• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2016 Explorer Sport PTU Failure

Started by SpaceN3rd, May 25, 2017, 01:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceN3rd

Recently, my dad's 2016 explorer sport had a kind of clunking feeling coming from somewhere in the drivetrain, but only at low speeds, and usually only in reverse. At low speeds (less than 5 mph), the transmission would clunk, and the car would shutter. About a week later, we got six inches of snow here in colorado, so I drove it to school. When I put the car into snow mode, I could hear a low basey sound coming from the transmission, and experienced the shuttering and clunking while reversing into a parking spot. I thought it was just traction control, due to the massive potholes in the dirt parking lot. Yesterday, my dad brought the car into the dealer to have them look at it. They said it was a PTU failure, and will be replacing it under warranty. It's surprising considering it only has 35k miles. Anyone else having this problem?

Gjkrisa

Good to know 10k miles in one year I'm going to need to talk to Ford about my 3 year 36000 mile warranty

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

SHOdded

Sorry to hear, Space, these failures are not uncommon.  The reason is unknown, but most will attribute it to gear lube failure.  This is despite the XSport's cooled & monitored PTU sad.  The Police Interceptors are on a 30K mile schedule for gear lube changes, if that helps any.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lexingtonian

I am of the belief that the PTU Oil should be changed within 5,000 miles of the unit leaving the factory then, again in the 15-25K mile range hereafter. Ford is being disingenuous with the "Lifetime Oil" statement.

OP feel free to take a look at my 2016 Explorer Sport PTU Oil Change thread for more info of what the oil looks like after 16,500 miles...

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7831.0.html
2016 Explorer Sport Metallic
93 Octane AJP Tune (SCT X4)
3Bar MAP
Plugs at .030

jbrown9999

Well, then I'm behind on '16 SHO.  I'm at about 8400 miles and have changed the engine oil 4 times so far.
So, in addition to an early change on the PTU, what else should I do at this mileage?

Also, maybe we should have a thing under maintenance that says "Steps for New Ecoboost owners" and cover both brand new and used purchases for things that us noobs should do.
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

SpaceN3rd

Quote from: Lexingtonian on May 25, 2017, 02:58:29 PM
I am of the belief that the PTU Oil should be changed within 5,000 miles of the unit leaving the factory then, again in the 15-25K mile range hereafter. Ford is being disingenuous with the "Lifetime Oil" statement.

OP feel free to take a look at my 2016 Explorer Sport PTU Oil Change thread for more info of what the oil looks like after 16,500 miles...

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7831.0.html
Holy crap! Anyone know if the dealer cna do the fluid changes? Also, how much would it cost for the dealer to do it?

Lexingtonian

Quote from: SpaceN3rd on May 26, 2017, 01:12:15 PM
Holy crap! Anyone know if the dealer cna do the fluid changes? Also, how much would it cost for the dealer to do it?

That's another problem SpaceN3rd. The dealer probably wont do it, and certainly wont under warranty. Ford is telling them it's lifetime fluid and because of that, they will bot touch it. I've read of a few dealers that accepted payment for the work, but consensus across the interwebs is, it's rare..
2016 Explorer Sport Metallic
93 Octane AJP Tune (SCT X4)
3Bar MAP
Plugs at .030

CroR1

How about this assumption; Ford knows that the PTU is a POS and they do not want dealers changing the fluid as this would place a liability on dealers if the PTU explodes after the oil change has been done. Simply, all involved would question how correctly the fluid change was done by dealer. I think the design of these clutches in the PTU are overheating, main reason for failure. overheating shortens the lifespan of oil....

polskifacet

Quote from: CroR1 on May 26, 2017, 02:05:23 PM
How about this assumption; Ford knows that the PTU is a POS and they do not want dealers changing the fluid as this would place a liability on dealers if the PTU explodes after the oil change has been done. Simply, all involved would question how correctly the fluid change was done by dealer. I think the design of these clutches in the PTU are overheating, main reason for failure. overheating shortens the lifespan of oil....
No clutches in PTU, they are in the transmission.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs