• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil smell & smoke between engine and firewall

Started by PopolZ, April 11, 2017, 11:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopolZ

Did a bit of reading and beside maybe the valve cover and most likely the seals of the oil lines feeding the turbo, anything else can cause it?
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, non-PP, Steel Blue #243 of 301 - Custom tune by Torrie@Unleashed, PPE non-catted downpipes, custom 3rd cat & resonator delete, water/meth injection, HKS SSQV3 BOV and Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

1991 Nissan Skyline GTR, Pearl Black Metallic - a few goodies

SHOdded

Cracked turbo piping would be another possibility.  Has usually been up front, but starting to hear of cases in the rear also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

Also check the rear seal on the PTU as mine was leaking and caused the same smell.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

PopolZ

thanks guys. I'll roll that thing up the ramps and take a look at it next week.
just to be on the safe side I'll roll in a rental for my trip out of town this weekend.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, non-PP, Steel Blue #243 of 301 - Custom tune by Torrie@Unleashed, PPE non-catted downpipes, custom 3rd cat & resonator delete, water/meth injection, HKS SSQV3 BOV and Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

PopolZ

Well as far as I can see it's coming from behind the heatshield between the turbo and firewall on the passenger side.

edit: doesn't have the smell of engine oil..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7iGOSP9BPBlYTNMMldCQlpGbEE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7iGOSP9BPBlOUNTamlGUHI1a0U

lamrith

Quote from: PopolZ on April 17, 2017, 03:52:22 PM
Well as far as I can see it's coming from behind the heatshield between the turbo and firewall on the passenger side.

edit: doesn't have the smell of engine oil..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7iGOSP9BPBlYTNMMldCQlpGbEE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7iGOSP9BPBlOUNTamlGUHI1a0U
Is there oil above that heat-shield or does it start right there at that boot in your second picture?  That boot under the heatshield is your steering rack, looks like it might be dripping/splattering on the exh which would stink and smoke...
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

PopolZ

Got my car up on a lift today... this time the oil was fresh and smelled like engine oil and it is indeed the oil feed line leaking.

SHOdded

Always the fun end of things going bad.  Glad you found the leak.