• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

High boost at part throttle-inducing knock

Started by F150Eco, May 15, 2017, 09:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Quote from: mwemaxxowner on May 16, 2017, 07:05:51 PM
There are just a lot of possibilities. Too many rabbits to chase.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yup, that is why I think a proper diagnostic from a different dealer may be in order.  it could be a bad sensor, bad harness ect throwing off readings.  could be the injector but it would pop a code unless there is a fault elsewhere as well :(  ..

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

AJP turbo

I could send you a config file to log with...the dealer wont even look at the log...they arent even epuipped to look or understand.

You need a legitimate log for starters with proper pids...and even the. It can be difficult becuase you really have no idea what the s going on in the calibration

I would return to stock and see if you get dtc's

Its hard for me to believe you are actually even getting knock...the knock sensors will pull spark to prevent that...the knock readings you see in the log are not knock but rather the amount of additional crankshaft rotation before the spark plug fires in order to prevent knock from happening

You had a 2.7?...it runs individual cylinder knock sensor logic so remember its the opp of the sho guys...when logging individual knock ssensor...negative values are pulling spark or delaying spark but that amount of extra crank rotation

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

I wouldn't count on a injector always causing a CEL.

You're not logging fuel trims so we can't see if the ECM is trying to compensate for a malfunctioning injector.

That config file is a bit different than what I'm used to looking at.

I would take AJP up on that config file and get some fresh logs.

AJP turbo

Im simply saying you need real logs, which you have, and not logs from torque pro or an app...i thought you mentioned that is what you would show a dealer

I would look at individual knock sensor dmr

Global is fine but not as specific

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

You will get knock retard like crazy on this engine if you switch your stock setting from individual knock retard...i would use the stock setting for  starters.

Next i would never ever look for a custom tune to help a knock retard problem....the very last thing you want to do is throw more boost at a knock retard problem

What website are you looking at to see if you have strategy updates availabel?

What is your strategy and software ecu part number....post those and ill see if i can find something

What is your spark when at wot and load level?

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

There are no calibrators or tuners at the dealer....it needs to be stock and have dtc's

Stock i think your tune will pull a max of 7.5 degrees of spark....if it remains pegged during a wot pull i could believe its knocking because it may want to pull more and cant.....if you see spikes of 7.5 and less than i would have a hard time believing its really knocking

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: mwemaxxowner on May 16, 2017, 08:23:50 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on May 16, 2017, 08:18:19 PM
Im simply saying you need real logs, which you have, and not logs from torque pro or an app...i thought you mentioned that is what you would show a dealer

Ahh. Gotcha. I was just meaning something I could show the dealer. I can't very well roll up in there with my x4.  Then they definitely won't look at it. Lol

"False" knock has been mentioned, and I'd be inclined to believe a lot of the knock I see was false, if it weren't for the knock I hear. I don't have a loud exhaust, or downpipes, etc.

Edit-I did have Torrie switch my old tow tune over to cylinder knock. That is a tune I can log and watch knock on each cylinder.

mwe, you've got mail!

TopherSho

Quote from: mwemaxxowner on May 16, 2017, 08:23:50 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on May 16, 2017, 08:18:19 PM

Ahh. Gotcha. I was just meaning something I could show the dealer. I can't very well roll up in there with my x4.  Then they definitely won't look at it. Lol

That will be a problem for the dealer...  They likely are not going to take the word of any of us that the data you show them indicates a problem.  Ford and most dealer OEM shops have a set protocol of diagnostics that they follow.  you have sadly already encountered it. If THEY can't reproduce it they don't think it exists.  But it is also not 'entirely' thier fault.  If they took the word of every tom-dick&harry that their favorite tuner said they have a issue they'd loose enormous amounts of time running ''what if'' diagnostics.  sadly you need to get them to admit they hear it,  and or get a hard CEL/DCT to pop that they can start following the sheets on (sheets being steps 1-100 on what to troubleshoot).   Without a certain amount of hard-set steps to follow you'd be in the shop longer and cost more cash.

we can show them the bad knock if and when you can record it with the handheld with a better datalog config  .. but it is testimony they cannot validate *or wont* based on their previous response of "that's just how it runs..".

I defer to greater judgement than mine .. but i would think they need the their in-car diagnostic tools to believe what we might say is going on.

is the truck within warranty \ return to dealer time ??  you could be a dick and force the issue by threatening to return it, but it will ruin your relationship with that dealer.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

AJP turbo

You could run 87 octane stock and try to blow it up since you have warranty

Just know that the knock sensor activity is not knock...a common thing i see is people telling me they are knocking because they saw knock sensors readings....there should always be knock sensor readings

I know what your reply will be but i think some people will imagine knock noises because they see knock sensors readings and thier mind tells them it has to be knocking....but your reply is you say you really hear it so back to square 1....drive it stock and blow it up i guess and problem should be solved

The fact is these ecoboost engines are so sensitive with the robust ford knock logic its actually very rare that they really knock.....the knock sensors simply wont allow it....unless you are running insane amounts of boost that no amount of knock retard can remedy

I have to get my ass back to work!...post a few different logs and the items i asked you about if you can

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Too bad there is no PID for oil pressure.  I suppose you could get a crude estimation of how it behaves if you put the car on a dyno & then watched an add-on gauge.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: mwemaxxowner on May 16, 2017, 08:54:42 PM
I didn't start watching the knock sensor stuff except when I was logging wot for a tuner until AFTER I began hearing the knock and noticed the puff of smoke. That's when I was like, "Wth is that!?"

I didn't see the knock then start hearing it. The other way around actually.

Not my truck, but start listening at about 9 seconds.

https://youtu.be/Nmn0YX2ibSo

That's what it sounds like. Popping or clicking.

I absolutely believe you based on your description,  the questions is what is causing the knock.  I'd use AJP's Config for datalogging and see if you can get it to do the hard knocking under Factory Tune -meth injection.

wait ... /light bulb/

Did the issue start AFTER installing the meth kit and or a aftermarket intake ??

TopherSho

If it is in fact one cylinder still doing it in oem form it would be a concern to me... borrow a scope and take a look inside.  see what color the plug ceramic and tip is. 

beyond that a log is the best best and or a flight-data-recorder.  tuning around the issue is masking it in my opinion and potentially dangerous under greater tuned loads :(

TopherSho

Quote from: TopherSho on May 17, 2017, 09:04:01 AM
If it is in fact one cylinder still doing it in oem form it would be a concern to me... borrow a scope and take a look inside.  see what color the plug ceramic and tip is. 

beyond that a log is the best best and or a flight-data-recorder.  tuning around the issue is masking it in my opinion and potentially dangerous under greater tuned loads :(

oh yeah its truck :P .. just pull the plug that would be easier ;)

*IF* the dealer is willing to take 200$ of your money,  have them swap the injector to another cylinder and get a brand new plug and GAP it yourself.   the only reason i say have the dealer do the swap is pressurized inspectors scare the s*** out of me.

TopherSho

I'd verify to make sure i'm not wrong, but i am about 99% sure you WANT to keep the .28 1 step colder plugs.   you are dealing with more cylinder pressure and heat than me and i received huge benefits going to .28 and 1 step colder in terms of spark advance under load.

as for testing the injectors the dealer might .. can't hurt to ask if it is that cylinder every time.  but it will cost you a couple bills at least to find out.  but if it is leaking or not actuating correctly you will get a fair amount of that cash back from the warranty.

but i'd do the datalog dance and post it here 1st.. that's free. :)

TopherSho

Quote from: mwemaxxowner on May 17, 2017, 09:54:54 AM
Quote from: TopherSho on May 17, 2017, 09:45:02 AM

as for testing the injectors the dealer might .. can't hurt to ask if it is that cylinder every time.  but it will cost you a couple bills at least to find out.  but if it is leaking or not actuating correctly you will get a fair amount of that cash back from the warranty.

Might make more sense to put up some cash for diagnosis vs throwing some into parts that take time and sweat to change knowing most of it will be pointless. It would be really nice to verify cylinder 6 is good to go.

I'm not scared to mess with the injectors, but I hardly ever have any time to fool with such things. My fear is really only that I will goof reinstallation in some way and cause a problem where there may be none. I've been told it's a delicate process and you have to be careful.

What do you make of WOT driving looking fine? That's a lot of why I've remained stumped.

My assumption though probably/possibly wrong is un-metered air or fuel..  so while the logs 'look good' it gets weird under circumstances where a lot less fuel is being sent to the cylinder.  either it is not getting all the fuel it needs,  or it is getting to much fuel to that cylinder.  and visa-versa if there is unmetered air same thing can cause ratio issues.

lastly focusing on one cylinder spark issues can still be a thing.. running one plug with a oem plug might not be a bad test.  bit i remember you stating the issue occurred with oem plugs.

but overall you need to ensure the full system is healthy and make sure in the logs we can see that only one cylinder is the issue while we can also see the rest of the systems are in line using AJP's log.

as to 30 minutes of data,  it will not fit on the device. 38 parameters will fill the device quickly.  you will need to bring a laptop and slave the hand-held to the laptop and use livelink to do the capture.