• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Any issues running methanol injection on a non tuned car?

Started by 6500rpm, January 15, 2017, 03:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpd1151

Cool cool......

Glad to see as a "new owner" that you're receptive to addt'l info, and/or potential mods therein.

As others have stated, really would be doing yourself a disservice by not taking advantage of a tune when running Meth. Regardless of which vendor you ultimately choose.

But for sake of your original query, I see no harm in running it in the stock file.

Good luck in your quests.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

10bird

This post has confused me.  I have seen mostly positive posts on meth kits.  The only negatives I have see are leaky tanks or failed pump/controller.  Every comment I have seen about performance has been positive.  AJP seems to be implying the cars don't like meth and to avoid it.  Anyone care to clarify this?

derfdog15

Quote from: 10bird on February 02, 2017, 03:32:27 PM
This post has confused me.  I have seen mostly positive posts on meth kits.  The only negatives I have see are leaky tanks or failed pump/controller.  Every comment I have seen about performance has been positive.  AJP seems to be implying the cars don't like meth and to avoid it.  Anyone care to clarify this?

AJP is not saying the cars run bad with methed, but that they run bad with meth, UNTUNED. Even tuned, the way methanol is injected the fuel system drastically adapts, and can not adapt more due to the increased fuel volume, which is why the tune needs to be spot on, and why he is adamant about not running meth without a proper tune.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

AJP turbo

Dont have time for a long post but basically, the cars make power but the datalogs look like garbage and would show a car with a poor fuel curve...the only reason it works well enough is because the ecu is making HUGE corrections to fuel

Even when tuned for meth people still talk about drivability symptoms.....the fuel could be corrected better in the tune but few people know how and instead they just let the ecu try to control it
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

I guess after reading the two above posts i'm also a bit confused.  Z  ???

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

derfdog15

Quote from: ZSHO on February 02, 2017, 04:01:38 PM
I guess after reading the two above posts i'm also a bit confused.  Z  ???

If I am understanding correctly,

Non tuned the car makes MAJOR fuel adjustments, to the point that it is maxed out on adjustment, when you are spraying METH. Tuned, if not properly tuned with regards to the fuel curve, the same may be true. The fuel curve needs to be precisely dialed in for the meth otherwise the car will still make major adjustments, that may lead to drive-ability symptoms.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

SHOdded

Basically, the tune (OEM or aftermarket) is adjustable, but not infinitely adjustable.  Every fuel has its own stoichiometry.  If you add a very small amount of a second fuel to your primary fuel, the PCM can accommodate, using the A/F sensors.  Note the simple case of adding HEET to the fuel tank.  Same basic idea.

But at some point, if you mix in enough of that second fuel, the PCM will be stymied with regards to what to do with this new mix.  And this is true whether or not the tune is provided by Ford or by a tuner.  In fact, once the car is tuned, the flexibility that the PCM had with the stock tune is gone, you have greatly narrowed the operating parameters.  That is the whole purpose of tuning, to gain greater power with greater responsiveness and greater efficiency.

So, you COULD spray a very small amount of methanol with no adverse effects while untuned, but whether it would be beneficial and to what extent, IDK.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BoostedSho2010

Been running snow 100% on stage 2 kit for 4 monthes and 20+ gallons threw it with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Quote from: BoostedSho2010 on April 15, 2017, 06:55:00 PM
Been running snow 100% on stage 2 kit for 4 monthes and 20+ gallons threw it with zero issues.
on a TUNED car, tho :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

On a non tuned car, you obviously have plenty of fuel since you are running the stock load. Methanol would NOT be needed to supplement a stock tune...

HOWEVER... there would be benefit from perhaps a small amount of spray... to cool the charge and clean the intake valves. The widebands would be able compensate for the additional methanol if you are running a 50/50 mix of water/meth I would think.

It's not a terrible idea... you would just need something like a SCTx4 to monitor IATs and your WIdebands... and also to decide when you want to spray.. at which psi...

I actually like the idea...