known power rating so you dont break things. Isnt that better for the Turbo's and maybe some other components to be run conservatively but keep the car in the Low 12's so its a blast to drive. I know it costs more but why not?

derfdog15

Quote from: Macgyver on February 26, 2018, 08:04:00 PM
Its always good to discuss and reread thing from the past that got us here to today.

My question is. Just because you can. Doesnt mean you should.

Why not install the ATP total upgrade turbos. Run them at a Daily Driver known power rating so you dont break things. Isnt that better for the Turbo's and maybe some other components to be run conservatively but keep the car in the Low 12's so its a blast to drive. I know it costs more but why not?

I think its a question of budget/goals as well as car health. For much less you can do the EPP CHRA upgrade, and get the power you want for a DD. If you only want a mid 12s to low 12s car, you dont even need the turbo upgrade necessarily.

It's like in the mustang world where people nickle and dime themselves with bolt ons (CAI, longtubes, throttlebody, etc.) instead of just getting a supercharger or turbo kit to start. Or when people go boosted, but don't upgrade the fuel system at the same time, so they save some money and then during tuning, they have to stop before they get the most out of the blower/turbo because they run out of fuel.

It's all a matter of perspective and patience IMO.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car