• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Misfire/oil on spark plug

Started by ShoNuff757, May 08, 2017, 11:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoNuff757

Quote from: pmezo33 on May 30, 2017, 08:47:26 AM
Zero compression in one cylinder and the car was perfectly fine prior to that drive when it started to misfire?  And your only symptom besides the misfire was a little oil on the plug?  Something isn't adding up.

That is the gist of it. I was passing someone on the highway, at +/- two-thirds throttle when the car started to miss and the CEL started flashing. Prior to that, the car ran fine.
2011 SHO non-PP. Tuned by AJP Turbo.

"Remember: No matter where you go...there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai

ShoNuff757

Quote from: ZSHO on May 30, 2017, 09:08:34 AM
I'm assuming you have warranty!! I recall a while back a member with a 2010 SHO with 60k having similar issues with the Dealer ending up having a short block installed under warranty.
I hope you did not install the newly awaited Tune!! Best of luck and keep us updated. Z
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5194.0.html

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3628.0.html

I have a Ford ESP Powertrain Warranty. Ford has requested the maintenance history on the car, which I was fortunately able to get from the previous owner (I haven't owned the car long). Last word from the dealership is that they're doing the tear down on the engine (which I'm on the hook for if the warranty claim is denied), and are sending pictures to Ford. I didn't get the chance the upload the tune. This happened literally the day before I was planning to install the 3-Bar, tune, plugs, and t-stat.
The threads that you provided links to are very similar to the issue that I am having.

ShoNuff757

It's been a slow-going process, but the final word is "catastrophic failure" on cylinder #2. The service advisor said they found pieces of the piston and rod inside the oil pan, and debris damaged one of the camshafts. They didn't offer any speculation on how or why it occurred, and I'm still waiting on them to send me pictures of the internals.
Ford approved the warranty claim a couple of days ago, and the replacement long black has been ordered. Hopefully I have her back on the road within a couple of weeks.
Thanks!

SHOdded

Well some good news at last, but not very comforting overall for the Ecoboost community.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoNuff757

Quote from: SHOdded on June 23, 2017, 02:55:35 PM
Well some good news at last, but not very comforting overall for the Ecoboost community.

It doesn't instill a lot in me either, especially considering that I owned the car for one month and 2k miles before it happened. I really like the car though, so I'm going to stick with it rather than sell it.

SHOdded

:thumb:  hope to hear the replacement went flawlessly!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoNuff757

Finally got the car back yesterday. Ford put a factory reman long block in. Only took two months to get the work done!
It feels noticeably peppier than it did before. Now I'm apprehensive about tuning the thing, since I've already blown one engine without tuning it.

SHOdded

give it a 1,000 miles or so (how long would that take you btw) then go for it.  I always like to get to know the baseline before I make a change.

lamrith

Quote from: ShoNuff757 on July 25, 2017, 03:36:02 PM
Finally got the car back yesterday. Ford put a factory reman long block in. Only took two months to get the work done!
It feels noticeably peppier than it did before. Now I'm apprehensive about tuning the thing, since I've already blown one engine without tuning it.
Yeah I agree with you on that.  It seems in the various groups I am in I have seen a number of EB failing of late, both tuned and not tuned.  I am tuned at this point, and love to go for more, but same time not going to lie that I am a bit apprehensive myself even with what I have done so far.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

ShoNuff757

Quote from: lamrith on July 25, 2017, 04:55:36 PM
Quote from: ShoNuff757 on July 25, 2017, 03:36:02 PM
Yeah I agree with you on that.  It seems in the various groups I am in I have seen a number of EB failing of late, both tuned and not tuned.  I am tuned at this point, and love to go for more, but same time not going to lie that I am a bit apprehensive myself even with what I have done so far.

I had a minute to talk with the tech that did the work. He blamed it squarely on detonation. He strongly recommended that I put a catch can set up on the engine. It's at the top of my list of priorities now.

sholxgt

I'm really glad it worked out!

Regarding tuning or not...I think your stock motor scattering shows it's not really a tune issue.  Motors generally either hold together or they don't.  Your factory motor was likely just not right from the start.

That being said, I would only run a quality full synthetic oil and top tier premium fuel on your new motor.  Don't know what was in the last one, but quality fluids and fuel along with a good maintenance routine will keep the new one healthy as long as possible.  Tuned or not.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

ShoNuff757

Quote from: sholxgt on July 26, 2017, 04:28:19 PM
I'm really glad it worked out!

Regarding tuning or not...I think your stock motor scattering shows it's not really a tune issue.  Motors generally either hold together or they don't.  Your factory motor was likely just not right from the start.

That being said, I would only run a quality full synthetic oil and top tier premium fuel on your new motor.  Don't know what was in the last one, but quality fluids and fuel along with a good maintenance routine will keep the new one healthy as long as possible.  Tuned or not.

Thanks. That's pretty much standard for any vehicle I have (synth oil, good gas). With the first oil change on this motor, it'll be full synthetic for its entire life.
My other vehicle is an '04 WJ Grand Cherokee w/ the 4.7L HO engine (an engine not particularly known for long life), and it's been on Mobil 1 since I got it. 126k hard miles (a lot of off-roading) and it's still going strong.