• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Boost flutter

Started by DSMtuned, April 13, 2017, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

Quote from: SHOdded on April 21, 2017, 09:33:30 AM
Quote from: AJP turbo on April 21, 2017, 08:41:51 AM
Would you like to try a test tune?
Do it do it do it
C'mon man try it, everyone is doing it....  hahahaaaa  1st sample is free...:smoke:  local neighborhood tune dealer slingin the goods!!

'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

FoMoCoSHO

Ah, the digital power pimp hard at work, lol.....

Colorado-SHOBro

When this is offered you better take the bait! take if from someone who has his tune at your exact altitude! He can work through the issues and get your car running right withing a couple revisions if not less. I may have been one of the test products and i'm damn happy with the results.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

DSMtuned

Quote from: AJP turbo on April 21, 2017, 08:23:36 AM
I fear you are now starting to throw money at parts without proper justification....i thought you posted a log where desired tip is fluctuating....if thats the case then its likely not a hardware problem....something is telling the hardware to act a certain way

Yeah I did throw a wastegate solenoid at it because I found one for $15.  I can't find a copy of the PC/ED so I didn't have the test procedure for the solenoid. 

I'm getting frustrated with the lack of communication from the reputable tuner.
2012 F-150 Ecoboost.  SCT Livewire TS+, 5 Star Tunes, Full Race catted downpipe, UPR catch can, Wagner Intercooler.  Uncorrected 6000' above sea level 294 WHP & 449WTQ, before the downpipe and the intercooler.

DSMtuned

Yeah I'd be happy to try one of your tunes!  I'm pulling my trailer across Colorado in a couple weeks and I'm worried my truck won't pull it.
2012 F-150 Ecoboost.  SCT Livewire TS+, 5 Star Tunes, Full Race catted downpipe, UPR catch can, Wagner Intercooler.  Uncorrected 6000' above sea level 294 WHP & 449WTQ, before the downpipe and the intercooler.

AJP turbo

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

DSMtuned

Quote from: ShoBoat on April 21, 2017, 09:38:48 AM
Curious, have you tried to return the truck to the stock tune and see if the issue persists?

I need to try this.  Honestly, I really dislike the factory calibration and have been less than excited to return to stock.   
My truck has been tuned since a week after I bought it.   :). With the downpipe I'll surely to get CELs on the stock tune.

AJP turbo

You really need to return to stock like mentioned by sho boat

Its really the first step in troubleshooting an issue with a tuned truck....you blindy already threw money at the truck already

You need to isolate and rule things out when possible and returning to stock achieves that
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

DSMtuned

Quote from: AJP turbo on April 22, 2017, 10:29:33 AM
You really need to return to stock like mentioned by sho boat

Its really the first step in troubleshooting an issue with a tuned truck....you blindy already threw money at the truck already

You need to isolate and rule things out when possible and returning to stock achieves that

Got it.  I'll do that today.

DSMtuned

UPDATE--  **FIXED**

AJP turbo was kind enough to build a test tune for me so I could rule out my tuner's calibration as an issue.  After loading his tune, I found the boost oscillation persisted.  This led me to believe the problem was mechanical. 

I had a feeling that the catch can check valves could be an issue because they are simple spring loaded flaps of rubber vs ball valves.  I took the check valves apart and found both to had failed, causing boost leaks! 

Next I built a boost leak tester.  I found a slit in the driver's side wastegate line under the clamp, where I missed it during inspection of the lines.  After fixing this and returning the PVC system to stock until I can get new check valves for the catch can, I took the truck out for a spin.

FIXED!!!!  Unbelievable!  I think it was coincidence that the boost fluctuation coincided with the downpipe install, or I worsened the wastegate line leak during the install. 

So I learned to not forget my roots of tuning DSMs and Subarus and go for a boost leak test right away instead of going down the road of more complicated problems.

Thank you all for brainstorming with me.  It's great to have a community like this to learn from.

SHOdded

Glad to know it wasnt the tune, and that persistence paid off!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Colorado-SHOBro

awesome glad it's fixed! what catch can setup do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

DSMtuned

It's the UPR dual valve with the clean side sperarator.  I called them today and they are sending me the updated check valves at a discount.

Ajpturbo initially pointed me toward the catch can.  I never would have thought of that.