• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

91, 92 and 93 octane gas and from the pump ethanol %

Started by SilvererSHO, May 12, 2017, 10:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

Here in MN in the north metro I've found the best deal on gas at Fleet Farm.  I paid $2.45 today for 92 octane.  I think that's still 10% ethanol.  Correct me if I am wrong anyone.  Most places Holiday, Super America mainly have 91 octane of what I'm assuming is the same 10% ethanol.  Those places seem to be 20 cents higher per gallon than the 92 octane at Fleet Farm though.  Casey's General Store has 87 and 89 with the 89 octane I think having the new 15% ethanol.  93 octane is few and far between.  Am I getting a deal or not?  What are the gas pumps in your area?  I could run non-oxy here too but most places are almost $3.00 a gallon here for that.  That and it isn't legal I guess, wink: wink:.  Too bad the independent station by my parents is too far away.  They have cheap non-oxy there and I'd mix it with E-85.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

SHOdded

There is a difference, but mostly at the premium octane level, where proprietary detergent/additive packs come into play.  Base fuel is pretty much the same, the differences arise during transportation, mixing, and storage.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

hawkeye93

BP stations generally have 93, but it's expensive.  I generally get 92 octane from Costco or Fleet Farm.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

Sugar

When I tested my ethanol content in 93 at my local Sheetz,  it was only about 4% ethanol. I was super surprised. Haven't performed another test to see, so not sure if it's 100% accurate.
2015 SHO nonpp - Torrie 93 tune, AEM drop in, 170 thermostat, 3 bar

Brucelinc

I live in the north metro area of Minneapolis and there are BP stations with 93.  That is all I ever used in my MKS and I also use in in my Conti.  I think it around $2.59 but it varies.  Not sure where Fleet Farm gets their fuel or if it is a tier 1 product.

92BlackGT

most fuel in OKC is E10 but Phillips66 and some Valeros offer E0 fuel. I use Shell E10 91 with my 91 tune and it's fine. The E0 91 costs over 30 cents/gallon more than E10 91. Paying a 12% premium for a 3% mpg decrease doesnt make economical sense. I do use the Phillips66 E0 91 when i mix with e85 mainly because they're both on the same pump but different hoses.
only 1 station in the OKC area has 93 and they want over $1/gallon more than 91.... eff that noise
'14 Taurus SHO - non PP, Unleashed E20 tune, 3 bar - 12.91 @ 106.5 mph
'93 Mustang Coupe - AFR 165's, FTI cam, ported Cobra intake - 13.05 @ 105.6 mph

Sugar

Just out of curiosity I did a test on the 93 from my local Sheetz where I get my gas.  E content was approximately 4%.  This was earlier in spring and I plan on doing it again here before we get too far into Fall to see if there is a difference,

http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/How_to_measure_the_ethanol_content_of_gasoline/
2015 SHO nonpp - Torrie 93 tune, AEM drop in, 170 thermostat, 3 bar