• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

OBX downpipes available for 10+ SHO

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, April 25, 2017, 02:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svt54

OK guys. I installed these on my son's 13' SHO. Overall they aren't bad for the money. The gaskets that come with them are junk. Either reuse yours, or buy new metal gaskets. Here are pics before they were installed.

Here are the installed pics. The upper O2 bung on the rear pipe is clocked wrong, but doesn't cause any issues. This pic is through the passenger fender well. The stock pipes the O2 was pointing toward the firewall.

On the front pipe, the lower O2 was clocked wrong. The stock pipes have the O2 exit to the passenger side. On these it exits driver side. The wire wouldn't reach the connector. I had to pull a locator where the O2's connector is located on the AC compressor. It works for now. I think I am going to get a low band O2 for a Focus or Escape that has a longer wire on it. This pic is kind of dark, but you can see the O2.

The biggest issue to me was that the two pipes actually meet and touch around the rear motor mount. I thought about heating and slightly denting one of them to remedy this, but they don't rattle or anything else so I haven't done anything with it yet.

Overall, I am ok with them. I wish the two pipes didn't touch and that the lower O2 on the front pipe had been clocked right. Not bad for saving $200 though.
2010 Flex Ecoboost - Tuned by Torrie / 3 bar MAP / NGK plugs / EPP hard pipes w/ Tial BOV / Megan Coilovers
2015 Flex non EB - the wife's

Agentlongwood

Is it just the angle in the pictures or do they hang WAAYY low?  Curious if it causes any clearance issues on speed bumps and such. 
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

sholxgt

I see that also.  They seem to move downward after the first big bend and then bend back up to meet with the factory exhaust. Not sure why?

My PPE pipes decrease ground clearance and rub on the undertray due to their larger diameter, but they tuck up tightly.  I wish they weren't touching/melting the undertray, but I don't know if that's avoidable with their increased diameter.  Took a few miles, but they have "clearanced" the undertray.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

ZSHO

It's sounds all to familiar to the Stage 3 DP which the bung was mounted on the wrong side,especially being a wide - band 02 sensor.
There is an 02 sensor extension which might work.
I think SBS had one I believe. Z
Best of luck and hope everything works out in your favor.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6503.msg118040.html#msg118040

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: svt54 on July 26, 2017, 07:05:14 PM
OK guys. I installed these on my son's 13' SHO. Overall they aren't bad for the money. The gaskets that come with them are junk. Either reuse yours, or buy new metal gaskets. Here are pics before they were installed.

Here are the installed pics. The upper O2 bung on the rear pipe is clocked wrong, but doesn't cause any issues. This pic is through the passenger fender well. The stock pipes the O2 was pointing toward the firewall.

On the front pipe, the lower O2 was clocked wrong. The stock pipes have the O2 exit to the passenger side. On these it exits driver side. The wire wouldn't reach the connector. I had to pull a locator where the O2's connector is located on the AC compressor. It works for now. I think I am going to get a low band O2 for a Focus or Escape that has a longer wire on it. This pic is kind of dark, but you can see the O2.

The biggest issue to me was that the two pipes actually meet and touch around the rear motor mount. I thought about heating and slightly denting one of them to remedy this, but they don't rattle or anything else so I haven't done anything with it yet.

Overall, I am ok with them. I wish the two pipes didn't touch and that the lower O2 on the front pipe had been clocked right. Not bad for saving $200 though.
thanks for updating the thread SVT 54! overall that's what I would expect from OBX . . functional but far from perfect. they usually just copy an existing aftermarket option already in production but fall short in some way. other than the fitment issues the material and welds seem pretty quality though.

not that I would expect much to come of it, but for betterment of the platform I would suggest sending your feedback and pictures to OBX in hopes they can revise their product to fix some of the issues for future buyers.
i wouldn't hesitate to pound in the pipes where they touch to get some extra clearance.

and please do update with any info in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

FiveLeeter918

thanks for the update! They actually look pretty good. The bump on the bottom is kinda weird, but could've been for something the test car had installed or something (there may be a clearance item in the Interceptor or something). The only think that worries me is the O2 sensor placement being a different angle from OEM. This could cause skewed readings, and possible puddling of Ethanol fuels.

Who are you tuned by? Have you requested a revision?
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

NITSOOB

the 2nd o2 is for emissions.

Regarding the wiring not reaching the o2 bung, you can probably use an o2 bung spacer/cel eliminator. They are about 2-3 inches long and may help shorten the distance you need.

2013 PP SHO - 3.5" DPs, 3.5" Exhaust, 3" Coldside
Pending: 5-Blade billet wheel, AJP Tune
1/8: 8.4@86

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: NITSOOB on July 27, 2017, 01:40:41 PM
the 2nd o2 is for emissions.

Regarding the wiring not reaching the o2 bung, you can probably use an o2 bung spacer/cel eliminator. They are about 2-3 inches long and may help shorten the distance you need.

Good catch! I didn't even realize this downpipe retains the post-cat set of O2 sensors
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

GIGANTORE

My OBX catless DPs got here today. Once I get the tune back from LMS I'll do the install. Hope it's not too loud with my resonator delete and stock cat back

SHOdded

Good luck, looking forward to the results!!!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

gtmorgan23

2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

GIGANTORE

Going to attempt install this weekend. I'll try to get pics and details.

avidmotion

Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.