• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

appears I need a new engine

Started by 68_GT, June 02, 2017, 02:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_GT

Yeah I don't get it the engine bogs and bogs then will pull
hard suddenly with boost ..

How do the upgraded wastegates on the upgraded turbos help performance ?

The wastegates basically precent the turbos from making too much boost and the BOV just let out boosted air when you let off the throttle right ? So how would these little turbos make too much boost that it needs a wastegate anyway ?

Where is the best place to buy upgraded turbos and are they all the same ??

Last do our engines have those exhaust / turbo adapters ? Seeing larger diameter exhaust to turbo adapter but didn't know if our cars even have those little exhaust plates ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

68_GT

dang engine just blew.

official time of death 132,311.70 miles.

Engine fragments took out one of my bran new rear tires..... ugh

looks like a new longblock and upgraded turbos are in my near future, unless they'll blow up another stock longblock ???

anyone know what these codes are ?

P0012
C1001
B1215

Blown engine maybe ? smh
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

SHOdded

Wow, sorry to hear it actually came about!

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0012
P0012 = "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

QuoteThis diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is a generic powertrain code, which means that it applies to OBD-II equipped vehicles, including but not limited to Toyota, VW, Honda, Chevrolet, Hyundai, Audi, Acura, etc. A P0012 code refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module) or ECM (engine control module). VVT is a technology used in the engine to allow it to get greater power or efficiency at different running points. That consists of a few different components but the P0012 DTC specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is over-retarded, the engine light will be illluminated and the code will be set. The "A" camshaft is either the intake, left, or front camshaft. This code is specific to bank 1. Bank 1 is the side of the engine that contains cylinder #1.

C1001 - KOER Self-Test Not Completed, KOER Aborted Conditions

B1215 - Running board lamp circuit short to battery

People have had P0012 codes and it has not blown up the engine.  I think it was an internal fault like a bad piston ring or cracked block that isn't monitored by the OBD system directly.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

68_GT

Caused by my running board lights !

SHOdded

Yes, that was at the core of this explosion, no doubt LOL.

As a reference for future readers:

This is what 68_GT's car sounded like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyToDADRWcg
and this is what another owner posted on YouTube (thanks, glock!)
https://youtu.be/1F5Kl9DVN7I

Now established it is definitely not normal for these engines.  No oil pressure light ever came on, quite possibly because the system is self-adjusting oil pressure and "hiding" the problem.

Also the fact that 2 quarts of oil were lost without an oil pressure light coming on ... worthwhile to be familiar with the "normal" sounds your car makes, and be concerned when the sounds change.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

irondoor19

Ha... I had that same code when i smoked the Piston

P0012 = "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

68_GT

Quote from: SHOdded on June 06, 2017, 03:17:04 AM
Yes, that was at the core of this explosion, no doubt LOL.

As a reference for future readers:

This is what 68_GT's car sounded like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyToDADRWcg
and this is what another owner posted on YouTube (thanks, glock!)
https://youtu.be/1F5Kl9DVN7I

Now established it is definitely not normal for these engines.  No oil pressure light ever came on, quite possibly because the system is self-adjusting oil pressure and "hiding" the problem.

Also the fact that 2 quarts of oil were lost without an oil pressure light coming on ... worthwhile to be familiar with the "normal" sounds your car makes, and be concerned when the sounds change.

Exactly and the noise started at 75k miles as a tick and it ran good lasted fine until abouot 127k miles then The noise got worst turned into more of a chatter started using a lot of gas a lot of oil and wasn't running very good mainly at low RPM's and more load. And FYI I change my own oil religiously since the day I bought the car at 8000 miles with mobile 1 fully synthetic. I can't blame that tune or tuner it had the stage III LMS tunes since 10,000 miles and I drove the car spiritedly often but never ragged it out. I have another video somewhere of how the text sounded initially that I will look for.

SHOdded

If you posted the video here, will take me some time to find it ...

Here's some background on the timing elements replacement at around 100K, for those interested:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5239.msg100702.html#msg100702

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

68_GT

Wish I had replaced the engine rather than only repair the timing chain tensioner and guides ! That was $3,300 at the dealer...

SHOdded

Yeah that was a big hit.  How much would their diagnostic fee have been if you had refused the work?

68_GT

maybe $85 since TC rattle is pretty easy to diagnose. The tapping the dealer always said "you need an engine" funny turns out they were right at 70K miles.

68_GT

has anyone else replaced their longblock ?

It was right at $5,800 shipped and I'll get $1k back on the core. New engines are getting harder to find so might only be remans left not too far off.

i'm concerned about what all the blown engine oil could have contaminated ?? turbos etc... ??

new engine has 3 years / unlimited mileage warranty.

anything else I should do while I'm at this project with the engine out ? such as...... any way / need to clean out the intercooler ?

irondoor19

Dam:

you over paid by 700.00, We had the intake hot tanked, tried cleaning the intercooler,
but upon inspection it still looked bad, bought a new one 220.00. Cleaned all the inlet, outlet
plumbing, etc, etc... Instructions with the New Motor Mandate a clean intake...R you doing
the install...?
if you want any details, more than above PM me, you can talk to my Tech. It is also one
small part after another (meaning the little parts will Bleed you to death)....
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

68_GT

Quote from: irondoor19 on June 14, 2017, 08:52:54 AM
Dam:

you over paid by 700.00, We had the intake hot tanked, tried cleaning the intercooler,
but upon inspection it still looked bad, bought a new one 220.00. Cleaned all the inlet, outlet
plumbing, etc, etc... Instructions with the New Motor Mandate a clean intake...R you doing
the install...?
if you want any details, more than above PM me, you can talk to my Tech. It is also one
small part after another (meaning the little parts will Bleed you to death)....

what was wrong with your intercooler ??