• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Want to Drill the Intercooler For Drain Valves - Need your Comments

Started by irondoor19, May 24, 2017, 12:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irondoor19

So we have the Intercooler out of the Car (and the core Support) and it has been
cleaned (but we are not happy with what we see inside after cleaning).
So we are ready to sacrifice it in order to test out the Following:

We have looked into Exactly Where it can be Drilled for two 1/4" Drain Valve's,
One on either End. This would have to be done in the Plastic Section Only at each end...
the initial Question: If we drill and tap this plastic, what are the chances that the
minimal amount of threads will hold under boost Pressure. (and or J/B Weld)

IF SO Then we will also drill a 2" hole in the Core Support on both sides,
to allow access to the Drain. "your initial comments are welcome"
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

ZSHO

Please save yourself from future potential headaches and DO NOT DRILL the Intercooler. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MiWiAu

Quote from: ZSHO on May 24, 2017, 01:25:49 PM
Please save yourself from future potential headaches and DO NOT DRILL the Intercooler. Z

^ +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

jayskycj

I think those who are in favor of not drilling it have never experienced these issues and how critical the surging and powerloss is.  The F-150 guys go into extensive detail with results.  The knee jerk reaction is the sky is falling with this 1/16" hole.

Edit, post weep hole from an F-150 owner:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXP1KBXSny8#action=share
2010 LMS Mycal 4X3Bar with K&N typhoon, 170 tstat, 534 plugs gapped .030, PPE Downpipes, magnaflow X Pipe and stock mufflers. Eibach Springs and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

ZSHO

Quote from: jayskycj on May 24, 2017, 03:02:28 PM
I think those who are in favor of not drilling it have never experienced these issues and how critical the surging and powerloss is.  The F-150 guys go into extensive detail with results.  The knee jerk reaction is the sky is falling with this 1/16" hole.

Edit, post weep hole from an F-150 owner:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXP1KBXSny8#action=share
This Forum does not support this so-called mod as it can have and ultimately cause severe implications long term and we need to move on. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

F150Eco

I have seen this topic beaten to death. A large number of people with f150 boosts have drilled the hole and seen no problem from it, but have cured persistent problems. I don't like the idea of over speeding it over time, but without an intercooler that has provisions for a bov on the bottom (as the Full Race does for the f150), what else are we to do?

I've contemplated drilling the hole and plugging it with a screw. Open once in a while to clear it out.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

irondoor19

I think i am being Misunderstood here, The Question was:

We are Contemplating Putting in 2 Drains into the intecooler,

both of them with 360 Single Turn Valves, AND as now i have

a Used Intercooler to play with....Drilling, then Threading the Plastic,

Additionally Sealing in the Valve Etc, would the Setup withstand the Pressure

in the system...IS THIS POSSIBLE......???

Also: after a long conversation with the Ford Dealer Mech...

the F150 Problem is specific the the F150, and not the same
problem for our platform (F150 intercooler is too Efficient)

avidmotion

The new GH intercooler has such a provision I believe on the drivers side, just saying......
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

SHOdded

All depends on how sturdy the plastic is, material and thickness of material.  It has to be pretty sturdy to hold boost pressure, so I think as long as drill the hole carefully, have the drain plug very precisely matched, and use a good sealing gasket rated for oil, fuel, water, acids, etc. it should work.  There is no undoing this, of course, and there is always the possibility of the plastic cracking.  Driver side is preferred because that is where the most crud accumulates.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

nickstewartroc

The real question is... since this OP was from 2 years ago, did they actually do it?
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

ZSHO

I would proceed with caution as the slightest Pin hole can ultimately cause a boost leak unless installed properly using a 1/4" NPT Aluminum or steel Bung IMO! Z

irondoor19

Quote from: avidmotion on March 12, 2019, 10:31:35 PM
The new GH intercooler has such a provision I believe on the drivers side, just saying......

So as this has re-surfaced, "Why i don't know"
the Gearhead intercooler does have a Drill and tap plug on the Bottom,
and Prior to total assembly and completion of the Engine, trans ETC., IT
might be a good time to ADD a 360 Petcock drain in leu of that plug....?