• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Boost flutter

Started by DSMtuned, April 13, 2017, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSMtuned

Hmm.  Good info on how TIP works.  I didn't log it, but I will now.

I live at 6300' in Lakewood, CO,  but spend a lot of time going up and down the mountains over 10k'.

I thought the 2011 and 2012 F-150s had mechanical BOVs with electronic solenoid activation.  There's also a 3rd solenoid for the wastegates.  Regardless, the PCM has its hands in everything.

Any idea why the addition of a downpipe would make this so dramatic?
2012 F-150 Ecoboost.  SCT Livewire TS+, 5 Star Tunes, Full Race catted downpipe, UPR catch can, Wagner Intercooler.  Uncorrected 6000' above sea level 294 WHP & 449WTQ, before the downpipe and the intercooler.

Colorado-SHOBro

sweet! i'm in arvada but can often be caught cruising around in lakewood. keep your eye out for me!
anyhow, does this issue occur around town or only when you drive up in elevation? can't see the downpipes making any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

DSMtuned

Nice! I work for Arvada Fire and I'm actually on duty right now!

Yeah the flutter happens anytime I go 3/4 throttle in the lower RPMS, 2000-3000.  Keep in mind my truck makes full boost at around 2500RPMs.
2012 F-150 Ecoboost.  SCT Livewire TS+, 5 Star Tunes, Full Race catted downpipe, UPR catch can, Wagner Intercooler.  Uncorrected 6000' above sea level 294 WHP & 449WTQ, before the downpipe and the intercooler.

SHOdded

Wastegates are known to break springs and seals, but like AJ said it could all very well be the tune.  Or a combination.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

When you log add "Desired TIP" , not "TIP"....I would look at MAP anyway more than TIP.

If desired TIP is smooth but MAP is fluttering then you probably have a mechanical problem....If your desired tip is also oscillating then the tune is probably making it do that
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

DSMtuned

I was looking at the TIP boost vs TIP boost desired and the TIP boost is much higher and less smooth.  Previous logs show these as relatively close to each other. 

Would that indicate a mechanical overboosting situation?

AJP turbo

Tip will be all over the place especially if the tuner uses the throttle to help control boost like the oem

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

DSMtuned

Quote from: AJP turbo on April 17, 2017, 04:54:27 PM
Tip will be all over the place especially if the tuner uses the throttle to help control boost like the oem

Oh I see.

Well today I took the BOVs apart and checked for tears.  They're good to go.  I also checked for boost leaks by tightening clamps.  All the vacuum hoses look good. 

Reset the KAM and took it for a spin. No better.  Hmm.  Frustrating.  The new boost control and wastegate solenoids should be here in a couple days, so fingers crossed they help.

DSMtuned

Well it's definitely related to the wastegates. I don't know the cause yet. I'm thinking the tune is not compensating for the decreased backpressure. My tuner is going to look into it.

I almost burned up my GoPro case filming this...

https://youtu.be/xDEsR0Yk3OQ

AJP turbo

Shouldnt really have anything to do with back pressure.....i want to say your altitude has more to do with it....wastegates can do funny things if the tq is being commanded in a strange way ...its going to be really tough to figure out

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Im not sure you can accurately blame it on anything at this point until you data log what desired tip is doing when the issue occurs....if desired tip is occilating then its just doing what its supposed to

I have found that high altitudes require alternative methods for torque/boost delivery...the normal mehods are not always the best way

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

I fear you are now starting to throw money at parts without proper justification....i thought you posted a log where desired tip is fluctuating....if thats the case then its likely not a hardware problem....something is telling the hardware to act a certain way

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Would you like to try a test tune?

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Curious, have you tried to return the truck to the stock tune and see if the issue persists?
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.