• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Battery charge?

Started by Gjkrisa, April 24, 2017, 02:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gjkrisa

Hi how long have you not driven your Taurus and still had charged battery
My car can go about a week after that most likely will not start from low battery.
Thinking of adding a yellow top to at least not worry about to much wear on the battery although after one year levels are still good and the plates are still clean and use a smart trickle charger in the winter and will continue thru the summer as  well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

ZSHO

It's my DD So 365 days a year IIRC. LOL.Z
I actually read somewhere that there is a threshold of two weeks and anything longer than that the ground on battery should be removed.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

scoles92

mine drains it after a couple weeks of no use. mine sits a lot so its kinda annoying haha
2011 ford Taurus SHO PP  unleashed tunes, 3 bar, plugs,K&N intake, stage 3 water meth.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: scoles92 on April 24, 2017, 09:42:33 AM
mine drains it after a couple weeks of no use. mine sits a lot so its kinda annoying haha

Mine sits in he garage a lot... I can go a couple weeks no problem... Motorcraft battery.

Gjkrisa

Yes having to worry about the battery after a few days when the car was brand new was very annoying all I had in the car was 2 blackvue dash cams now that I've taken the rear out seems I get a couple more days Which in that time usually drive the car some more.

I've read just having the key fob near the car can wake up some of the electronics often so also may be the issue as I've moved and not so close to the car all the time.

After 3 days my ctek battery meter says battery at 71% which just after the first day of sitting gets from 80 to 70 from a full charge.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Gjkrisa on April 24, 2017, 09:53:15 AM
Yes having to worry about the battery after a few days when the car was brand new was very annoying all I had in the car was 2 blackvue dash cams now that I've taken the rear out seems I get a couple more days Which in that time usually drive the car some more.

I've read just having the key fob near the car can wake up some of the electronics often so also may be the issue as I've moved and not so close to the car all the time.

After 3 days my ctek battery meter says battery at 71% which just after the first day of sitting gets from 80 to 70 from a full charge.

Hmmmm... dunno about the key fob thing... I literally keep my key fob in the key fob holder in the center console ALL the time.. never comes out... but mine is a 2010...

Gjkrisa

Quote from: StealBlueSho on April 24, 2017, 09:54:53 AM
Quote from: Gjkrisa on April 24, 2017, 09:53:15 AM

Hmmmm... dunno about the key fob thing... I literally keep my key fob in the key fob holder in the center console ALL the time.. never comes out... but mine is a 2010...
Maybe being in the holder it won't cycle since it knows where the key is already instead of varying signal strength? Also year could be effect.

Gjkrisa

First time battery has charged its self without using the trickle although not fully

StealBlueSho

Maybe time for a new battery, might as well have them check the alternator as well.

Gjkrisa

I think ambient temp has had alot to do with the battery. At least last oil change Ford looked at it and said everything was working good that the alternator was putting out 650amp but it's worth a second opinion in person . Be odd to have a shitty battery or alternator from the factory as I ordered the car.

SHOdded

Whoa, 650 amp alternator?  Give me one o those!  But yes, ambient temps affect battery charge/rate.  That's why on my NICO charger they have a setting for "normal" and a setting for "cold weather" charging.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on April 25, 2017, 10:16:53 AM
Whoa, 650 amp alternator?  Give me one o those!  But yes, ambient temps affect battery charge/rate.  That's why on my NICO charger they have a setting for "normal" and a setting for "cold weather" charging.
X2 only have a 220 Amp on mine. LOL.
I do have a Motorcraft 850 Battery though. Z   ;)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

lamrith

Your fob being just at edge of range or going in/out of range are what will wake the car up. 

Other than when you are using the vehicle I would not keep the fob in the car or right next to it (hanging by garage door etc)  If it is close enough to sense then everytime you go by car it could be waking up systems thinking you are going to use the car..?  Just a thought of something to try and see if it helps.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Gjkrisa

Quote from: SHOdded on April 25, 2017, 10:16:53 AM
That's at least what the service guy tries to say but I guess it's just what the battery is rated for not the alternator.

Looking at the alternator it probably barley produces 350 amps

Gjkrisa

So I finally managed to get the modules reset by putting the car in inop mode using forscan the next day still had a very high battery draw but then the second day the draw was gone and had since not come back battery at 100% next morning. Did find out from Ford that the modules are supposed to shut off in 40minutes with everything closed doesn't matter how close the keys are not if the doors are locked or not.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk