• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 MKS

Started by TSS, May 08, 2017, 11:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

I would focus on the powertrain mods first, but that's me.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TSS

Quote from: pmezo33 on May 10, 2017, 02:31:01 PM
I've always had success with Meguiars ultimate line.  Very affordable and easy to find.  I power wash, two bucket, and microfiber everything, and I still get swirls on the black car.  Not as bad as a car wash would screw it up, but they're still there after the winter and it's time to detail again.  I always say black cars are by far the best looking cars when clean, but that only last for about 5 minutes.

When I first buy a car and it needs something heavy duty, I hit it with some menzerna fg400 to really clean it up.  That stuff is powerful along with some quality pads and a porter cable 7424x.  For lighter duty / maintenance, I'll go with the meguiars ultimate line.  First compound and then the polish.  Sometimes i don't even bother with the compound and go straight to the polish depending on how the car looks.  Usually finish it with some wolfgang sealant.  That stuff works and it lasts.  Meguiars has a quick wax (it's actually a sealant) that you can buy by the gallon from their professional line.  It's a nice topper after a car wash while the
Car is gorgeous! 
Do you DD that car?  So I am guessing you get the dirt/spray on the side of your car from road grime, and if so how do you clean it thru the winter?  Does the wax treatement help it not collect much grime?  We get months and months of rain and my black SHO is 1/2 brown in a matter of weeks usually, leaving it that dirty is just not good for it.  I do not want to run her thru automated wash, but at the same time, not going to stand out in 40* rain washing her either.  Trying to find what others do to stay clean in winter...
[/quote]the update
Quote from: lamrith on May 10, 2017, 01:39:35 PM
Quote from: TSS on May 10, 2017, 11:31:36 AM
Well, as you know, black is the most difficult. My color is fairly easy. Not as easy as my other two vehicles which are white.

In any event, I have tried so many different products through the years, and I know everybody has their own loyalties and favorites. Currently, I use a clay bar on the areas I think I need it (plus the windsheild) , but not necessarily the entire car.  And my current choice of polish/way is a Griot's product.  It is a one step cleaner, polish, and paint sealant. Usually a product like that,  that tries to do too much at once,  fails. In this case though, it works for me. After a harsh Michigan winter, the water still beaded it up like it should and  the car came through the winter unscathed again.

I used to use Zaino products...... A multistep process.... I would use their all in one cleaner/wax followed by their Z2 show polish followed by their clear seal.. Honestly, the Griot's is less expensive, and way faster for me.   I do the full detailing in November before the winter and then in May before the summer. In between, I wash the car every week either at a no touch drive-through carwash, or a local drive-through hand wash place we are lucky enough to have.   

Again, everybody has their loyalties and if you ask each person on this forum, they will probably tell you why they think their  products are the best. I just know what works for me. If I had a black car, I might do a little more work (like my former Zaino 3 step regimine).

I
Car is gorgeous! 
Do you DD that car?  So I am guessing you get the dirt/spray on the side of your car from road grime, and if so how do you clean it thru the winter?  Does the wax treatement help it not collect much grime?  We get months and months of rain and my black SHO is 1/2 brown in a matter of weeks usually, leaving it that dirty is just not good for it.  I do not want to run her thru automated wash, but at the same time, not going to stand out in 40* rain washing her either.  Trying to find what others do to stay clean in winter...

Thanks. Yes it is my daily driver. But on weekends or trips in yucky weather, we usually take the Enclave.  I have never ever gone through a regular automated car wash in it.  I don't want anything at all touching my cars except a  live person with a clean sponge. So when I go through the automated touchless car wash, it cleans off the car but it definitely doesn't look perfect. It's fine for the winter because it only stays clean for a day at most anyway...... and it includes an underbody wash . The other car wash I was talking about is also a drive-through car wash but it's a hand wash and dry, which is actually owned by a friend of mine. It's a pretty incredible setup. You pull in and you can either stay in your car or wait in the waiting room, and in about 15 minutes, your car is all hand washed and hand dried. That's what I do throughout the summer at least once a week and try to do at least twice a month in the winter for a more thorough cleaning than the Touchless Car Wash.

Honestly, I can't stand  washing and drying my car anymore. Even when I'm going to wax it, I know the guys at the hand wash tunnel drive through, and I tell them I'm going to be waxing it so they take extra time with it. I've been doing it that way for years with no ill effects on all of our vehicles. It is a thorough top to bottom hand wash done the right way with clean materials.   My car is arguably out of place with the Exotic cars (McLaren, AMG, Lambo, Ferrari, etc.) that are there. But they do it right and treat every car that comes through the tunnel wash the same way......even a 2010 MMS.

If I didn't have that quality reasonably priced hand wash option, I would hand wash myself. Still no way, anything other than a person with a clean sponge is touching my car. :-)
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

pmezo33

Maybe i'm just a nut.  I actually enjoy washing my car.  Love making that black car shine and know it's done right.  I'm kind of a detailing nut though.  I'm outside in the northeast winter with my power washer.  My neighbors think i'm out of my mind.

TSS

Quote from: pmezo33 on May 10, 2017, 10:47:22 PM
Maybe i'm just a nut.  I actually enjoy washing my car.  Love making that black car shine and know it's done right.  I'm kind of a detailing nut though.  I'm outside in the northeast winter with my power washer.  My neighbors think i'm out of my mind.

Oh trust me, I used do enjoy it a lot. I still love detailing the car and waxing and keeping it looking nice. The actual washing and drying though has just become a tedious task for me. Especially the drying for some reason. I'm not sure how old you are, but as you approach 50, you may find yourself tiring of it or other things that you've been doing for more than three decades. I also helped put myself through school detailing cars, among other things, so maybe I burned out quicker than someone else would on the washing. :-)  I still love doing my own lawn and yard work and stuff around the house and cleaning. So, it's not the labor itself that bothers me, it's just become one of those things I don't like to do anymore.

In my spare time that I'm saving by not washing the car myself, I'm learning how to use the collage feature on my phone. So here it is. LOL

2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

Brucelinc

I love the way Todd has kept his MKS looking great.  I got top dollar for mine because it was immaculate.  However, getting top dollar when selling has never been my motivation.  I just like having an immaculate vehicle.

My MKS never saw the inside of a car wash.  I washed it by hand in the driveway even in the winter.   Neighbors probably think I am crazy.  Like Todd, drying the car has always been the part I like least.   I now use an electric leaf blower to blow most of the water off prior to the drying process and that helps a lot.

TSS

^^Like you, my motivation is not at all related to any kind of trade in or future sale value. I just like having a clean ride!

If we didn't have the amazing drive-through tunnel hand wash close by at a reasonable price, I would still be like you guys, in the driveway in the middle of winter, washing my car.

pmezo33

I don't mind drying the car at all - i actually kind of enjoy it.  What do you guys use to dry it?  They make these super absorbent waffle drying towels that make it really easy to dry the car now.  Fast, efficient, and safe for the paint.  One or two of those towels and the car is completely dry.  No streaking or anything and you just wash them and use them again.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-X2000-Magnet-Microfiber-Drying/dp/B0009IQZFM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494512507&sr=8-3&keywords=drying+towel

Really the only part of the process that i don't enjoy is cleaning the wheels.  Not a fan of cleaning brake dust at all.

Brucelinc

I just ordered one of the X2000 drying towels to give it a try.  I have been using a Chamois that a MAC tool salesman gave me years ago when I worked at a Ford Dealership.  It is ragged and has holes in it but still works better than any new product that I have ever used.   However, it is worn out so I will try something else.  I have tried the Absorber and and a blade but don't like either one.

My biggest issue with drying is that by the time I get finished, some areas have dried and developed water spots.  The electric leaf blower has helped eliminate that since it blows the much of the water off before I begin the final drying process so I can get the job done more quickly.

TSS

RE cleaning the 10 spoke 20 inch MKS rims....I have the Permachromes , so they are simple to keep clean. I just use water in a spray bottle and a soft terrycloth and my finger to get in between and clean all the spokes. Before the Perms, it wasn't that easy.

Another trick I have used is to take a wooden paint stirrer, the kind they give out for free at the paint store, wrap a clean terrycloth around that, and use that instead of my finger to get in the very tight grooves or in the corners/crevices of the spokes.

pmezo33

Quote from: Brucelinc on May 11, 2017, 11:12:57 AM
I just ordered one of the X2000 drying towels to give it a try.  I have been using a Chamois that a MAC tool salesman gave me years ago when I worked at a Ford Dealership.  It is ragged and has holes in it but still works better than any new product that I have ever used.   However, it is worn out so I will try something else.  I have tried the Absorber and and a blade but don't like either one.

My biggest issue with drying is that by the time I get finished, some areas have dried and developed water spots.  The electric leaf blower has helped eliminate that since it blows the much of the water off before I begin the final drying process so I can get the job done more quickly.

You'll like the waffle towel.  It sucks up and holds a ton of water, so it makes drying really easy.  I usually use two of them when drying, but you can always ring it out if it gets too wet to dry.  Throw it in the washer/dryer or just the dryer when you're done with it and it's good to go for the next wash.  They hold up for years.

I like to clean the car when the sun is either coming up or going down and not beaming on the car.  The hot sun on the car is what gives those annoying water spots before you're able to dry it.  If the sun gets to a panel before i'm able to dry it, i just hit it with the hose or power washer again and then dry it.  That gets rid of the water marks.

I also like to spray down with this after drying and microfiber towel when dry.  This definitely will get rid of any water marks and will also protect.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-xpress-spray-wax.html

pmezo33

Quote from: TSS on May 11, 2017, 11:17:55 AM
RE cleaning the 10 spoke 20 inch MKS rims....I have the Permachromes , so they are simple to keep clean. I just use water in a spray bottle and a soft terrycloth and my finger to get in between and clean all the spokes. Before the Perms, it wasn't that easy.

Another trick I have used is to take a wooden paint stirrer, the kind they give out for free at the paint store, wrap a clean terrycloth around that, and use that instead of my finger to get in the very tight grooves or in the corners/crevices of the spokes.

I've heard really good things about this product.  Been meaning to order it and give it a shot.  Not cheap, but it's supposed to be great with wheels.

http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html