• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

First SHO With Direct Port Methanol injection!!

Started by ZSHO, May 25, 2017, 05:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamsho

Z, Matt did awesome job with his intercooler.  It fits in just like factory.  I'm seeing 5 to 10 degrees below ambient when at WOT and full spray.  You will love it.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

ZSHO

From what I gathered up there are not much Tuning adjustments needed for the car to take Full advantage of the upgraded Intercooler Since it being a Speed Density type of vehicle..

I think it would be wise to monitor or might need to change the wastegate settings from the extra volume AFAIK!
I might speak to Dan Millen to confirm this PRIOR! Correct me if I'm wrong! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

802SHO

I followed the intercooler threads and I believe you are correct.  The intercooler increases WGDC and so the wastegates can be tuned to accomodate the increase in volume to minimize the overall increase in duty cycle.  At least that's my understanding.  Perhaps someone else can chime in. 

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SHOdded

This site is a must read for ecoboost owners
https://stratifiedauto.com/blog/what-wastegate-duty-cycle-and-boost-curve-can-tell-us-about-our-turbo-setups/

"When we want the turbo to spool we run as high WGDC as possible until the turbo spools and then we quickly drop WGDC into a steady state zone without overshooting the boost target. When we want to slow down the turbo we run LESS WGDC and when we want to speed up the turbo we run MORE WGDC."

You can process more air or denser air.  Either way you make more power.  Since you are processing denser air with a better intercooler, you do not need to cycle the wastegate as much to achieve the same level of power.  Just like with bigger turbos you need less boost to achieve the same power.  Win-Win.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on May 17, 2019, 06:09:53 AM
https://stratifiedauto.com/blog/what-wastegate-duty-cycle-and-boost-curve-can-tell-us-about-our-turbo-setups/

"When we want the turbo to spool we run as high WGDC as possible until the turbo spools and then we quickly drop WGDC into a steady state zone without overshooting the boost target. When we want to slow down the turbo we run LESS WGDC and when we want to speed up the turbo we run MORE WGDC."

You can process more air or denser air.  Either way you make more power.  Since you are processing denser air with a better intercooler, you do not need to cycle the wastegate as much to achieve the same level of power.  Just like with bigger turbos you need less boost to achieve the same power.  Win-Win.

Good stuff.  Looks like I need to get some catless DP's.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on May 16, 2019, 09:08:39 PM
From what I gathered up there are not much Tuning adjustments needed for the car to take Full advantage of the upgraded Intercooler Since it being a Speed Density type of vehicle..

I think it would be wise to monitor or might need to change the wastegate settings from the extra volume AFAIK!

I have posted about this.....

Yes, the LMS tune will compensate for the increased volume of the IC.

No, it will not be optimal. There are adjustments that need to be made within the tune, you will not be able to keep desired boost as well past 5000 rpms. I lost about a half psi at the manifold and boost wasn't as steady. Also the wastegate ramped harder trying to achieve desired boost.

I spoke to LMS about this, offered to log with their device so it could be addressed. Was told their device didn't have the right PIDs to monitor and it should just be fine as is... in short, without paying them a boat load of money to put it on the rollers there, they were not gonna touch the tune. And when asked about getting the car up there for it, they were not interested in it even then...

Again, it will work. The turbos will be worked harder, the boost will fluctuate more, but the advantage of the IC makes up for the issues. The denser/colder air will generate more power.

ZSHO

Quote from: SM105K on May 17, 2019, 09:12:48 AM
Quote from: SHOdded on May 17, 2019, 06:09:53 AM

Good stuff.  Looks like I need to get some catless DP's.
Based on the article Catless DP are the way to go! Dunno! Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ZSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 17, 2019, 09:21:49 AM

No, it will not be optimal. There are adjustments that need to be made within the tune, you will not be able to keep desired boost as well past 5000 rpms. I lost about a half psi at the manifold and boost wasn't as steady. Also the wastegate ramped harder trying to achieve desired boost.

I spoke to LMS about this, offered to log with their device so it could be addressed. Was told their device didn't have the right PIDs to monitor and it should just be fine as is... in short, without paying them a boat load of money to put it on the rollers there, they were not gonna touch the tune. And when asked about getting the car up there for it, they were not interested in it even then...

Again, it will work. The turbos will be worked harder, the boost will fluctuate more, but the advantage of the IC makes up for the issues. The denser/colder air will generate more power.
Agreed! If the Wastegates seem lazy from the extra volume that's all that may be needed! Z

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on May 17, 2019, 09:45:56 AM
Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 17, 2019, 09:21:49 AM

Agreed! If the Wastegates seem lazy from the extra volume that's all that may be needed! Z

BamSHO put upgraded WG actuators on at the same time he did the IC upgrade... says the combo works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLEXXX

do you have a part number for the intercooler?
Motor, turbo's, exhaust, intake, nitrous, W/M blah blah blah

FLEXXX

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FLEXXX on May 17, 2019, 10:01:20 AM
https://www.partsgeek.com/8hytjsd-ford-flex-intercooler.html

Same manufacturer but different IC. The one from GH has a different core/tank setup... they worked with CSF to develop the one he sells.

The one in your link is an OEE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLEXXX

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!