• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Another dumb question, the gas light seems set to turn on a bit high?

Started by TopherSho, May 17, 2017, 05:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Call me crazy but I sear i have 4+ gallons left in my tank when the idiot light comes on.  Is that common ?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

StealBlueSho

Yes. It's a 19 gallon tank.. idiot light comes on I usually drop around ~15 gallons into it.

TopherSho

seems weird that with 100+ highways miles left in the tank it flips on the scare the old people message :P .. oh well.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

StealBlueSho

Well... my wife is a perfect example.. she will literally drive until the miles left indicator says 0...

I doubt she is unique in this... almost all cars have a couple extra gallons in tank after the needle bottoms out.. this was originally done because most pumps are cooled by the gas in the tank... if you constantly run it dry you are risking damaging the pump from over heating...

So they would leave some extra on the table if you will to protect the pump.

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSho
Well... my wife is a perfect example.. she will literally drive until the miles left indicator says 0...

I doubt she is unique in this...
LOL ..

Quote from: StealBlueSho
almost all cars have a couple extra gallons in tank after the needle bottoms out.. this was originally done because most pumps are cooled by the gas in the tank... if you constantly run it dry you are risking damaging the pump from over heating... So they would leave some extra on the table if you will to protect the pump.

Yeah my G35 was this way. under 3 gallons and you could hear it whine away ..

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lamrith

yeah mine chimes and the fuel bar turns yellow just above the empty mark (about a bar or two width.)  I knew I had plenty of fuel left, so ran it a bit longer and filled when it was exactly on E just to see where it was at (bar I think turned red at that point?).  It was a hair over 16gallons till the pump shutoff.  Similarly, at the 1/4 tank mark my car took 12.8gal.  Made a note of both so I know can factor that in if/when I do E20/30 blending...

'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

FiveLeeter918

yea my gas light comes on with 42 miles to empty, but if I run it all the way to 0 then fill up it only puts ~16.5 gallons in.

Hell of a reserve tank lol
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

StealBlueSho

It's for people like my wife who thinks when it says 0 it's a suggestion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TooFast4SHO

Also, running the tank that low can cause all the debris in your tank to accumulate right at the pickup sock area and can cause a clogged pickup...
2014 SHO non PP, Livernois 3bar v8 tune, PPE Catted Downpipes, 3rd cat delete with straight pipe stock back, H&R Dropped Springs, Low Temp Thermo. Adaptive Cruise, Collision Avoidance, Lane Keeping, Auto Brights..

12.99 @ 106.4 with 3/4 tank of gas and spare etc. in car.

f8tlSHO

I use my low light so I know I can put 5.25 gallons of e85 and 9.75 of 93 octane. With a little to spare. I think mine may be closer to 3 gallons with the light. My wife likes to see - miles on the gauge..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

TSS

Mine comes on prematurely as well. It says I have 50 miles left, which would equate to 2 to 3 gallons. Yet, I fill the tank and discover there was 5 gallons already in there. It's always been this way. Fortunately, I try to never let my tank get below half, so I have only had to deal with it a handful of times in my 5+ years of ownership.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

ZSHO

I happen to agree with- TooFast4SHO and a bit off Topic but find it beneficial to always keep your tank FULL and to Keep the gas tank at least 1/4 full. This much gasoline, a 1/4 tank, keeps the fuel pump surrounded by gasoline, which helps keep the fuel pump cool.
Running the tank less than 1/4 tank depletes this "coolant" and allows the fuel pump to run hotter. It is this heat from the pump, in addition to the ambient heat, that literally distills the gasoline in the tank. This precipitates out the solids and the sludges, which plugs the fuel pump filter. Having at least 1/4 tank of gas in the tank reduces all of these risks,just my 2 cent.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Quote from: TSS on July 28, 2017, 09:51:33 AM
Mine comes on prematurely as well. It says I have 50 miles left, which would equate to 2 to 3 gallons. Yet, I fill the tank and discover there was 5 gallons already in there. It's always been this way. Fortunately, I try to never let my tank get below half, so I have only had to deal with it a handful of times in my 5+ years of ownership.

This what i Notice .. *if* i do a full fuel fill, i end up only needing 14-14.5 gallons .. i have driven down as far as 9 miles left and still had 2 gallons in it. 

as other noted it might be overstating to protect the blue hairs ..

Sholab1

Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on July 25, 2017, 01:22:57 PM
yea my gas light comes on with 42 miles to empty, but if I run it all the way to 0 then fill up it only puts ~16.5 gallons in.

Hell of a reserve tank lol
Same here 42

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk