• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Powerstop and 2013 SHO

Started by SHODRVR, April 18, 2017, 06:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malfuncion

Quote from: Bronco2fan on March 23, 2018, 02:17:18 PM
Have you tried here? You may have to piece it together but this is the product.  https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,brake+&+wheel+hub,brake+pad,1684
I looked at them for the kit + the pads, obviously it was more expensive. I didn't think about putting my own kit together. The only bad thing about RA is they want to charge me $50 for shipping, but they do have a $30 rebate (not sure if its on the kit only though)

Bronco2fan

Well you may just have to order it from Amazon or someone and wait for it to be in stock. It's a popular kit. But if you need it badly, piece it.

Good luck with it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

malfuncion

Well, I was able to get the setup ordered from RockAuto for less than what a kit costs. I ordered the TopCop pads front and back and then the drilled/slotted rotors for ~$350 shipped. The "performance kit" is ~$400, so this worked out much better. Here's the part list for those interested:

• POWER STOP Z371611 Z37 Top Cop Severe Duty; Includes hardware & brake lube Info - $41.89
  • POWER STOP Z371612 Z37 Top Cop Severe Duty; Includes hardware & brake lube Info - $34.79
  • POWER STOP AR85142XPR Extreme Performance Drilled and Slotted (REAR x2) - $109.98
  • POWER STOP AR85141XPR Extreme Performance Drilled and Slotted  (FRONT x2) - $131.58
  • Shipping - $31.97
First brake job done on the car, which is a 2013 and ~45k on the odo. Let me tell you about how much I love loctite and rust.

After I found a break bar that was worthy and bought me a t40 torx for the rotor bolt, I went to town. Front driver was first up, easy once I got a break bar to get the caliper bolts off. I did have to use a sledge instead of my rubber mallet on all rotors to get them off. My neighbors LOVE me. The rear driver same story as far as PITA level, although instead of the C clamp for compressing the calipers I had to use the caliper tool that twists/compresses for the ebrake to get the caliper pistons backed in. Tool was rented it form Votozone, no big deal.

The time that gave me fits and turned this in to a two day ordeal with the passenger rear. Got it all taken apart, went to do the torx... stripped on me. Everything I tried, couldn't get the SOB out. It was getting dark, left it for the weekend as we had to take a road trip for a volleyball tournament 3 hours away at 5AM. Came back to it Monday with a drill, a couple sharp bits and drilled it out. Rest of the job was a breeze though.

Did my bedding on them just a little bit ago, I think I'll like them. I did notice a new issue though, unrelated to the brakes. The passenger side toe link bushing looks to be shot. Wondering if this is the cause of a new popping noise I hear when I take a turn or pull in the drive way. It seems to have started after getting my car aligned... coincidence? IDK..

Anyway, here's pics.

Bronco2fan

Looks good, I really like how the rotors look in the rims. Sorry it took you so long to get the package and install. I think mine was like 2 hours, so I feel lucky now. Anyhow, she looks sharp. Now you need black calibers lol.
2019 Mustang GT, Velocity Blue 5.0 PP, 2015 Audi Q7 TFSI Quattro. 2013 Ruby Red Metallic, PP.  06 F150 Harley-Davidson Edition, 03 Mustang GT Conv, 84 Bronco II, and my 97 Jeep GC Laredo 5.2.

SilvererSHO

Quote from: malfuncion on April 03, 2018, 04:45:20 PM
Well, I was able to get the setup ordered from RockAuto for less than what a kit costs. I ordered the TopCop pads front and back and then the drilled/slotted rotors for ~$350 shipped. The "performance kit" is ~$400, so this worked out much better. Here's the part list for those interested:

• POWER STOP Z371611 Z37 Top Cop Severe Duty; Includes hardware & brake lube Info - $41.89
  • POWER STOP Z371612 Z37 Top Cop Severe Duty; Includes hardware & brake lube Info - $34.79
  • POWER STOP AR85142XPR Extreme Performance Drilled and Slotted (REAR x2) - $109.98
  • POWER STOP AR85141XPR Extreme Performance Drilled and Slotted  (FRONT x2) - $131.58
  • Shipping - $31.97
First brake job done on the car, which is a 2013 and ~45k on the odo. Let me tell you about how much I love loctite and rust.

After I found a break bar that was worthy and bought me a t40 torx for the rotor bolt, I went to town. Front driver was first up, easy once I got a break bar to get the caliper bolts off. I did have to use a sledge instead of my rubber mallet on all rotors to get them off. My neighbors LOVE me. The rear driver same story as far as PITA level, although instead of the C clamp for compressing the calipers I had to use the caliper tool that twists/compresses for the ebrake to get the caliper pistons backed in. Tool was rented it form Votozone, no big deal.

The time that gave me fits and turned this in to a two day ordeal with the passenger rear. Got it all taken apart, went to do the torx... stripped on me. Everything I tried, couldn't get the SOB out. It was getting dark, left it for the weekend as we had to take a road trip for a volleyball tournament 3 hours away at 5AM. Came back to it Monday with a drill, a couple sharp bits and drilled it out. Rest of the job was a breeze though.

Did my bedding on them just a little bit ago, I think I'll like them. I did notice a new issue though, unrelated to the brakes. The passenger side toe link bushing looks to be shot. Wondering if this is the cause of a new popping noise I hear when I take a turn or pull in the drive way. It seems to have started after getting my car aligned... coincidence? IDK..

Anyway, here's pics.

FWIW, I've always had better luck using whatever standard or metric hex that fit's in a torx fastener than a torx bit itself.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

malfuncion

Quote from: Bronco2fan on April 03, 2018, 05:40:32 PM
Looks good, I really like how the rotors look in the rims. Sorry it took you so long to get the package and install. I think mine was like 2 hours, so I feel lucky now. Anyhow, she looks sharp. Now you need black calibers lol.
Thanks. Definitely the longest brake job I've ever had to do and positively the most painful. I think it was total of about 6 hours or so taking my time dealing with cranky bolts with loctite, PB Blaster and letting it sit on rust bits, then eventually giving up on PB and sledging the old rotors off. The rotor bolts didn't give me any issues except that one rear passenger, otherwise they were all super easy to get off.

I'd planned on painting the calipers while they were off, however that went out the window after I was dealing with it for 4 hours. I thought about getting some of those covers, just hard to justify the $200+ for looks when I could take a day and paint them. The covers do look slick though...

Oh and also just as an FYI for those curious, the top cop performance package was discontinued. If you want that combo you HAVE to order it separate or hope you can find someone who has a listing still up and will honor it. Even the Amazon package is listed as out of stock now.