• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Shaking highway speed - 60 70 + mph

Started by SHODRVR, April 24, 2017, 04:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHODRVR

I daily drive my 2013 Ford Taurus SHO and most of the time at highway speed. I have a shake shimmy that only shows it self while at highway speed mostly above 60 mph. My first thought must be the stock tires ....tires replaced still there ....took to Ford ....Ford did a Road Force Balance, Ford claimed it was fixed .....Nop still vibrating...I had a brake pedal vibration at high speed stopping or slowing down thought that could have been it so i replaced all 4 rotors and pads ...brake shake gone but not the overall vibration. Had a leaking PTU replaced ....still vibrating... Im at a loss, its really annoying especially since I spend most of my time at the speed in which it shows it self.  I have done a couple google searches on the issue and there are many Taurus owners who are complaining of the same issue but none of the posts ever seemed to have solved the issue. Some posts even explaining that Ford claims its a "Characteristic of the vehicle"....bullshit...something is wrong. Anyone had this issue or can offer insight in fixing. It has been plagueing me for a while.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO

SHOdded

Do you have the "daisy" wheels?  I would inspect them closely for warping and cracks.  Also many times mechanics will over-torque the lug nuts with their He-Man tools and brakes will be blamed for warping.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHODRVR

I thought maybe the wheels were an issue too. So three days ago while doing my all 4 brakes I inspected the wheels and suspension and nothing seems out of place or broken.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO

SHOdded

Best off having a pro look at them, a wheel repair specialty shop.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

I had a RDU (rear drive unit) issue years back that was causing a pulsing vibration. That had to use a nvh diagnostic tool to find it.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHODRVR

Quote from: glock-coma on April 24, 2017, 06:39:49 PM
I had a RDU (rear drive unit) issue years back that was causing a pulsing vibration. That had to use a nvh diagnostic tool to find it.

By any chance could you describe what you were feeling ?
2013 Ford Taurus SHO

glock-coma

Quote from: SHODRVR on April 24, 2017, 08:42:01 PM

It was a pulsing drone/vibration that started around 55mph and would taper off around 80.
The dealer was just throwing parts at it trying to fix it.
4 New wheel bearings, PTU,drive shaft,
AWD control module.
They had my car for 67 days...
Then they called in a tech from out of state. He used a noise vibration harshness diagnostics tool.
He found the issue in about a day.

SHODRVR

Quote from: glock-coma on April 24, 2017, 09:00:39 PM
Quote from: SHODRVR on April 24, 2017, 08:42:01 PM

It was a pulsing drone/vibration that started around 55mph and would taper off around 80.
The dealer was just throwing parts at it trying to fix it.
4 New wheel bearings, PTU,drive shaft,
AWD control module.
They had my car for 67 days...
Then they called in a tech from out of state. He used a noise vibration harshness diagnostics tool.
He found the issue in about a day.

Thats pretty much what Im dealing with starts around 60 till 80 smooths out after 80. Feels as if it comes in waves . Its super annoying, i just want a smooth ride. Thats great that that dealer went above and beyond it seems to find a fix for you. The RDU is that the same as the rear differential ? I cant find any information on an RDU. How much did it run to fix. Did it involve a full replacement or a rebuild ?
2013 Ford Taurus SHO

glock-coma

The RDU is the same as rear differential. It was still under the 3/36 warranty at the time.
From what the service advisor explained they are not repaired, and replacement RDU's are built as needed so it took about 2 weeks to get the part in.
The RDU is circled. It's the entire assembly.

Here's a pic of my receipt after I picked up the car.

SHODRVR

Thanks for the information. Made to order..... ugh this is not good . Im out of powertrain warranty by 3k miles. At 58k I had the PTU changed and 2 turbos. Sounds like a rear diff. will be a pretty penny
2013 Ford Taurus SHO

SHOdded

4   GB5P-4000-AB   Differential Assembly
Carrier
TAURUS
$1,051.57   $846.52

You can always put in a call to Ford for assistance seeing as you are not far out of warranty.  Also have the driveshaft bearings checked to make sure that thing is not next in line.

Ramairetransam

Oh boy sounds like what i went through and it never got fixed even though i was covered under the 4yr 50k warranty . Love that lincoln warranty .

tires road force balance
tires re road for balanced 500 miles later
dealer i bought from paid for new tires
tires mounted balanced and road forced
driveshaft replace
ptu replaced
wheels and tires swapped on from another vehicle
driveshaft swapped from another vehicle
wne to another dealer, this would be the 4th
replaced front struts
service manager felt vibration
road forced the tires
swapped wheels and tires from another vehicle
swapped driveshaft

get called and said its within spec cars ready . This was over 2 and a half months , many loaners , a few long trips to the last dealer who is 70 miles from my house.
got a 400 dollar check from lincoln and bought new rotors and pads front and back and did it myself
still had the vibration

Its been about 2000 or 2500 miles since i've been to the dealer and as of the last 2 or 3 weeks i don't notice the vibration . It was there after i did the brakes and i torqued the wheels on properly . so as of now my car is great and is fixed .

Or yeah i also have the battery replaced after 4 places tested it and i was getting the battery saver mode on shut off. New battery and the correct reset didn't help . So i disconnected the sensor on the negative ground cable by the battery . That fixed the issue and the voltage regulator on the alternator controls charge . Thanks for nothing ford/lincoln .

So i got the car and then got new tires out of it , driveshaft , ptu, and brakes. Everything is good for now . glad i got the extended warranty till 140k and 2020 .
13 Mks Ecoboost