• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Livernois Motorsports Powerstorm 3.5L Race Series Engine Build!

Started by Livernois Motorsports, June 05, 2017, 02:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livernois Motorsports

Our Powerstorm 3.5L EcoBoost Head Studs have made it into the short block! These Powerstorm Head Studs allow for greater clamping force to keep the cylinder heads in place under high loads from built 3.5L EcoBoost engines like this one. The studs are also broached for ease of installation and come with all the required hardware.

With the studs in, we are waiting on the final assembly of the heads and we are set to finish this project!

SHOdded

Another NOOB question:  I always thought valves & valve stems were one piece.  Not the case?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SkinnyTick

I'm guessing he meant valve seals followed by the valves...

Your question sparked my curiosity. Apparently Ford used 2-piece valves in the 351C and 351M/400

2013 SHO PP
Sterling Grey Metallic
Megan Coilovers | MDesign Intake | Catted PPE Downpipes | VTA
Summer Shoes: Silver Drag DR37 20X8.5 38MM with General Gmax AS05 255/45R20
Winter Shoes: Anthracite Sport ST7 18X8 35MM with Blizzak DMV2 235/60R18

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: SHOdded on June 27, 2017, 05:33:42 PM
Another NOOB question:  I always thought valves & valve stems were one piece.  Not the case?

Hmm.. a bit of miss communication.. These are 1 piece inconel valves from the factory. They are very strong when constructed into a single piece application but some motors back in the day had 3 and 2 piece valves.

Quote from: SkinnyTick on June 27, 2017, 08:43:26 PM
I'm guessing he meant valve seals followed by the valves...

Your question sparked my curiosity. Apparently Ford used 2-piece valves in the 351C and 351M/400

Yes they did! Those were from the 90's V8 motor era.

Livernois Motorsports

The heads have been assembled and have made it into the engine build department! We should see them going on the short block sometime tomorrow!

FoMoCoSHO

So oem valves?

Do you know which of the 5 ranges is used for oem?

What kind of heat range can they tolerate?

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 29, 2017, 09:54:20 AM

So oem valves? - Yes they are OEM

Do you know which of the 5 ranges is used for oem? - Are you talking about lash for the buckets or tip height?

What kind of heat range can they tolerate? - They have lasted through many race motors and abuse on both track and street. They are pretty tough valves right from the factory. 

Livernois Motorsports

Heads are on! WOOOO! Now we are in the final assembly process to wrap everything up, make sure things are torqued, marked and then out the door it goes to a happy customer.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on June 29, 2017, 04:06:26 PM

Do you know which of the 5 ranges is used for oem? - Are you talking about lash for the buckets or tip height?

No and I apologize for not clarifying, there are 5 different ICONEL alloys that have different specs...

http://www.hpalloy.com/Alloys/hightemperature.aspx

SHOdded

Not sure I want any product called HASTELLOY being used on my vehicle ... LOL!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bpd1151

I'll PM you my address, so that "happy customer" will be me as its' recipient.

Wouldn't mind replacing my 617awhp LMS built EB with an even newer, more powerful (expected) 800+ awhp LMS built EB.

Oh yea baby!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 29, 2017, 04:26:33 PM
Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on June 29, 2017, 04:06:26 PM

No and I apologize for not clarifying, there are 5 different ICONEL alloys that have different specs...

http://www.hpalloy.com/Alloys/hightemperature.aspx

For that specific of a question, we will have to contact Ford directly. We are not 100% sure.

Livernois Motorsports

Over the past couple of weeks, we have taken you deep into the build process of this very special 3.5L EcoBoost motor build. We have shown our Powerstorm products, our machining work, and the amount of detail we put into each build.  The long block is all that is left, waiting for the shipping process.

It will be shipped out and in the customers hands to drop into their race application.

For now, we move onto the next project.

Thank you for following along!

Livernois Motorsports