• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

Started by Lexingtonian, May 14, 2017, 03:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexingtonian

Quote from: SHOdded on August 01, 2017, 04:33:58 PM
to embed the video, use this link instead
! No longer available
Basically, the full URL, and http instead of https.

I tried it but it still doesnt embed right. Ideas? Thanks!
2016 Explorer Sport Metallic
93 Octane AJP Tune (SCT X4)
3Bar MAP
Plugs at .030

ZSHO

@-Lexingtonian due appreciate you taking your time to post/share some important,informative pics for the Ecoboost community.  Z  :thumb: :thumb:

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Lexingtonian

3Bar MAP
Plugs at .030

68_GT

I pulled my engine to extend the PTU vent hose up so I can drain and fill it. I'm at 135k miles on the original PTU fluid :)

OK so actually I extended the vent hose up while installing a new long block lol ugh.....

gotta get this done. how much gear oil goes in and recommended brand ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SHOdded

Official fill capacity is 18 ounces.  Recommended brands?  Everyone has a favorite, but Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, Mobil1 and Valvoline top most people's lists.  Motorcraft if you intend to R&R at shorter intervals.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DirtyHarry

This is for a 2016 Explorer 4wd non-turbo to add the extension for the PTU breather tube;

1. Buy 2' 5/16" Id  fuel line hose from your local parts store (2.99)
2. Buy 5/16" splice nipple fitting from True Value (1.99)
3. Remove the air box snorkel and the throttle body- no need to unplug
4. Locate the Breather tube, mine had a yellow tag. Use two wire ties to hold the top while cutting the rubber tube with side cutters. DO NOT cut the wire connector holding the old tube in place! Pull the cap out and carefully cut the old hose off it.
5. On the new hose, lube the nipple connector and push into hose end
6. On the old tube, lube the fitting with new hose, and slowly wiggle into the tube. You might need to hold the old tube but it should stay.
7. Run new hose up around throttle body area and place old breather cap back on, lube it too.
8. replace throttle body and snorkel assy.

DanJett

Quote from: DirtyHarry on October 14, 2017, 09:47:08 PM
This is for a 2016 Explorer 4wd non-turbo to add the extension for the PTU breather tube;

1. Buy 2' 5/16" Id  fuel line hose from your local parts store (2.99)
2. Buy 5/16" splice nipple fitting from True Value (1.99)
3. Remove the air box snorkel and the throttle body- no need to unplug
4. Locate the Breather tube, mine had a yellow tag. Use two wire ties to hold the top while cutting the rubber tube with side cutters. DO NOT cut the wire connector holding the old tube in place! Pull the cap out and carefully cut the old hose off it.
5. On the new hose, lube the nipple connector and push into hose end
6. On the old tube, lube the fitting with new hose, and slowly wiggle into the tube. You might need to hold the old tube but it should stay.
7. Run new hose up around throttle body area and place old breather cap back on, lube it too.
8. replace throttle body and snorkel assy.

I think I'm going with this method instead of replacing the whole hose. Seems easier.

Thank you!

youtek

Thank you for posting this. I have a 2016 xplorer sport gray metalic with 34k miles and I did the PTU oil change today with the guidance of this post. PS I could n't tight the brace from 5/16 hose I couldn't make it with sucha as small room. Also, with the filling, mine took over 3 hours to fill due to tje hydrolock. When you say give some space for the funnel you mean not to fill all the way up? and rather wait to be empty when adding more fluid? Thanks very much!

Lexingtonian

I'm assuming you're saying you couldn't tighten the cable clamp down at the bottom of the 5/16 hose connected to the PTU vent nipple? It's tricky for sure, it needs to be done from underneath the vehicle and you're completely blind.

As far as the oil draining in, hopefully you measured how much you drained as that's how much that needs to go back in (plus maybe and ounce or two for good measure). Yes if the oil is left to sit and drip in on it's own it will take hours so that's normal. These days, I jam the oil bottle nipple into the 5/16 hose and force it down the pipe by squeezing the bottle. It goes in in minutes that way.

glad the post was a help! Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.
3Bar MAP
Plugs at .030

youtek

Yes, I couldn't tight the clamp down at the bottom of the 5/16 hose. I'm afraid this will leak some oil in the future, I will try to tackle this on the next PTU fluid change. As for the fill time, after 3 hours waiting, I decided to  spin vehicle a little bit forward and then finally all the new fluid came in. I was able to drain 13 oz of fluid and put same amount back with new fluid.