• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

General G-max a/s-03 discontinued

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, April 27, 2017, 11:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

I know there's at least a few of us running these tires so figured a heads up was in order. General has stopped making the G-Max AS-03 in lieu of an updated G-max as-05 set for release May 1st.
http://tirereviewsandmore.com/general-g-max-as-05-reviews/

Just hope you don't find yourself in my situation and need to replace one of your existing AS-03's.

After less than 2 months of having them on the car one of my tires suffered a nail puncture that was close enough to the sidewall to render it unrepairable. Luckily i had the tire protection plan on the tires so just get a new tire right? . . Wrong. The service writer at Big O informed me the tire was on national back order so they were forced to patch and plug the tire until they could source a new one. I had a suspicion that the tire was disco'd so i emailed General and they confirmed that they G-Max AS-03 was no longer being made.

So i'm stuck with 3 good tires and the 4th was no where to be found. No local stores,no vendors online, not Ebay not Amazon .  .no one.(WTF! did i get the last 4 in the nation or what?) After discussing the issue with the Big O manager he eventually referred me to the district manager who tried to tell me they would warranty 1 new tire of a different brand they had in stock and i'd have to buy the other 3 to complete the set. I had some unkind words for him. He eventually offered to provide 2 new sumitomo tires and i could run 2 different brand tires on the car or buy the other 2 Sumitomo's. I still wasn't satisfied so i decided to contact Continental/General to see if they would be able to track down a single G-Max 03. . . and i'm glad i did.

The sales lady who took my call was the same person who had responded to my email about the G-max being discontinued and even recalled my name. After a short discussion she explained that if Big O provided a damage inspection report on the tire that General would supply 2 of the new G-max AS-05 tires free of charge so at least the axle would have matching tires. She also explained that even with an AWD car the differences in the 03 vs. 05 version of the tires would behave nearly identical on the car and would be a suitable tire combo.

Needless to say i was damn happy i made that phone call and very impressed with General Tires customer service and willingness to work with me. They could've just as easily told me to get lost.
I'm also looking forward to speaking to Big O's district manager again so i can let him know he owe's me a big fat thank you for doing the leg work in getting my own tires replaced instead of letting him rip me off.  :evil1:

11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

FearlessAZ

Way to to take action! Happy it all worked out.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

derfdog15

Glad it worked out for ya. I have gotten used tires from Big O, but never new. I do know that they tried to charge me almost $70 for an oil change on my SHO, and also tried to tell me that the car used 5w-20 (for a 2015).
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: FearlessAZ on April 28, 2017, 09:38:41 AM
Sometimes you gotta take matters into your own hands.
Deal isn't sealed yet though. Have to stay on Big O to make sure they keep up communication with General which they have no reason not to as they're getting free tires and bailing their asses out with me. Generally, i've had good experiences with Big O and this is a bit of a unique situation . . but when a company tries to take advantage of a customer rather than go out of their way to help. . . my gloves come off.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

lamrith

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 28, 2017, 03:16:31 PM
Deal isn't sealed yet though. Have to stay on Big O to make sure they keep up communication with General which they have no reason not to as they're getting free tires and bailing their asses out with me. Generally, i've had good experiences with Big O and this is a bit of a unique situation . . but when a company tries to take advantage of a customer rather than go out of their way to help. . . my gloves come off.
Yeah way to stay on it.  As a last ditch option maybe follow up with General and inquire about another shop and mention how BigO is shafting you...?  Mfg like to have good dealers carrying their product, and bad review/treatment getting to Corporate can often get things done...
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: lamrith on April 28, 2017, 03:27:24 PM
Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 28, 2017, 03:16:31 PM
Yeah way to stay on it.  As a last ditch option maybe follow up with General and inquire about another shop and mention how BigO is shafting you...?  Mfg like to have good dealers carrying their product, and bad review/treatment getting to Corporate can often get things done...
i've been dealing with 2 different big o stores regarding the matter and they both stuck to the same resolution first proposing they credit me for one tire in buying a new set and ultimately telling me they would cover me for 2 tires of a totally different brand and i could buy the other 2 or run it with the 2 different sets. if General won't approve to provide the newer style g-max tires i'll continue to battle it out with big o. ultimately they put themselves in a liability issue with telling me the tire was not repairable but patching it and then sending me out on the road so I am prepared to lean back on that if I have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

avidmotion

Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: avidmotion on April 03, 2018, 05:39:31 PM
Resolution?
Yes Big o warrantied the one tire and general provided me with the other free of charge so i'm currently running with a pair of g-max 03's and a pair of g-max 05's. . . which has been fine. I can actually feel that the 05's marked some improvement in road noise and grip.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

avidmotion

Awesome.....I am really interested in the NEW GMAX RS summer gmax tire....135 shipped 360 AA A, read article had great things to say...now trying to talk myself into the 275 40 20 vs 245/255 45 20.....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

mjhpadi

Glad it worked out for you. I tried that with Michelin and they totally blew me off...will never purchase another Michelin product!  As for the 03, I am very pleased with my Gernerals and will consider the new 05.  Mine only have about 15K miles on them, but I would be willing to sell them and purchase new tires. 
But I do like the General G-Max 03, but when I purchased I was wanting Firestone tires but they were out of stock nationally so the Generals were my second choice.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

SHOdded

The Ovals seem to have gathered a fan following.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!