• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Pirelli tire review

Started by SHO-Pa, June 06, 2017, 09:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHO-Pa

Since we all kind of ask "What tires should I get" at some point, I figured I would put this out there - maybe someone will find it helpful!

Last year I picked up some Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires for the SHO. They were less expensive than Blizzaks and came in a size to fit the spare set of wheels. I believe they are actually CUV/SUV tires but since the SHO is pretty chunky (Hey, its not heavy, its big boned!), it seems like they do OK. They are the best wet weather tires I've experienced! A little more noise, but not bad. No problem with snow, like it wasn't even there, but nothing helps with ice so there's always that. Worth considering if you need winter treadsadn aren't a very aggressive driver when the flakes are flying. They replaced the dry rotted Michelin that came with the SHO on the original, curbed (by the PO) wheels.

I picked up a set of PVD take-off 20s and they had Firestone Firehawk GTs. They were not really a performance tire IMHO. Grip wasn't too great from the start and they started getting noisy and rough. Since they were take-offs I had no real idea how many miles were on them but they had decent tread to start. They were getting to the point where I could get some wheel slip off the line at times so they were starting to get greasy and time to go!

After much research and angst, I got a set of Pirelli P-Zero AS+ on to replace the 'stones. I contemplated a summer tire but wanted better wet weather traction that what some of the summer tires seemed to offer (based on TireRack Reviews). What a difference from the 'Stones! Smoother, quieter, better grip, better ride. Still breaking them in but they seem fantastic so far! Its almost like having a new car again!

Never underestimate the difference a good set of tires can make to your ride!
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

avidmotion

True that, I agree great tires are very important and can completely change the personality of a car. Great traction at the limits of adhesion is my goal....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

irondoor19

I am running Pirelli PZero's on the 2011 as follows:

Motegi MR120 Black 20 X 9 Wheels With 275/40ZR-20 Pirelli P Zero's,

and after we had the Engine Out and Steering Rack apart,

A four (4) wheel alignment @ the Dealer

The Car has never felt more attached to the road,

my cornering speed is Sick and I am afraid of Nothing......!

2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,