• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2014 Explorer Sport - lessons learned on brakes

Started by shumax, April 30, 2017, 01:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shumax

So, I had all four rotors and pads replaced recently on a 2014 Explorer Sport with 74k on it.  Instantly, I had squeaking issues in the front.  I let them "mate" for about 1,000 miles, but it got worse.  I pulled the fronts and cleaned the slider pins and then put brake quiet lube on the pads by the shims and on the slots where the pads mate to the calipers.  Squeaking gone.  From there, I was getting a grunt/groan when slowing from 20mph-0mph - like at a stop sign.  Sounds like when you INCH forward at a light. 

Reading around on the net more, I realized I never really mated these pads into the new rotors.  So, I went on a back country road with the setup warm, but not hot.  Went from 45mph-10mph coast (never stop fully) 6-8 times with moderate force on the pedal.  From there, about 4-6 runs from 60mph down to 10mph with as much force as I could apply without locking the tires up.  I then ran the car without application of the brakes for about 15min to cool things down. 

Took the car back out 2 hours later and that GROAN seems to be gone.  I think the pads just needed to mate with the rotors and we're vibrating in the mount ever so slightly when I got to those speeds.

A lesson learned to me as I have not dealt with brakes being replaced in 4-5 years and forgot about this step.  Thought I would share with others' that may run into the same.

Shumax